Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Alarm mine.
by Scout
[Today at 07:51:09 am]
Re: Medicinal Tee
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 06:18:30 am]
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 05:43:41 am]
by odzy
[Today at 05:33:02 am]
Re: Bullion as a prep?
by odzy
[Today at 05:31:02 am]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1696
  • *Latest: Kelenrai

• *Total Posts: 41674
  • *Total Topics: 3768
  • *Online Today: 77
  • *Most Online: 406
(February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 42
  • *Total: 43

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Is Urban Survival Possible?  (Read 12961 times)

Offgrid

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: Is Urban Survival Possible?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2015, 07:56:08 pm »

You need to stay fit, regardless of what you do in life. But I can't go for a run unless someone's chasing me with a chainsaw. But, then again, living out on a large property as I do means quite a bit of trekking all over the place......

Gideon

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2015, 08:02:12 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You need to stay fit, regardless of what you do in life. But I can't go for a run unless someone's chasing me with a chainsaw. But, then again, living out on a large property as I do means quite a bit of trekking all over the place......

I can chase you if you like....  ;)

Token

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2015, 10:19:56 am »

gympiegoat

The only meat any use to you is the meat YOU can get
most of us are on or close to the east coast, if the meat is not on the eastern coastal area it wont exist as food just myth!

Though if you are over the ranges a bit there will be more meat than you can eat while the coastal fringe will be over hunted and becoming a vegan might become compulsory! :)

There's meat everywhere on the eastern coast and in the big cities, it just depends on what you want to eat and your skill base in getting it. There is also no way that meat will 'run out' in our country, there are far too many numbers and far too few people who know how to get it. 

The issue with trying to stay alive in the big cities would not be trying to find a feed if you needed it, especially if you are of the small amount of people preparing such as us. The issue would be security. Groups already organised such as 'clubs' of sorts or 'gangs' would set new standards and rule through force generally. Security would become their main issue as well, in order to hold control.

I would be tempted to some degree to visit a city but the issue I fear would be the high buildings and look outs awaiting you. If a person is stationed at a position up high, with binoculars or a scope, they only have to look at one point, whereas a person travelling on the ground has to look everywhere. Chances are youd take a bullet, try the sewers and come up from there to different points, but then again........
Prepping now and prepped for eternity.

Gideon

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2015, 10:26:25 am »

gympiegoat

most of us are on or close to the east coast, if the meat is not on the eastern coastal area it wont exist as food just myth!

Though if you are over the ranges a bit there will be more meat than you can eat while the coastal fringe will be over hunted and becoming a vegan might become compulsory! :)

There's meat everywhere on the eastern coast and in the big cities, it just depends on what you want to eat and your skill base in getting it. There is also no way that meat will 'run out' in our country, there are far too many numbers and far too few people who know how to get it. 

The issue with trying to stay alive in the big cities would not be trying to find a feed if you needed it, especially if you are of the small amount of people preparing such as us. The issue would be security. Groups already organised such as 'clubs' of sorts or 'gangs' would set new standards and rule through force generally. Security would become their main issue as well, in order to hold control.

I would be tempted to some degree to visit a city but the issue I fear would be the high buildings and look outs awaiting you. If a person is stationed at a position up high, with binoculars or a scope, they only have to look at one point, whereas a person travelling on the ground has to look everywhere. Chances are youd take a bullet, try the sewers and come up from there to different points, but then again........

Not sure why anyone would want to stay and try to survive in a city. There is better meat out bush as everyone knows. Let all the gangs live on pigeons while I sit by my campfire and enjoy baked fish or roo steak followed by damper and a cup of earl grey tea with a high energy fruit and nut bar for dessert.

Token

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2015, 10:54:14 am »

gympiegoat

Not sure why anyone would want to stay and try to survive in a city. There is better meat out bush as everyone knows. Let all the gangs live on pigeons while I sit by my campfire and enjoy baked fish or roo steak followed by damper and a cup of earl grey tea with a high energy fruit and nut bar for dessert.

thanks a whole bunch bro, I haven't had breakfast yet and you go talking bout food again...yum! ;D
Prepping now and prepped for eternity.

