Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50478
  • *Total Topics: 4472
  • *Online Today: 84
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 68
  • *Total: 68
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TEOTWAWKI Hard decisions  (Read 8391 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
TEOTWAWKI Hard decisions
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:37:25 pm »

My mate and I have decided if the shit really flys and things go beyond pearshape we will be doing collection runs with our trucks if possible. Fuel, batteries, medical supplies, pharmacy stock, guns and ammo, tyres and tubes, cooking oil and anything of use and value will be targeted.
Items such as cement powder and the like have very limited "shelf life" and any plans you have to do any construction would need to be done very quickly or the window of opportunity will close for a long time or best to be done prior to collapse. Most of our manufacturing is done offshore now, so no imports will sort the sheep from the goats in a matter of months. No goods, medications, food or spare parts. 
My Dad said in his childhood during the great depression there were doctors and lawyers as well as many other so called professionals and ordinary people walking the roads, looking for work just to get a meal. Small government handouts required the collectors to walk to the next town, no sitting in the one spot for months or years on end.
It may all depend on what you are prepared to do to keep you and yours safe and alive.
Russ
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Token

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: TEOTWAWKI Hard decisions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:16 pm »

The thing is, lots of people will think on their feet in those moments also. They will loot and grab what they can and not care. I have a number of friends in NZ who were in Christchurch and other areas where the earthquake hit a few years back. A good friend said that he was talking to a mate on their front lawn and someone ran across their lawn, within reach and started to pull up the lever on the car door trying to break into it and steal it, in daylight, right in front of them. When he couldn't get the car door open he ran to the next one.

It wont take long before those unprepared come looking for those who have stuff and without mercy. It will come down to what you do as a prepper and unfortunately I wont be one of those who will be caught mucking around with those who try to take what's mine, as I see it as a threat against my family. I dare say most on this forum would do the same. Go away and quickly or else.
Prepping now and prepped for eternity.

aussiesurvivorman

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 10:32:40 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing is, lots of people will think on their feet in those moments also. They will loot and grab what they can and not care. I have a number of friends in NZ who were in Christchurch and other areas where the earthquake hit a few years back. A good friend said that he was talking to a mate on their front lawn and someone ran across their lawn, within reach and started to pull up the lever on the car door trying to break into it and steal it, in daylight, right in front of them. When he couldn't get the car door open he ran to the next one.

It wont take long before those unprepared come looking for those who have stuff and without mercy. It will come down to what you do as a prepper and unfortunately I wont be one of those who will be caught mucking around with those who try to take what's mine, as I see it as a threat against my family. I dare say most on this forum would do the same. Go away and quickly or else.
Right on there, Token!

shineyshooter

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:03:20 am »

Russ,

Not 'exactly' sure what you mean, raids, or looting as things went pear shape but assuming there's not fallout coming from the sky, [and even if there was, but they'll all be dead] that's what almost everyone would be doing.  Heck I'd be out there low key, despite my preps, to be like everyone else, to be the 'greyman', probably talking with neighbors, at least until things started getting rough.  I also don't call that prepping at all, in that it's not making any sort of preparation.   

If you know about prepping, then isn't it so easy to get squared away for survival, throw in 150kgs of rice [$150 or so] into a drum [$20 for food grade] and you've got 8.5 months of food for one, done.  It's not balanced, it's boring, but it's cheap and easy.  You could follow with the same size of beans and have twice as much.  From there you work on resupply, seed, fertilizer, enough for a year of cropping, plants for each season so you can get stuff in the ground straight away if need be and be able to provide yourself with a more balanced diet.  Sure you can get fancy [and should after the basics] and add variety but this is the basics, you eat and you live. 

Same goes with water, we need 4L of water/day.  1/3 of homes have water collection already but saving up a couple of months of water would be a good plan.  250L/person [plastic food grade drums are about $30] would square you a way to start with.  The costs are minimal.  It's bulky, it's heavy and takes up lots of space but you can throw it under your house, leave it in drums next to your food in the shed.  Having a saw and a bit of downpipe or use the one that's already there to redirect water into drums for resupply as need be.  You might still have to collect water from nearby, so have some water treatment, such as pool shock $20. 

