Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 41
  • *Total: 41
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Natural antibiotics  (Read 6394 times)

mLitzah

Natural antibiotics
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:10 pm »

Hi preppers

To start your antibiotic arsenal. Buy these

1. Manuka Honey. Honey lasts for decades. Consider buying heaps of it.

2. Garlic. Buy it. Heaps. And consider growing it. In your living room. In the corner.

3. Echinacea. Potent plant.

4. Oil of Oregano.

5. Turmeric.

Gideon

Re: Natural antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:44:54 pm »

Got all of that, I think that Manuka Honey is the best natural antibiotic. Echinacea can be used to make a nice tea which will boost your immune system and also helps to clear out your skin.

shineyshooter

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:10:19 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hi preppers

Whilst it's true that 'all' honey [and sugar for that matter] have anti-bacterial or anti-septic properties when used topically as demonstrated You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and there's this

"While a component found in Manuka honey has demonstrated antibacterial properties in vitro, there is no conclusive evidence of benefit in medical use and no evidence that the whole honey has any benefit." - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That is, it makes no difference if it's Manuka or normal honey.  There's also 'no' evidence suggesting that it's antibiotic to which if I'm wrong [happy to be] please show how I am. 

2. Garlic. Buy it. Heaps. And consider growing it. In your living room. In the corner.

"Allicin has been found to have numerous antimicrobial properties, and has been studied in relation to both its effects and its biochemical interactions.[28] One potential application is in the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), an increasingly prevalent concern in hospitals. A screening of allicin against 30 strains of MRSA found high level of antimicrobial activity, including against strains that are resistant to other chemical agents.[29] Of the strains tested, 88% had minimum inhibitory concentrations for allicin liquids of 16 mg/L, and all strains were inhibited at 32 mg/L. Furthermore, 88% of clinical isolates had minimum bactericidal concentrations of 128 mg/L, and all were killed at 256 mg/L. Of these strains, 82% showed intermediate or full resistance to mupirocin. This same study examined use of an aqueous cream of allicin, and found it somewhat less effective than allicin liquid. At 500 mg/L, however, the cream was still active against all the organisms tested—which compares well with the 20 g/L mupirocin currently used for topical application.[29] - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

So, you're right on and it seems to have Antiviral properties;

Antiviral activity

Allicin has antiviral activity both in vitro and in vivo. Among the viruses susceptible to allicin are Herpes simplex type 1 and 2, Parainfluenza virus type 3, human Cytomegalovirus, Influenza B, Vaccinia virus, Vesicular stomatitis virus and Human rhinovirus type 2.[31]

A small[32] (146 healthy adults) double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that a daily supplement containing purified allicin, had dramatic results[33] by reducing the risk of catching a cold by 64%, the symptom duration was reduced by 70% and those in the treatment group were much less likely to develop more than one cold.[34][35] - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Echinacea products that are marketed and studied in clinical trials vary widely in composition. They contain different species (E. purpurea, E. angustifolia, E. pallida), different plant segments (roots, flowers, extracts), different preparations (extracts and expressed juice), and different chemical compositions.[13][14] Well-controlled clinical trials are limited and low in quality.[15][16][17][18] There are multiple scientific reviews and meta-analyses published to evaluate the peer reviewed literature on the supposed immunological effects of echinacea. However, the variability of the echinacea products used in the studies limited the comparison of effects and safety among the studies, with results being inconclusive and consequently are not approved for any health benefit or anti-disease activity to date.[15][19] -
There is no conclusive evidence showing that echinacea products treat or prevent the common cold

So, no antibiotic or antiviral evidence. 

4. Oil of Oregano.

Despite the hype, there is no persuasive evidence to demonstrate that oil of oregano does anything useful in or on our bodies. And while it is popular, there is no science to support the use of oil of oregano for any medical condition. Suggesting that this herb is can effectively treat serious medical conditions like diabetes, asthma, and cancer is foolish and dangerous. If you’re ill, stick to the proven science, and save your oregano for cooking. - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

5. Turmeric.

"there is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted. - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

I could be wrong I'm no medical expert, I am no immunologist so I have to rely heavily on such experts for my information and my decision making, which it's worth looking for evidence 'from' them, not someone selling magic.  Thanks for the heads up, I learned about garlic today as I didn't know it had proven antibiotic-antiviral properties and I'll be eating some raw [has to be for the properties] garlic next time I or my wife have a cold. 

mLitzah

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:27:58 pm »

I'll put up some pastes and tonics recipes soon too.