Offgrid

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2015, 08:23:00 pm »

In '76 I "walked" from everything and moved off under a parachute on my first 40 acres.....

From metro NYC...to a parachute. It was a very long time ago. I had no choice but to survive...and learn. It's nothing you wouldn't have done, either. Here, in Northern Rivers...it can be Paradise. You just need to guarantee your food, water, transportation and electricity...independent of the rest of the world.

I hope to learn a few things on this site......

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »

Time to fire up some of these old links as things are getting closer!
If you need to loose weight then now is the time before you end up as someone else's spit roast! :o ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

BleedingGumsCityFool

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2017, 05:58:50 pm »

The dying of the population wouldn't happen as quickly as you imagine. 

1/3 of homes in Australia have water catchment

Exactly this.

Not only this but a lot of people will also go and put their garbage bins underneath the downpipes and cut the downpipe in half so it pours the rainwater into the garbage tank. I do this exact thing.

In addition to this, urban survival is not only possible its been done the world over. Just look at how shit things have gotten in Africa throughout the 90s and up until today. Just because you have very little food and no house doesn't mean you die straight away, all you need is a feed once a week and we have plenty of water. It will get either REALLY shit or the population will bottom out and we will have another golden age.

You want to see what its gonna be like? Just think of those ads on tv about dying starving kids in africa. And check out the city slums of africa and the middle east, and russia, thats what we are up against at its worst. Sure people will die but people will also continue to live too. Its just gonna be another shitty version of current day society, cept theres no cops, very little food, and if global warming doesn't significantly change the climate on the eastern coast of australia, we'll have plenty of water.

By the way you can feed mosquito larvae to guppies then feed guppies to larger fish then eat the larger fish. Its not humane but hey... And you can feed the guppy fry ground up (into a fine powder) blue green algae/cyanobacteria which grows like crazy if you add fertilizer to the water.

And chickens are easy as piss to care for and taste great!

If you gotta cook something then look no further than a solar oven.

In addition to this I wouldn't be suprised if the government will mandate that power stations will be a top priority and will do everything to keep things going, combine this with the massive uptake of grid-tie solar power systems and the widespread popularity of the Tesla Powerwall batteries. This means that people will still have tablets, phones and computers. We might even still have electric cars. Dude we've got it made in Australia, all this sunshine would make us a world power.

The US will collapse like a deck of cards though, shame, but I can do without Hollywood. Seriously though its like watching Rome 2.0 over there, oh and fuck the Kardashians... Over there they still have incandescent globes all throughout the house, think that huge F-series Ford trucks will be able to run on farts and hot air. And couldn't give a shit about installing solar on their houses at least not anywhere near as much as we do here in Australia. And they keep on rebuilding in cyclone/tornado zones. Seriously? They're delusional.

We are all a very smart and very capable species and I don't think that for one minute that we will lose complete and total control over our society. Not again. We're not as stupid as we were in the dark ages.

And no I'm not bugging out, if I do it will be temporary and I'll come back to suburbia, society is gonna make it through no matter what comes at us. In fact I'm starting to get into mass food production using Hydroponics and Aquaponics and breeding fish for money. I've got solar on my house and I want to get a Prius at some point in the future. I'll be FINE.

But money. That is gonna fuck off for good. Bring on gold and bartering! and bitcoins yeah!

If you guys wanna go out into the middle of nowhere and get sunburnt go right ahead, I'll be here in suburbia shopping for a new mansion that has been long since abandoned, putting my feet up and setting up the collapsible tanks out the back. Or hell screw it, turn the pool into a freshwater pond.

