Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Climate change
by Arkane
[November 15, 2018, 10:21:18 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by odzy
[November 15, 2018, 07:53:53 am]
by grenadier
[November 14, 2018, 09:20:05 pm]
by Gympiegoat
[November 14, 2018, 07:10:19 pm]
Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
by Paddler
[November 14, 2018, 06:27:35 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2030
  • *Latest: Nugget

• *Total Posts: 50328
  • *Total Topics: 4457
  • *Online Today: 110
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 55
  • *Total: 55
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Tactical Pens  (Read 11557 times)

angophora

Tactical Pens
« on: October 04, 2014, 01:57:40 pm »

Hi all,

I notice a lot mentioned about carrying blades as an edc, but here in Victoria it gets you a hefty fine.  What do people think about tactical pens instead?  Does anyone know the legislation on them?

Tom

jimmylewis2000

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Always have a months worth!
Re: Tactical Pens
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:30:04 pm »

If they can prove intent to do harm even in defence its the same as having a knife.
I aim to do the best I can for as many as I can.
When shtf it is us that will rebuild the world.
A new and better world.

PakkyPrepper

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »

I carry an Uzi tactical pen with glass breaker every day as part of my mild-mannered office worker prepper disguise.  It is my first line of defense weapon.  I have carried it inconspicuously for years without any problems and can demonstrate to anyone who ever asks that I use it for writing notes. It is not an offence to possess one of these in a public place in Victoria, unlike an edged weapon.
Look ahead, see what's coming and prepare the best you can to help others.

jimmylewis2000

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Always have a months worth!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »

If you mean an actual pen then Pakkyprepper is right if you mean the kubaton style with no ink its illegal.
I assumed you meant the later.
I aim to do the best I can for as many as I can.
When shtf it is us that will rebuild the world.
A new and better world.

Bullshit Detective

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • Young,Intelligent,fit & prepared~darwins best bet
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:28:49 pm »

This is a legal grey area.

From my understanding they are legal to carry and own and not considered a weapon.
However if they can prove you bought it with the intention cause physical harm to someone even in a defence manner you may very well be fighting a weapons charge.

For example when the police take the pen as evidence and see that it is manufactured by UZI and by design is intended to double as weapon a reasonable argument could be made that it is in fact a weapon.

My advice is to get a pen that is not linked to weapons company. A nice stainless steel pen that could double for a weapon but isn't designed for such purpose would provide a much better defence than...

"the pen that I bought from an Israeli weapons manufacture that was built to be used as a covert weapon, yeah well it isn't actually a weapon"

That being said, it's better to be tried by twelve people in a jury than have carried by six in your coffin.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:30:28 pm by Bullshit Detective »
All my mates thought I was a bit nuts, then we broke down while out bush. Now they all prep.

Surviveordie

• ozprep.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 03:39:33 pm »

Tactical Pens are for self defense, knives in EDC are for survival not self defense. If you are looking at something for self defense I would say learn martial arts, having one of those pens will not help you defend yourself without first knowing some form of martial arts.

But yes, the Tactical Pen is something that would be good in your EDC  however you could make one yourself very easily as they are just a steel rod with a pen refill. If your attacker is coming at you with a weapon you should be able to disarm them and put them on the ground quickly without a weapon. Having something in your hands like that limits your ability to defend yourself properly.

If someone came at me with a knife I would definitely not have one of them or a knife in my hand, open hand tactics is the only safe way to disarm them without a gun and if they have a gun, again that isn't going to help you, you have to have empty hands to disarm a person with a gun.

Although this will spark a bit of an argument as martial arts is a very personal thing I would have to say shaolin kung fu is the best form of martial arts out there. I have done multiple forms however this one is teaches you the best way (in my view only) to defend yourself.
The how to site for preppers
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Vanish without a trace

PakkyPrepper

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 10:38:44 pm »

I agree BD that the uzi tactical pen is probably not the best brand name to be carried into an altercation that may involve the police, although I could argue that I like the solid design of this pen (as a writing implement) much better than your standard bic. 

I just wanted to emphasize that having one of these tactical pens on hand to defend yourself from attack is a much wiser, legally defensible and less conspicuous choice than resorting to your EDC blade.
Look ahead, see what's coming and prepare the best you can to help others.

Enigmasus

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:04:42 pm »

you can carry what ever you like, just don't get caught. that's where it get tricky. it all depends on the guy doing the search and whether he got some last night. I have been searched several times by NSW State rail renta cops, by the Police, and the new renta cops of state rail. I have had one pen confiscated,
I am 6ft, 100 kilos, moderately tattooed and ride a bike most times, but due to where I work, cheaper n more convenient to train it.

i will go further in the EDC post as to what else i carry.
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand
truly by each other and fight to defend our
rights and liberties

Surviveordie

• ozprep.com
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 10:22:15 pm »

Saw this a few weeks ago at the markets so picked up a few, not really the best thing to have on you as you will get in trouble for having it. But it takes "Tactical Pens" to a different level.

Not mentioning for the "must buy" or "ideal BOB" addition, just showing to let you know what is out there.

See attached image below.

Vanish without a trace

BushRanger

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:06 pm »

How strong are the blades SurviveorDie? It looks like a letter opener but serrations? I just broke the tip off a similar tool prying broken dowel from a chair. How much and which market brother?

Surviveordie

• ozprep.com
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

Hey BushRanger, the first time I saw them the end cap was a little tight, took a little effort and got the cap off to reveal the knife and it cut me. So more than a letter opener for sure.

Very sharp knife, strength of it though I would have to say not very, good steel blade however if you use it to pry dowel out or anything other than just cutting it will most likely break out of the casing.

I picked mine up from Khaosan Road markets in Thailand. They where about $1 each I think but I bought 20 of them for about $10.

Vanish without a trace

aussiesurvivorman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 09:06:10 pm »

I carry a genuine bullet pen made from .308 rifle shells. Great weapon in a pinch. I want a Gerber Impromptu or an Uzi though.

olivercollins52

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:49 am »

There's nothing harder than standing up for yourself. It's very  that there are some devices that can help you with this.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Hope, it's will be useful for you.  :D

olivercollins52

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 12:52:40 am »

There's nothing harder than standing up for yourself. It's very  good that there are some devices that can help you with this.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Hope, it's will be useful for you.  :D

Top Posters This Week