So far you've taken care of your basic needs cheaply and good enough to survive almost any situation at your location.  You could set up similar supplies at possible bug out locations if need be. 

Security.  If you think you're going to ram your truck into a gun dealer you're 'really' mistaken because that's exactly what they're ready for.  Firearms are kept locked away when the place is closed by law.  If you do manage to get inside [many are rather fortified] then it will take you time to get into their safes, lots of time.  Time you don't have at this point because 'everyone else' is doing the same.  If you already own firearms and you should it's a 'great sport' then you ought to know this and you also ought to know that getting ammunition for firearms doesn't always pan out as shortages are common.  Lets keep exploring this, what about the guy who 'owns' the store, do you think he's not coming and collecting his stock and going somewhere with it?  He'll also have 5-50 of his 'shooting mates' and/or neighbors and family and might be holding something in their hands to make sure someone such as your good self doesn't help themselves.  Are you armed yet?  They are.  Unlike you he's got the keys and could do it in probably an hour or less and at the first moment of such an event.  There's also the notion, do you know how to use them?  I'm certainly no marksman but I've shot something since I was about 8 and I'm pretty familiar with my firearms.  Are you with something you've just picked up? 

Instead, get a license with your mate [if you haven't already], take some lessons and then get a firearm, such as a .22 or my preference a .357 magnum lever action [you can dry fire it] and practice and practice.  I spend a few hours a week at least dry firing.  You can only hold one gun.  Different firearms suit different purposes of course but the one you 'know' how to shoot well is the best gun for you.   

So... I suggest, become the prepper, start collecting some gear, learn to use it, forget the notions of raids unless absolutely necessary and only because you forgot to plan for it.   Planning to get into situations that could get you killed because you don't have enough to survive or that a zillion other people want it as desperately as you, is not a particularly good plan for survival.  Remember it's about 'survival' above all else, shelter, food, water, security. 

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:12 am »

Hello,
We do have guns and ammo stockpiled and approp licences (not that it will matter then). And this not about stealing during times of normality. Yes there is storage of 100,000's of liters of water and food supplies, analog tools, and other consumables as well as power backups. Anywhere in the high population areas ie. cities, larger towns will be gutted of people in a short time from lack of services, food social security etc. I look around me when in the city and the stupidity of people and what happens when a system of ATM's go down for 24 hours. Really they are too stupid to live. The lack of food and medication for many people will be life ending. I would not want to live within 200 kms of any larger town or city in changed times. It will not be so bad once the superficial fuel runs out as most travel will cease.
Its all food for thought.
Russ
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

shineyshooter

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:35 am »

Got ya, now I see you're no newb who's bent on just grabbing what you need instead of doing the hard yards, cool.   

So I'm guessing what you're saying is going out and collecting anything not tied down to which makes plenty of sense for resupply.  I'm not of the opinion [and people differ] that I would want to harm others for such things, though anything not tied down as per common law that's been around in some ways since Roman times, if it's abandoned it's anyones. 

I personally would want to trade if at all possible [and trade would certainly spring up] as the risks in conflict are far greater than the rewards.  With my current plans if unmolested and not overextended with extra people I can sustain myself indefinitely, not living like a king but it could be done.  Things break and wear out and this is what would then become needed.  Fuel to me is irrelevant as

If it came down to a hard decision of having to take something from someone who wouldn't trade, then at the end of the day, the tribe/group/town I'm with have priority.  As Selco who lived through the Bosnia siege says, in the days of the siege people were both good and bad.  I personally think it's about when and where, risk versus reward, is the juice worth the squeeze.