Urban

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »

Hi preppers

Whilst it's true that 'all' honey [and sugar for that matter] have anti-bacterial or anti-septic properties when used topically as demonstrated You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and there's this

"While a component found in Manuka honey has demonstrated antibacterial properties in vitro, there is no conclusive evidence of benefit in medical use and no evidence that the whole honey has any benefit." - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That is, it makes no difference if it's Manuka or normal honey.  There's also 'no' evidence suggesting that it's antibiotic to which if I'm wrong [happy to be] please show how I am. 

"Allicin has been found to have numerous antimicrobial properties, and has been studied in relation to both its effects and its biochemical interactions.[28] One potential application is in the treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), an increasingly prevalent concern in hospitals. A screening of allicin against 30 strains of MRSA found high level of antimicrobial activity, including against strains that are resistant to other chemical agents.[29] Of the strains tested, 88% had minimum inhibitory concentrations for allicin liquids of 16 mg/L, and all strains were inhibited at 32 mg/L. Furthermore, 88% of clinical isolates had minimum bactericidal concentrations of 128 mg/L, and all were killed at 256 mg/L. Of these strains, 82% showed intermediate or full resistance to mupirocin. This same study examined use of an aqueous cream of allicin, and found it somewhat less effective than allicin liquid. At 500 mg/L, however, the cream was still active against all the organisms tested—which compares well with the 20 g/L mupirocin currently used for topical application.[29] - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

So, you're right on and it seems to have Antiviral properties;

Antiviral activity

Allicin has antiviral activity both in vitro and in vivo. Among the viruses susceptible to allicin are Herpes simplex type 1 and 2, Parainfluenza virus type 3, human Cytomegalovirus, Influenza B, Vaccinia virus, Vesicular stomatitis virus and Human rhinovirus type 2.[31]

A small[32] (146 healthy adults) double-blind, placebo-controlled study found that a daily supplement containing purified allicin, had dramatic results[33] by reducing the risk of catching a cold by 64%, the symptom duration was reduced by 70% and those in the treatment group were much less likely to develop more than one cold.[34][35] - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Echinacea products that are marketed and studied in clinical trials vary widely in composition. They contain different species (E. purpurea, E. angustifolia, E. pallida), different plant segments (roots, flowers, extracts), different preparations (extracts and expressed juice), and different chemical compositions.[13][14] Well-controlled clinical trials are limited and low in quality.[15][16][17][18] There are multiple scientific reviews and meta-analyses published to evaluate the peer reviewed literature on the supposed immunological effects of echinacea. However, the variability of the echinacea products used in the studies limited the comparison of effects and safety among the studies, with results being inconclusive and consequently are not approved for any health benefit or anti-disease activity to date.[15][19] -
There is no conclusive evidence showing that echinacea products treat or prevent the common cold

So, no antibiotic or antiviral evidence. 

4. Oil of Oregano.

Despite the hype, there is no persuasive evidence to demonstrate that oil of oregano does anything useful in or on our bodies. And while it is popular, there is no science to support the use of oil of oregano for any medical condition. Suggesting that this herb is can effectively treat serious medical conditions like diabetes, asthma, and cancer is foolish and dangerous. If you’re ill, stick to the proven science, and save your oregano for cooking. - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

5. Turmeric.

"there is little reliable evidence to support the use of turmeric for any health condition because few clinical trials have been conducted. - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

I could be wrong I'm no medical expert, I am no immunologist so I have to rely heavily on such experts for my information and my decision making, which it's worth looking for evidence 'from' them, not someone selling magic.  Thanks for the heads up, I learned about garlic today as I didn't know it had proven antibiotic-antiviral properties and I'll be eating some raw [has to be for the properties] garlic next time I or my wife have a cold.

Garlic is great for treating the flu Ive used it many a time for myself and my kids , just remember if its a little green inside ( meaning its really fresh ) you might get a little heartburn.