We're all gonna get through it together as one single species. The strongest stones are formed from the hardest conditions and people pull together in situations where people die. That is what society was built upon and why we stay together even today instead of tearing each other apart.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:13:31 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
Never go to war. Especially with yourself. Just because the world treats you like shit doesn't mean you should make yourself eat shit. Evil prevails no matter what you do. Not evil prevails when good men do nothing. Always run from situations. Cut your losses and get out asap.

sea-dove

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2017, 02:35:41 pm »

old thread but interesting to me as I'd be doing the urban survival thing.

Yeah bush fire is a major problem of bug out location.  Tens of thousands of untrained idiots going into the bush to get wood for heating, cooking and fire bugs the bush will be gone very soon. 

This post is so true about fire danger in SHTF and people unintentionally (or even intentional) setting these off.  I'll share one of my camping experiences when I almost caused a bush fire.

I had my bushman friend from England who actuallly grew up in the wilderness of Africa (his father was a missionary) staying with me and we went bush to go camping.  Choice of location this time was Kangaroo Island   We had had a fire going for cooking and water heating and we put this out before we went into the tent to sleep  (poured water over it and then stomped on it and scuffed with shoes some dirt over it, and I ran my hands throu the ash and dirt which was now there to see if it had hot spots..  it appeared to be dead at this point). 

We were woken up by a large pop sound and it turned out that this fire had suddenly relit itself and flared right up  (underneath the top of it all it must of been still hot).  The fire was suddenly really blazing (we'd removed the rocks around it when we had stomped it out to try to make sure we got all the hot areas out) and was spreading to the leaves and lichens around this area which were all dried.    A wind had come in and this fire instantly was spreading, wind blowing burning leaf litter a metre at a time.   I honestly thought we werent going to be able to put this out as it was all going up so fast.

Bush experienced friend and I had  bit of a panic as we worked together to get it out (Him with a shovel and me trying to pouring ALL our spare 10L of drinking water over it which left us with not enough water then for the rest of our camping trip).  We later once we got it out better inspected thngs and that lichen stuff was like a fire starting blazer which when down deep held onto heat and hence pouring water over it didnt really put out a fire.

I'd been camping a lot before this incident with no issues in getting a campfire out but in this location due to how the ground was etc, it was completely different  (usually when you pour water on, stomp on it, kick dirt over it and then feel over top with hands and get no heat.. I always do all that when putting out a campfire...  you can expect a fire to be out properly. but that dried mossy and lichen stuff all over the place just wasnt what we were used to. I realise now I should of got the actual shovel and dug right under where we'd had this fire looking for trapped heat pockets which could flare up with the lichen stuff.

Friend and I could of been burnt alive in our tent that night if that big pop sound hadnt happened and woken us.  If I had been camping alone on this occassion, I dont think I would of been able to get this fire out alone as it just was spreading to fast. (We were camping in a completely natural never cleared area). If I ever camp in that spot again I would not light a fire there as I just deem it too risky. (the whole area was covered in several inches thick of twigs, dried leaves, lichens and dried mosses). This incident  really scared me.

So I completely agree that out of control fires will be big issue in the very bushland places esp with people camping or hiding out in remote locations.   No CFS either to be putting out fires in SHTF and these wildfires we also get every summer to start with.. would just burn and burn...100s of km will burn at a time till they get into areas where they cant burn.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:51:46 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 03:22:58 pm »

If you guys wanna go out into the middle of nowhere and get sunburnt go right ahead, I'll be here in suburbia shopping for a new mansion that has been long since abandoned, putting my feet up and setting up the collapsible tanks out the back. Or hell screw it, turn the pool into a freshwater pond.

haha, that's the life.  Good to have another who isnt going to bug out and will stay in suburbia here, if you were in living in my city I'd say lets catch up :) . Networking so important to us urban preppers esp when it comes to security issues.

One thing I wish I'd done is  Guerrilla and secret edible Gardening at every location where Ive ever lived. I'd by now have several great food places in various locations if I'd done that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:24:53 pm by sea-dove »

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:22 am »

I love sea breezes! :o ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Top Posters This Week