Urban

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:06:14 am »

My mates and I have had this discussion and they all say lets go to the gun shops first , after Ive finnished laughing at them I say the first place you  go to is the pharmacy  , medical supplies are going to be the most important thing in a collapse , even if you do not have any medical problems Im sure older member of your family may need prescription drugs or if you get injured or a sickness breaks out do  to dead bodies rotting in the streets or eating tainted meat etc  so  Id rather have a box of antibiotics then another box of ammo.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:49:42 pm by Urban »

Offgrid

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:30:24 am »

Got ya, now I see you're no newb who's bent on just grabbing what you need instead of doing the hard yards, cool.   

So I'm guessing what you're saying is going out and collecting anything not tied down to which makes plenty of sense for resupply.  I'm not of the opinion [and people differ] that I would want to harm others for such things, though anything not tied down as per common law that's been around in some ways since Roman times, if it's abandoned it's anyones. 

I personally would want to trade if at all possible [and trade would certainly spring up] as the risks in conflict are far greater than the rewards.  With my current plans if unmolested and not overextended with extra people I can sustain myself indefinitely, not living like a king but it could be done.  Things break and wear out and this is what would then become needed.  Fuel to me is irrelevant as

If it came down to a hard decision of having to take something from someone who wouldn't trade, then at the end of the day, the tribe/group/town I'm with have priority.  As Selco who lived through the Bosnia siege says, in the days of the siege people were both good and bad.  I personally think it's about when and where, risk versus reward, is the juice worth the squeeze.

Good ideas...

Perhaps lying low for the first month will see to most of the desperate...and criminally-minded...starve and leave those well prepared to then get on with coping with Nature rather than crims......

SuperMario

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »

Pretty sure the best thing to do is to have a good supply of essentials before it goes pear shape.

Hang back and keep quiet while natural selection thins the flock. Most everything will be there for the picking shortly after.

Dont even need a virus or war or economic collapse. Something as benign as a large solar flare will do the trick. Mankind will become virtually extinct in a generation. 

OzHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 07:22:53 pm »

Yeah, keep spare cash, first sign of trouble.   First places to go if things are still functioning i.e. economic collapse:  depending on security can send family members in different directions.  I keep a very close eye on things if for e.g. the US stock markets drop by more than 50% - I am activating.

Supermarket, get some fresh items, perhaps ice, meds (pain killers) and few things esp cash out.
clean out bank account if still working
pharmacies if need critical medication
fuel station, fill car tanks, and other containers
hardware/gardening stores clean out all veg seeds
outdoor shops, gun shops - cant think of anything I would need that I don't have, if have cash left might as well spend
buy a big bucket of KFC and celebrate the end of the modern world, with friends.  It will be a few days in OZ before mass panic sets in.

If there is disaster!!
During the hunter/Sydney region storms a few months back, the looting started on second day - a frind of mine who had a tree falllon her house got unwelcome visitors at 2am in the morning - thinking the people had left the house. Seen the same with areas affected by bush fires they have no need just opportunistic greed.. If Power goes out the security forces will be too hard pressed to keep control - a few guys will start looting and the the herd mentality panic will set in - shops empty in 2 hours.

Then just hunker down and consume refrigerated food, have no idea how will deal with neighbors steeling and destroying our extensive veg and herb garden.  The dogs will tackle anyone coming in back yard, won't be good for them or the dogs.  Might just pick what I can and let them steal the rest.  As stated after a month neighbors will have moved off to larger centers for assistance, then can colonize all their resources.  Depends on what assistance gov gives, won't be long till one had the neighborhood to yourself.  A Then have to deal with roving gangs.

We live in interesting times!!

OzHippy

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »

It has been stated on this forum before the first place to look is place of work!  Plenty fuel, long-life milk and other condiments, toilet-paper, bottled water, generators etc...  While they are all running home or trying to get things from shops - you have the place to yourself. 

I was in port headland WA when a cyclone came through it was predicted days before.  Some guys wrote to the newspapers complaining they went to the shops like 1 hour before it was said to hit and all the bread and fresh milk was sold out and they had none for a few days.  They just don't get it, if I was the shop owner would of long ago closed and gone home.