Also don't buy the  chinese garlic the reason its all white is they bleach it with chlorine , buy the aussie  garlic they are white  and purple more expensive but arent sprayed with banned chemicals.

Aside from the practice of bleaching, all imported garlic is fumigated with methyl bromide to get rid of any bugs, in accordance with Australian quarantine standards. Methyl bromide is a major environmental hazard because it is an ozone depleting substance, and many other countries have banned its use for this reason. It is also highly toxic. But don't just take my word for it. The Australian government also recognise that it is a noxious chemical for workers to handle. So why do they think it's okay to spray on a food we are going to ingest?

mLitzah

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:09 pm »

Many thanks. Great information.

Christos_x

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:01:42 pm »

Nice Thread, look forward to the pastes and tonics recipies.Cheers
Never Underestimate The Predictability Of Stupidity, It Will Bite You In The Ass Everytime.

crazycatlady

• Juniper Cottage - living simply
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:37:59 am »

the studies about efficacy of herbals.  You can please yourself but I have some faith in hundreds, possibly thousands of years of usage.  I have worked with medical trials and the way they fund and conduct the trials leaves the results open to question.  For instance, with the oregano.  Yes, maybe the limited trial showed no use within the body.  That would have been with a standardised dose of some extract of oregano which was say, eaten over a period of time and etc etc.

What they neglect to tell you is that oregano oil has been shown in other studies to destroy bacteria incredibly effectively.  But this was a trial using the oil as a topical wipe and then measuring how much bacteria survived.  So, unless the methodology of the trials on natural substances are spelled out, the results become fairly meaningless.

Just do what you believe helps.  I myself like eucalyptus oil for lots of things - antibacterial, antiviral, inhalant, cleaning, etc etc. 

Did you know that a trial was done showing that using copper bowls eliminated superbugs in a health setting?  There's all sorts of interesting bits and pieces that can be mainly gleaned from historical works.  Researchers just recreated a medical potion dated from around 1100AD, made it exactly like the recipe and it killed superbugs (mainly made out of cow bile...).  But they don't know why as the individual constituents of the potion didn't show anything likely to be antibacterial.  The effect lay in the combination and the brewing of the potion.

Gideon

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:48:21 am »

the studies about efficacy of herbals.  You can please yourself but I have some faith in hundreds, possibly thousands of years of usage.  I have worked with medical trials and the way they fund and conduct the trials leaves the results open to question.  For instance, with the oregano.  Yes, maybe the limited trial showed no use within the body.  That would have been with a standardised dose of some extract of oregano which was say, eaten over a period of time and etc etc.

What they neglect to tell you is that oregano oil has been shown in other studies to destroy bacteria incredibly effectively.  But this was a trial using the oil as a topical wipe and then measuring how much bacteria survived.  So, unless the methodology of the trials on natural substances are spelled out, the results become fairly meaningless.

Just do what you believe helps.  I myself like eucalyptus oil for lots of things - antibacterial, antiviral, inhalant, cleaning, etc etc. 

Did you know that a trial was done showing that using copper bowls eliminated superbugs in a health setting?  There's all sorts of interesting bits and pieces that can be mainly gleaned from historical works.  Researchers just recreated a medical potion dated from around 1100AD, made it exactly like the recipe and it killed superbugs (mainly made out of cow bile...).  But they don't know why as the individual constituents of the potion didn't show anything likely to be antibacterial.  The effect lay in the combination and the brewing of the potion.

Right on, I don't really care whether a herb has been "proven" to have a particular property. If it works, it works, I don't need to read a false study on it to know whether it works. I have been drinking tea that contains echinacea and haven't gotten the cold or flu at all for as long as I have been drinking it, that is enough evidence to prove that it does work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:57:07 am by Gideon »

mLitzah

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:56 am »

Yes i know all of that.

Alexander the Great would eat out of silver bowls and use silver utensils for the same reason as copper.

I am skeptical about the agenda behind contemporary trials. I just dont believe the results of the trials you are talking about. I am skeptical as to the hidden agenda of those testing natural substances and their connections to pharmaceutical companies.

Gideon

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 09:53:51 am »

Yes i know all of that.

