Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
by Pedro
[Today at 11:43:29 am]
Re: Nato Troops in Australia
by doomsdayprepper4570
[November 13, 2018, 09:22:06 pm]
Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
by Hoopy
[November 13, 2018, 09:02:19 pm]
Re: Nato Troops in Australia
by 0zprepz0
[November 13, 2018, 07:16:36 pm]
Re: Off Grid Heating
by Prepper03
[November 13, 2018, 04:48:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2030
  • *Latest: Nugget

• *Total Posts: 50311
  • *Total Topics: 4457
  • *Online Today: 93
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 52
  • *Total: 53

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do we really need guns  (Read 2777 times)

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
Do we really need guns
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:20 am »

In response to the general feeling in recent posts on 'Forum dying' and
in particular, the suggested topic by ddp4570 bemoaning gun control by our oppressors,
I would like to start (restart?) discussion on gun possession.

This from a preppers view, not day to day self defence - that will just bog down
discussions that won't help much in a SHTF situation.

In a SHTF event there is no return to normality. Your job no longer exists,
the supermarkets will have no food after a very short period and when your
supply of fuel runs out there wont be any easily available.

So, when the SHTF event occurs, it seems reasonable to expect that after a very short
while, the civilised, rational, compassionate beings that we all are at the moment,
will become rather self centred and will seek to obtain basic needs by whatever means.

So, are you going to be one of the 'Mad Max' crowd and obtain food for you and your family by any means?
If so, a gun would be handy.

No, of course not, you will remain the compassionate, caring person you have always been and only
want to protect what essentials you need for you and your adorable snotty nose kids.
If so, a gun would be handy.

My point is that maybe if everyone had access to guns we may be no better off than the current situation.

If everyone had guns, you could expect that anyone approaching your home, retreat etc would be armed.
You too would be armed, so you could have a fine old shootout in which you - as the good guy, win,
(with maybe a minor flesh wound for realism aka John Wayne).

With the current laws in place at the time of SHTF, some would have guns but most (city folk anyway),
would not, but you will probably find out the hard way if they do have.

My suggestion is that self preservation strategies should be worked out NOW, so that when the time
comes you already know what to do, where to go, how to get there and how to AVOID a confrontation
while preserving your essential daily needs.
If you already have a gun, fine, it may help, as will a bow, spear, boomerang?

If you have already worked out what, where and how and know you location well,
you will have a significant advantage over the hungry, tired, desperate stranger that finally arrives
on your doorstep.
Maybe you could completely confuse them by giving them something to eat, a place to rest and an offer
to join your group (bit of caution needed on that one).

But this is a forum so lets hear some rational arguments for or against guns and maybe tactics
for surviving in spite of attentions from your fellow man (and woman of course - got to be PC).

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Do we really need guns
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:02 am »

I regard the few guns I have as tools. In a SHTF scenario they could / would be even more important. My legs aren't good enough to catch a feral sheep to slit it's throat so a gun would be handy for that. Guns can be used to keep the wolves at bay. Or to do yourself in when you simply can't go on any longer and the pain is too much to bear. Yep. I reckon we need a gun or two.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 12:03:26 pm »

Same here, having a rifle and ammo is a must if you leave like us in the outback.  There are many reasons for needing a good rifle up here   ;)

nbk308

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »

Guns are definately  necessary for self preservation and hunting. If you want to know what society is like when all hell breaks loose take a look at Bosnia in the 90s or the US after hurricane katrina.
Those without guns were at a huge disadvantage.

OzHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:07 pm »

The cross bow and battle axe and possibly the British long bow were the most superior weapons for thousand of years - were all replaced by muzzle loader only a few shots per minute - bur simplicity of use and limited time to train people to use them soon outclassed every other weapon. 

Making gun powder and getting a smooth pipe with some firing mechanism will likely still be better than most other weapons.  Sure the modern cross bow that is gas fired and has straight carbon fibre arrows is a far cry from earlier weapons.  The man with the gun powder takes or holds the castle.  Thousands of years of history cant be undone by some stealth prepper sneaking around in the bush with a bow and arrow...
We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:04:17 pm »

Firearms have been/are part of my rural life for over 45 years and so I for one consider them important for everyday property life. They have helped feed myself and my family for decades and also defend myself and friends (without firing a shot against those who were trying to harrass/attack us).
I could live without them, but choose not to. To make a usable rifle takes me 6 plus hours and 12-14 for a pistol. So as I have enough ammo for 3-5 lifetimes I would make what I needed if the need arose and I was untooled..
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:07 pm »

Be a cold day in hell when I don't have 3 good rifles and 2 good shotguns - they can take away all the others but not the last five. And ammo, don't forget ammo.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 10:42:38 pm »

Ammo and the makings are super important.
No ammo or components means rifle/pistol=club
But be aware there moves afoot to remove all firearms from all civilians.
Keep that in mind.
Once the pistols are taken then they will move on to the longarms and bows etc etc.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

gasman

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:26:31 am »

All of my prepper colleagues I know have firearm licenses
Many do their own food(either stick or hunt) and we all worry about future ammo and gun restrictions
The shs/ Adler shotgun s and rem 7600/7615 are common and a few wfa

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:11:22 am »

In Oz only approx 1 in 20 people have (legal) firearms, they have a real leg up on those that don't as statistically most people they encounter post-SHTF will not have a gun. The numbers are different in various areas though of course, for example my area has the highest gun ownership in the state last I heard.

I personally consider them a must-have for preppers.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 08:33:47 pm »

Ditto!

Sarsipius

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 07:54:29 pm »

I live in a suburban area of Adelaide and apart from one other guy I work with, no-one else I know has firearms. I only have a .22 and maybe get out to the range to use it 3 or 4 times a year. I'd be lucky to get out hunting 2 times a year. So, do I absolutely "need" it right now? General consensus would be "no." I however like having it and the feeling of security if I did need to bug out should SHTF. Sure, it wouldn't be the ideal firearm to have and I am looking into .223's, but the resource is there should I need to hunt small game to survive.

grenadier

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:29 am »

I would never "knock" the .22calibre whether it be for pistol or rifle. You can take red deer cleanly at 50 metres with a .22 if you can shoot.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 06:58:01 pm »

A match set.
22 rimfire bolt action with a can and a good 22 semi-auto pistol.
Easy to carry and ammo is cheap.
Do I need them?
Fuck yeah!

hailesellasie

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 03:23:36 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A match set.
22 rimfire bolt action with a can and a good 22 semi-auto pistol.
Easy to carry and ammo is cheap.
Do I need them?
Fuck yeah!
Doomy....I can only say amen to that brother..absolutely! If anyone thinks that it's ok not to have them or not to have any sort of weapon, they only fool themselves. Someone was saying not to get a compound as when it breaks, spares would be nigh impossible to find, rather get a longbow? I might get both anyway... ;) ;) ;)
Pages: [1] 2

Top Posters This Week