Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 38
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 24
  • *Total: 26

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Safest place in Australia  (Read 6381 times)

rwa

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
Re: Safest place in Australia
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 09:26:21 am »

Safest place in Oz would be the middle of the Simpson Desert - but you'll die there slowly in Winter, quickly in Summer. You could have a B Double full of food/water and you still wont last long! If you are expecting to have to "go" somewhere in a SHTF event you better think carefully. I see Sydney people saying Bathurst/Lithgow/Mudgee is the place to be - BS! People will be swarming over the Blue Mountains like ants - all with the same idea. Ive lived in Sydney and grew up in the foothills of the Blue Mountains - if you have to become self sufficient you need to get the hell away from people - and especially the "lines of drift" as I have seen it termed.

There are thousands of little places tucked away in rugged mountains, in the foothills and at the end of dirt tracks that run off dirt roads that run off minor roads that run off ..... get the idea? I had an almost perfect 40 acre block of creek flats on a permanent creek with crappy access that I just sold to buy the 600 acres next door that IS about as perfect as it is possible to get. Permanent water, game rich, enough deep creek flats to grow anything you want climate permitting - only one neighbour (the guy I sold the other place to) and at the end of the firetrail, so only one way in and one way out. No vehicular access by any other means, just bush for miles - hellishly hard to get to. These places are out there. Work on solar for a few basic necessities coz the power wont stay on for long.

Water. Got that? WATER!!!!! You cant grow anything without it and West of the divide, unless you are up North, rainfall isn't that great. If you want to hunker down and look after yourself you need LOTS of water. If you haven't farmed you have no idea how much water a garden the size of the average suburban block really needs. West of the great divide is a rainshadow and the further West you go the worse it gets. There is only agriculture out there because they pinch a lot of water that would have gone East and send it West. Y'reckon that will still happen if TSHTF?

You people in Sydney - think South of Nowra and North of Newcastle all the way to the Vic/Qld borders. West of the Princes/Pacific Highways there are literally hundreds of bush blocks. Might be 100 acres but as long as there are 5 or 6 that can be farmed, you have enough. The rough bush part keeps the price down. Truck in a few shipping containers - you can live in them if you have to but they will have to be lined with ply or particle board, the thicker the better.

One more thing, you wont live off the land for long. Not because the game will be shot out in no time at all like it will be in the US, UK or Euro, but because a diet of protein only is OK for dogs, not people. You need a garden/orchard and that needs ..... WATER, remember?

Gippsland Prepper had the right idea, get outta Melbourne and be far enough away from the dump the sheeple cant reach you. You people in Adelaide I'm afraid - are stuffed and you shouldn't be there. Never been to Perth so don't know how you are fixed. Tassie is like Canberra, Winters are bitterly cold so look at your house and work out how to heat it without electricity/LPG. No wood fireplace, no means to get PLENTY if you do? You are stuffed too. There is a reason ducks in the Northern Hemisphere go South for the Winter!

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 09:51:24 am »

Damn straight!  Stay out of my desert. >:( 
I don't want the place getting all crowded with refugees from the settled areas.  ;) 

... although ... if I can lure you all in and juice you ... I could water my garden without resorting to using any of that artesian water :o  ;) ;D ;D

'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

rwa

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 10:03:44 am »

You can have it! I've worked out there on the fringes, went for a trip around the old stamping grounds last Winter and it's all yours.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 08:35:40 am »

I recommend all sheeples to go to the desert as I feel they will be able to adapt there in a year or so.
Best not to take extra food or water as it is too heavy and you may not be able to carry your mobile phone
and laptop. I am sure someone will be there to help them! :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »

Bitterly cold in Tas ,nah don,t think so , has been milder again this year ,at home here on coast never got below zero , coldest day was 2 degrees and we have wood heater in house and shed plus restoring combustion stove that I,m restoring for outdoor kitchen that will heat hot water if needs be, I must admit that upat the cabin it has been down to minus 8 this year but that's overnight not daytime , heating yes a barrel heater from an old 44 heats every inch of the place plus the combustion stove heats hot water now ,firewood don,t think I,ll ever use what's there in my lifetime
I,m pretty sure with what we have and the skills our small family group have from military , building and hunting backgrounds we will continue to survive unless we get nuked or something
Oh and on power side have 1 K solar on shed , 5 k solar on home and 2 k one on cabin so pretty much covered there to , plus plenty of game up the cabin to. Live on plus enclosed veggie gardens at both places , happy yeah but took years of work to get all setup ,

Cheers Paddler ;D ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:33:59 am by Paddler »
A ship should not ride on a single anchor or life on a single hope ???

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 09:21:18 am »

I am sure paddler you need to be labeled a bigger kook than me and I have been at it for years!
Congrats on the setups and let us hope they serve you well in times to come. 8)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

formalitax

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 04:56:54 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Gippsland Prepper had the right idea, get outta Melbourne and be far enough away from the dump the sheeple cant reach you. You people in Adelaide I'm afraid - are stuffed and you shouldn't be there.

Is "WATER" your biggest concern with SA (besides the gap) or something else?

What do you think of the south east?

rwa

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:15 am »

The South East of South Ozzie you mean formalitax? Could be OK, been so long since I was down around Mannum/Murray Bridge that I wasn't really looking at it from a preppers viewpoint. Drove through from Renmark to Port Augusta then up the middle again last Winter - Clare/Crystalbrook is part of the wheat belt so rainfall must be reasonable but the whole state is a bit short of rivers (Murray excluded) and creeks. Port Augusta gets 10" annual rainfall so it technically desert - get their water pumped in from Mannum I think (at least they used to, willing to be corrected on that if anyone knows for sure?).

If you are looking to be self sufficient you need food, water, shelter as the basic "big three". Having 5 or more acres will allow you to grow all the stuff you need if the soil is good enough and you rotate it but you have to water it - in low rainfall areas like SA you MUST have the ability to irrigate. Come Spring you plant your crops, it shoots and no rain for 3 weeks? Guess what, you are stuffed!

So, in your plans you need to factor in WATER. Either lots of tanks collecting off the roofs of whatever buildings you have or earth walled dams in gullies. If dams are out of the question that leaves tanks - and you have no idea how much water a 1/4 acre garden will soak up, especially when you reach harvest time when the temperatures are hitting the high 30's, even the 40's as is common in SA.

You can mitigate water wastage by mulching and drip watering but you still need lots.

Spent a lot of time living and working in the drier areas of SA, NSW and Qld on various properties pro shooting. When you see 44 gallon drums collecting water from the roof of an outside dunny you get an idea of just how serious the subject of water collection and wastage is taken.

I wouldn't choose anywhere in SA to hunker down in but if you are there you have to make the most of it. Going to be a tough gig though. If I was on a few acres (or even more) that wouldn't support a dam, I'd have 5,000 gallon poly tanks on everything that will catch water - chook house included!

Good luck and all the best in your search formalitax.

formalitax

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 11:31:39 am »

Many thanks rwa!

I'm with you on all fronts.

SE of SA isn't quite as bad for water nearer cape jervis about 7-800mm annual long term BUT tanks / dam a must.

Has been "wet" the past 18mths in SA and a warmer winter with "summer" veggies seeing out the winter - definite warming going on - colder peak days overall during winter BUT warmer average.

We're a family of gardners who need to work on self-protection

My missus raises chooks and I cook the bugga's BUT as my old man used to say, chooks are pets and better as egg producers, especially during a downturn, as long as u can keep the foxes out which are an issue even 20k's out of the CBD!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:11 pm »

I seem to recall sa had some severe drought conditions a while ago.
Like everywhere else it can be good and it can be real bad!
Do a lot of research and have an area where there are huge water reserves is the best advice I can give.
0 water = 0 life  :o ;)
Pages: 1 [2]

Top Posters This Week