Alexander the Great would eat out of silver bowls and use silver utensils for the same reason as copper.

I am skeptical about the agenda behind contemporary trials. I just dont believe the results of the trials you are talking about. I am skeptical as to the hidden agenda of those testing natural substances and their connections to pharmaceutical companies.

You are right, they don't want to lose business. As soon as everyone starts using herbs and natural remedies, the CEOs of the big pharmaceutical companies will cry.

shineyshooter

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 11:33:32 am »

With the greatest respect, I'm happy with debate this and again, I'm happy to be wrong, I'm no expert people may well have great expertise that outstrips anything I understand, happy to explore this and I will in no way take offense to your point of view.  I 'am' for using herbs and foods as applicable, I just want to see something to substantiate that, lest I believe what someone just made up.  I will not enter into name calling as it demonstrates a lack of argument.  I will however ask for 'reason' and 'evidence' to substantiate your claims, lest we believe in unicorns and fairies. 

-----------------
Right on, I don't really care whether a herb has been "proven" to have a particular property. If it works, it works, I don't need to read a false study on it to know whether it works. I have been drinking tea that contains echinacea and haven't gotten the cold or flu at all for as long as I have been drinking it, that is enough evidence to prove that it does work.

So if I read that correctly, you're for proof, just not scientific evidence.  Such that 'your' proof substantiates your claims, that is because you drink echinacea tea you haven't got a flu?  You get that just making a claim isn't causation?  Like, 'I haven't had a flu for a long time but I drink coke, so it must be the coke' is about as creditable. 

You suggest that these are a 'false study', in what way and which ones are false?  You can't just say it's false and it suddenly is, it 'has' to be shown how it is false to counter the claim I brought, which did have evidence and people who know about immunology, something I know almost nothing about.   Like I can't say that 'gravity' is false and jump of a cliff and float.  Additionally isn't your study [claim of causation] false with the evidence I presented above? 

Whilst I enjoy your skepticism, you have not stated what hidden agenda you see, nor is there a pathway of information that I can follow to such skepticism?  Care to elaborate.  Understand that whilst you type on your keyboard and look at the screen, brought together by zillions of ideas from science and engineering, which at their foundation use proof and evidence to create such devices, are you suggesting that science is suddenly not interested in truth when it comes to testing natural substances? 

One might ask you, do you have an agenda, since you have bias as you've mentioned in another thread that you're part of the natural medicine industry which in the US at least is a You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login a year industry?  How do I believe your uncredited information? 

You are right, they don't want to lose business. As soon as everyone starts using herbs and natural remedies, the CEOs of the big pharmaceutical companies will cry.

As already stated, the natural remedy industry is a 34 Billion dollar a year industry, are you sure they're ok with loosing business with having to prove something when as little as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginand of those tested so very few have stood up to scrutiny?.   Are you ok with someone who might have just 'made up' a claim? 

In the late 19th century, the pharmacist was just beginning and all matter of concoctions were prescribed, with all sorts of claims that were without proof.  We might call that snake oil now.  The industry evolved and grew up and started to have proof for what it claimed.  The same with medicine, the same with engineering and here today, the modern age is around 'because' of that.  I would like to see people do the same for natural medicine, some things work absolutely!  Lets not get caught up in suggesting that it all works, as you're ignoring people who might be lying to you.  I'm not ok with them lying to you or anyone else.  I'm ok with them telling the truth, like garlic!

As a prepper, I'm ALL for medicine I can grow, I have the PDR for herbal medicines [it's an excellent resource, get it!] right next to me and it shows things that have been proven or counter proven and what has not as well as literature supportive of such information.  I won't ignore the facts, you can but it's your health and the health of others that your effecting. 

sea-dove

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 03:19:02 pm »

Ive heard that Manuka honey is actually being used on burns I think it was (or it may of been on wounds) in some hospitals now.

There has been various studies on manuka honey and its medial usage eg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Im sure the drug companies probably dont like findings such as that.  We can get our own manuka honey by keeping bees and having the right plant for the bees to be feeding from to make this honey.  If SHTF, many would be reluctant to try to raid your bee hive :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:24:34 pm by sea-dove »

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
MariaRoark1 1
Prepernator 1
pinhead 1