Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 51
  • *Total: 52

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 240

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 659399 times)

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: How did you prepare today?
« Reply #3345 on: May 06, 2018, 11:47:14 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nup. Pumping from the bore to wobblers.

then should it not be "irrigating" ;D

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3346 on: May 06, 2018, 12:21:04 pm »

Nup. Pumping from the bore to wobblers.

then should it not be "irrigating" ;D
I have difficulty pronouncing some words. E.G. I like segregated knives because they cut better.

sea-dove

« Reply #3347 on: May 10, 2018, 12:31:57 am »

Not much been happening here..  just struggling with life too much.. weekly physio etc etc (physio wanted to see me twice weekly).  A health assessment to my shock come out saying I need full time care so maybe I will get some extra home help now (I really dont know what they will do with me at this point).  I got near none of my autumn plantings in ....

Ive got so much here in a half prepping state :(  ..eg got my big rainwater tank but its still not connected to the house, I got my bee equipment and bee protection stuff all except the actual hive and bees (I'd probably try to catch a swarm myself but I will need the hive)  and still got my chicken tractor about 3/4ths done which i need to get finished before i can get a couple of chickens..  **sighs**

Anyway.. I did manage to get about a 3m by 1m area of the garden almost finished.. just one more large food plant to go there.  The gardener is coming next week to do some leveling for me so I can start on a different area which is about 1m by 8-9m, the area of where i live closest to the road so I'll have to really think about what food plants i put there.  I may move my edible flower plants down to there and some which look decorative plants but have leaves suitable for salads.

Last week i got a new native fruit tree and got that in. (a native finger lime).  To my surprise my baby mulberry tree actually is getting mulberries on it. 3 of my native berry plants are growing well but only one has had fruit on it so far (that had a very interesting fruity taste which was certainly okay to eat but diferent to anything Ive ever tasted so cant describe the taste).   So my edible garden is coming along but so so slow cause i cant do much at a time.

Ive also been eating my mouse melons (these are the size and texture of grapes, some say they taste like cucumber but i dont think that and to me they have their own taste which i find much nicer then a cucumber). Im still getting tomatoes growing so also picking them. The wild mini pumpkin died off so Ive harvested that.

The apricots from my tree that I stewed back in January .. Im still eating but Ive just finished all the ones I dried. Next year I'll have to make sure i get protective fruit nets on all the fruit and not just half of it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:54:37 am by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #3348 on: May 10, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »

Im fuming right now. I got a gardener for 2 hours, not a cheap one, he charged me $75 per hour but Id sure he had decent gardener qualifications and not just self taught.  Anyway, he shows up to do the TWO HOURS WORK, with 2 other guys, guys who obviously knew nothing about what they were doing as they went and destroyed stuff.

The main job I had which i wanted done was the level a very small area adjacent to the road (about a metre wide area running along), so I dont have water just running straight off of it and down the gutter.. I want to conserve as much water and have it staying on the garden as possible  (my front yard is on quite a slope).  So they do that for 20mins and tell me its done, I go to look and there is still quite a slope there so I tell them again that I want the water in that area to stay on the garden and not have it slopped towards the road and down drains so point out and say well that part needs more off of it (the guy then points to the low part and says "you dont want anything off of that" ***sighs, completely stupid.. im trying to get it at least level so why would i want more of the lowest part***..  so anyway, 5 mins later a guy tells me its done (by then the others are off doing other stuff here).

I go to look and its still hugely sloped.. seriously did he need glasses for his blindness. I thought about going and getting a spirit level at that point but just gave up feeling uncomfortable by this stupidness, I'll pay another to come in and do it. 

So why Im dealing with that.. the other two he'd brought with him who no doubt didnt have gardening qualifications were attacking the rest of my garden. I HAD a nice tree,  the garden guy had asked me if I wanted it pruned too asking as I'd told him about others I'd wanted prune.  This tree fairly okay and didnt really need a prune so I hadnt mentioned it but cause he asked I told him he could "lightly"  prune it.  Well I go out the back and find the other guys had CUT THE WHOLE TOP OF THE TREE.. now its basically a trunk.   WTF.  Im quite upset about this.

Then after they leave I go and check on other stuff and find that where they were doing the leveling out (which wasnt really done and i'll now be getting in someone else to do what they were supposed to).. well the dirt from that they threw over one of my young plants (an 10cm bush i'd grown from seed, its taken a  year to get that size).. it had no weeds around it as I keep it clear of things so could be easily seen but they'd just completely buried it under a metre wide and a foot and a half high pile of dirt.  I guess his two unqualified mates dont know the difference between plants and what is a weed.  So ive out in the rain trying with my hands to dig out and find this plant under a mound of dirt.  (dirt they were supposed to spread out into another area but obviously the garden guy had listening issues, the others werent about when I told him what I wanted done).

Then I discovered he's slipped with his whipper snipper and cut one of my food vines in half by accident.. it had to be the part with all the flowers for the fruit which has been cut off (soooo not happy, it was the only way of those plants I had and I was looking forward to tasting what its fruit was going to be like but now I'll probably have to wait another year).    He whipper snipped in an area Ive told him to avoid cause I had that plant there. 

Finally he left everything he moved to cut a small area of lawn.. everywhere. and the pots are too heavy for me to move back.. so now i have a jumbled mess of things over a section of my yard which i myself cant clean up.