I am not sure why one would want to loot a gun shop - need to get these things before the big rotten paw paw hits the fan.  If you need guns and ammo just do what they do in South Africa, raid a police station or military base, they will all be out controlling traffic and looters.  One or two rifles is not that hard to acquire while things are good - no need for that kind of madness. 

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 07:57:51 pm »

Nobody has talked of raiding gun shops straight after collapse. As it has been stated most of us have in some way made preparations before hand and will be mostly unscathed. When I started the thread about retrieving goods post collapse people assumed we would be taking gear and there would be owners "defending" their possessions. A couple of months after social breakdown there will be few people defending anything in the cities as the population would be dead or moved on to other areas where there are consumables. If there are no takeaways, movies, shopping centers, mobile phones, grocery shops, butchers shops and essential services etc etc etc then why stay there and risk being killed. Cops, nurses, ambos will not be working if unpaid. Everyone will be concerned with their and their families survival. There will be no ships bringing goods into ports and trucks running goods around the country. What you have stored beforehand and acquired in the 1st 6 months post will be what you have and/or have to trade for goods.

Offgrid

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 08:03:43 pm »

If the horse bolts from your barn...be sure you are on it.

OzHippy

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 08:14:26 pm »

As in the examples I gave looting is a reality, my wife just joking said I must take the flying doctors chest they have at place of work.
Has antibiotics ventolin, eppipens, drips a real treasure chest!!

More seriously what are those last minute things one goes for, and more importantly what do you consider as a trigger for TEOTWAWKI.
  • All bank accounts are frozen due to total financial collapse
  • Earthquake all bridges and dams break
  • Nuke going off somewhere in the world
  • CME taking down grid, with estimates it will take years to get running again?
That is the hard decision, and I would like to hear what are your triggers.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:17:41 pm by OzHippy »

aussiesurvivorman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 08:36:03 pm »

Yeah, keep spare cash, first sign of trouble.   First places to go if things are still functioning i.e. economic collapse:  depending on security can send family members in different directions.  I keep a very close eye on things if for e.g. the US stock markets drop by more than 50% - I am activating.

Supermarket, get some fresh items, perhaps ice, meds (pain killers) and few things esp cash out.
clean out bank account if still working
pharmacies if need critical medication
fuel station, fill car tanks, and other containers
hardware/gardening stores clean out all veg seeds
outdoor shops, gun shops - cant think of anything I would need that I don't have, if have cash left might as well spend
buy a big bucket of KFC and celebrate the end of the modern world, with friends.  It will be a few days in OZ before mass panic sets in.

If there is disaster!!
During the hunter/Sydney region storms a few months back, the looting started on second day - a frind of mine who had a tree falllon her house got unwelcome visitors at 2am in the morning - thinking the people had left the house. Seen the same with areas affected by bush fires they have no need just opportunistic greed.. If Power goes out the security forces will be too hard pressed to keep control - a few guys will start looting and the the herd mentality panic will set in - shops empty in 2 hours.

Then just hunker down and consume refrigerated food, have no idea how will deal with neighbors steeling and destroying our extensive veg and herb garden.  The dogs will tackle anyone coming in back yard, won't be good for them or the dogs.  Might just pick what I can and let them steal the rest.  As stated after a month neighbors will have moved off to larger centers for assistance, then can colonize all their resources.  Depends on what assistance gov gives, won't be long till one had the neighborhood to yourself.  A Then have to deal with roving gangs.
Agree with everything said OzHippy. Was just going to say re looting when we had the recent terrible bushfires in January down here in SA, I was listening to the emergency comms for pretty much the whole incident from the first arriving crew on scene to 30 days later when everything was razed to the ground and I got to hear some pretty wild things on there about people looting houses that they thought had been abandoned. Many radio transmissions went through from the CFS (Country Fire Service) to SAPOL (SA Police) to get cop cars into the evacuated areas to deal with looters who were breaking in and stealing stuff. The stuff doesn't have to hit the fan that hard for things to go pear shaped that's for sure...
Pages: [1] 2

Top Posters This Week