Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Pedro
[Today at 12:24:37 pm]
Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by pinhead
[Today at 10:57:39 am]
Re: Taking my BOB for a shakedown cruise
by Arkane
[December 16, 2018, 12:58:15 pm]
Easy food hack PSHTF
by Hoopy
[December 15, 2018, 09:44:51 pm]
Re: Hi from Brisbane
by Hoopy
[December 14, 2018, 07:03:23 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50485
  • *Total Topics: 4474
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 28
  • *Total: 29

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: companies that sell heirloom seeds  (Read 13210 times)

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
companies that sell heirloom seeds
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:54:45 pm »

Hey guys,

apart from diggers club, does anyone know of another reputable companies that do heirloom seeds , in particular temperatd climates.
I have got some seeds off ebay and am really not sure if they are exactly what they say they are.
I havent had any issues yet, but want to savd seeds and dont want to get stuck with sterile seeds for SHTF.

Thanks guys
Never Underestimate The Predictability Of Stupidity, It Will Bite You In The Ass Everytime.

Bullshit Detective

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • Young,Intelligent,fit & prepared~darwins best bet
Re: companies that sell heirloom seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »

These guys are my go to guys

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They also have a place where you can search for local distributors.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:02:08 pm by Bullshit Detective »
All my mates thought I was a bit nuts, then we broke down while out bush. Now they all prep.

lew

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:51:07 pm »

When these guys started it was more of a swap setup,
not had much to do with them in past 20 years but back then got some great rare productive seeds that had been in families for generations.

Philmoon

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:20:21 pm »

I bought from ebay.  massive sack of seeds...  Paperwork says willow brook cottage...  Will look online tomorrow for ebay seller (will also tell you how much i offered and was excepted for seeds..) so far planted 25 variety...  Have almost all grew...  Well labelled with instructions...  Very happy here :) 

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »

Hey guys.  Thanks for the additional sites to buy seeds. Prefer to have seeds from Lots of sources to stop inbreeding of some plant varieties and ensure if there is an issue with the seed supply from 1 particular supplier I am not left on my ass with lots of dud seeds. Thanks again guys for the reply
Never Underestimate The Predictability Of Stupidity, It Will Bite You In The Ass Everytime.

Bullshit Detective

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 12:28:14 am »

You realise that some plants contain pollen and ovaries right?

they fertilise themself, ie a small gene pool isn't an issue.
All my mates thought I was a bit nuts, then we broke down while out bush. Now they all prep.

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:18:13 am »

Hi BS. If you do a little research on the topic of inbreeding depression which effects multiple types of plants. You need to plant as little as 6 different plants of the same plant to ensure genetic diversity and vigor. There is more information on the website
Thanks guys

Bullshit Detective

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:01 am »

Hi BS. If you do a little research on the topic of inbreeding depression which effects multiple types of plants. You need to plant as little as 6 different plants of the same plant to ensure genetic diversity and vigor. There is more information on the website
Thanks guys

I've done my fair share of research on genetics to the degree where I can talk about self incompatibility and self fertilization of plants which are completely opposite ends of the spectrum.

Aswell as the above mentioned plants can have several different genes to avoid this as an evolutionary measures as they don't have cultural stigma and practices to avoid genetic deformities.

My point being is that there will be some plants that you seriously don't have to worry about as the single seed will contain enough genetic diversity to keep in "fit" as to not die for many generations.

Then again there will be some plants that it does matter for.

All I was trying to say was that some plants you don't have to worry about so don't go buying a different genetic line for every seed you own. I well educated of genetics maybe some research of your own is needed.

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 02:07:17 am »

Yeah well that makes perfect sense BS. That's what I was trying to work out about the genetic lines.  I was unsure if by entering a new genetic line it would ensure that j did not get in breeding.  New to this gardening thing so my assumption is that if k keep at least 5 or 6 of my broccoli to seed I would keep a strong genetic base. BS would there be any harm in me purchading tbe same seed from an additional supplier and sowing them both or you think it would be over the top?

Bullshit Detective

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 03:57:14 am »

Yeah well that makes perfect sense BS. That's what I was trying to work out about the genetic lines.  I was unsure if by entering a new genetic line it would ensure that j did not get in breeding.  New to this gardening thing so my assumption is that if k keep at least 5 or 6 of my broccoli to seed I would keep a strong genetic base. BS would there be any harm in me purchading tbe same seed from an additional supplier and sowing them both or you think it would be over the top?

Would there be any harm? nope none at all, in fact I would encourage it if you are unsure of the plants specific genetic traits and you intend of gathering some seeds for future growing.

If you are new to the whole gardening thing I will tell you now that certain plants will have a stage where if you leave the seeds on the plant too long all those seeds will become seeds that only produce female plants. This is known as auto femenising just remember that this can happen you don't want to end up with only female plants.
For some this wont matter but for some it will it could mean no fruit.

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 04:54:50 am »

Does it matter if the plants are self pollinating like tomatoes?  Is it still possible for the seeds to become female only.  Sorry bout all the q's

Speewah

• likes to see preppers old & new treated with respect & courtesy
  • Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:06 am »

I bought from ebay.  massive sack of seeds...  Paperwork says willow brook cottage...  Will look online tomorrow for ebay seller (will also tell you how much i offered and was excepted for seeds..) so far planted 25 variety...  Have almost all grew...  Well labelled with instructions...  Very happy here :)

lew

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:24:01 am »

I wouldn't stress too much re the inbreeding of the plants, many have built in protection against this, male and female parts of the plant mature at different times, some requiring separate male and female plants and so on. I would be just as concerned about creating sterile or non productive off spring, also need to bear in mind, those f1 hybrid seeds you buy in the fancy little packets are created for 1 generation only of high yield, avoid them but remember that the standard plants may not yield as well or be as resilient.
Again, another reason to be prepping and planting as early as possible, find out what works for you and your conditions. I am attempting many different crops, but most are not making the cut and will not be continued as they are too much work, too little yield etc.

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:27 am »

Hey Speewah. Thanks for that website.  Have already stayed checking it out.
Lew I have only been collecting heirloom seeds and have beem growing as many different plants as possible.  About to plant seeds for my roma and cherri tomatoes  that I collected from last year
 Fingerd crossed. Am really enjoying gardening and seed collection and learning as much as I can about the foods I eat and grow. I am with you though as there are a few types of tomatoes that I have cut out and will never grow again.

Dabby

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »

Hey there,

We've been using You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for our seeds. I've had great yields from them. You can buy bulk seeds too. They have a good variety - heirloom, etc. non-gm, rare and heritage varieties. Good quality too - out of all of the seeds I've sources from these guys, the only ones that never sprouted were the Nasturtiums.

Cheers!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Arkane 1
pinhead 1
Pedro 1