Time to seek YET AGAIN a decent gardener. what in hell is wrong with the ones where I live..and why in hell bring 2 others who are unqualified to do work with you when you only have a 2hr job to do.  He wont be getting my $75 per hour again (maybe i should of refused to pay him that much seeing 2/3rds of the work was done by unqualified people)

and what is it with gardeners i hire rocking up with mates.  Thou a different situation, it reminds me of the time when I had a gardener who had a 1.5hr job to do arrive with a mate to help him (and he was only at my place to cut a lawn which wasnt bad and didnt even need whipper snipping first).  That one was unqualified and arrived drunk both him and his mate with bottles still in hand still drinking.  Ive only used gardeners with business licences to do gardening since then and now ones who have been in studies for this kind of thing but still having issues.   >:(  this is the second time since the drunken gardener issue in which more then one have come to do small jobs.

the gardener i had last time or maybe it was the one before that.. he mowed down some of my food plants which to replace a plant would of been $65 on ebay plus postage, they native food plants a type of edible orchid and this guy comes along and treated them as weeds, they were rare (and I couldnt get anywhere else).  He mowed them down saying they'd grow back but they didnt!!  He wasnt even meant to have been doing mowing here but something else but had pulled out his lawn mower and did that
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 05:19:36 pm by sea-dove »

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3349 on: May 11, 2018, 06:49:34 am »

Been busy. Pretty sure my old mum has early dementia. Weaning the first batch of heifers atm.
Got some more weaners to sell later this month as well. Building dog cages for the wife as we are going to increase our number of jack russell breeders. Days are still warm and nights very pleasant.
Heavy fogs have added to some ground moisture as well as 43 points of rain, after 6 weeks of nothing.
Got the costing for the parts for my dozer transmission ( $5,500 ) so it will will have to wait for a while.
Bloody pigs are growing like crazy and need to be killed and frozen. Takes hours cooking up grain everyday
to feed them. Firewood and corn grits are in high demand.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

sea-dove

« Reply #3350 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:01 pm »

I got myself a couple of new fruit trees today, now I just got to find someone to help me plant the things.

May not have shared that my phillipino neighbour has been eyeing my garden off as she saw something growing in it a month back which she said she'd never seen in  Australia before but had been looking for as it is a common food thing in the phillipines being that yam thing I got in a food hamper which I'd planted thinking it was probably some kind of Australian yam but then wasnt even sure if it was a yam.  She told me not just the tubers are eatable but also the leaves of that plant can be put into salads. So Ive promised her some tubers of it when it dies off (which she would happen during winter).

She ended up taking me on a tour of the hidden section of her garden out back and it was the amazing thing I've seen yet. She has heaps of various fruiting trees 2-2.5m trees growing every 1.5-2m, a lot of unusual ones and most of them fruits Ive never heard of before.. all growing in big pots. In this tiny area, its completely full of fruiting trees and to my amazement these things were growing in an area which nearly fully shaded as there was so many trees.  (there is nothing like what she's done even on youtube, all those fruit forest videos there are nothing compared to how much she has in such a small space)

She was also growing fruiting trees and had them growing so well ones that Ive always been lead to believe and everyone says need lots of sun.. but she's growing in mostly shade!!   so it was such eye opener what I see she's some how doing over there (she must have some of the worlds best green fingers, just the kind of neighbour you want to have  ;D .  So I had a bit of a tasting experience over in her yard of various fruits (this was all about a month back).

Anyway, so Ive  got a hidden orchid near me which was an exciting thing to find out about. (just as exciting as when I  found out I have a 30m pool in someones back yard a few houses down.. somewhere I could possibly get more water from to water plants if needed in a disaster (thou mine are almost all drought tollerant ones).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:53:23 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #3351 on: May 17, 2018, 12:30:47 pm »

I brought one of those potato grow bags last year from ebay,  the ones which have a bottom section which opens so to collect the potatoes from down there. So today I finally filled it up with soil and the compost mix I get free and planted some potatoes in it to test it out and compare how it goes with the two polystyrene large white boxes I have currently growing potatoes in.

anyone tried those potato growing bags? if so how did they work for you? Growing potatoes in tyres never works great for me
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:32:19 pm by sea-dove »

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #3352 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:32 pm »

Growing potatoes in tyres never works great for me

Didn't work for us either.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

grenadier

« Reply #3353 on: May 18, 2018, 09:43:47 pm »

I cut the spuds so there is an eye in each piece, drop on top of dug soil and cover with 4 inches of hay. Works everytime for me. Nice clean spuds.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3354 on: May 19, 2018, 07:53:05 am »

I turned over a bit of the garden & put up two trellises for the wife to plant snow peas. Hope the ducks do not find them.

The passionfruit are bearing well this year.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3355 on: May 19, 2018, 07:56:31 am »

My oranges, mandarins & custard apples are colouring up nicely.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #3356 on: May 19, 2018, 08:04:26 pm »

I cut the spuds so there is an eye in each piece, drop on top of dug soil and cover with 4 inches of hay. Works everytime for me. Nice clean spuds.

Yeah we did that and it worked well, it's just the tyre thing that didn't, it was last summer, maybe they got too hot.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3357 on: May 21, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »

Well wife has a heap of winter greens planted and some are out of transplant shock and forging on.
Snow peas are up and growing well.
Bloody turkeys are looking tastier by the day after eating the baby pawpaw tree leaves! :(
Clearing some fence lines and putting out a fair bit of velpar to keep the premier happy.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

grenadier

« Reply #3358 on: May 22, 2018, 05:03:55 pm »

At the bug out block,preparing to burn heaps of pushed titree, and did my bloody back in. Wimped off home. Crunt.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3359 on: May 22, 2018, 06:03:38 pm »

Working working and working at present!
Not much prepping a all!
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 240

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
pinhead 1