Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Pedro
[Today at 12:24:37 pm]
Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by pinhead
[Today at 10:57:39 am]
Re: Taking my BOB for a shakedown cruise
by Arkane
[December 16, 2018, 12:58:15 pm]
Easy food hack PSHTF
by Hoopy
[December 15, 2018, 09:44:51 pm]
Re: Hi from Brisbane
by Hoopy
[December 14, 2018, 07:03:23 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50485
  • *Total Topics: 4474
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 28
  • *Total: 28
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Whats in your INCH Bag?  (Read 18979 times)

KnightAndDay

Whats in your INCH Bag?
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:31:29 am »

Just bought a 50l molle pack for carrying with my plate carrier. Decided a BOB was of no use since I at the moment don't have a BOL with supplies, therefore I would need to be able to carry gear to last me more than 72 hours. Wanting to know what people keep in their INCH Bag? What do you consider priority (in case I will be buying things based on how available spare cash is).

Cheers

Token

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: Whats in your INCH Bag?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:23:07 am »

I suppose that this depends to some degree on your knowledge base and plan.

In the very acronym 'INCH' depicts being 'away from home'. Thus, no 'shelter', 'running potable water', 'cooking facilities', 'food storage and preservative capability' 'electricity', 'bed/warth/rest', and so on.

Now that may not always be the case and only you know what you would be doing to some degree, but the scenario you have to 'leave home' for would also depict where you go.

That imo will help you break down your 'needs' and therefore what is in your bag.

If your going bush, your on foot, and forgetting about the bag slightly, what shoe wear have you got. Adding the pack weight and needing to hike in to some degree to survive a scenario, youll need good footwear. Footwear must then be tested and worn in, so packing an INCH bag is not alone, its significantly connected to the carrier. If no footwear, what mode of carrying do you have? Car, horse, large dog with a cart, kayak, canoe, boat? Lots of things to consider before and for packing your bag.

Moving from you as the vehicle of carrying your bag, what is 'waterproof' in your bag or needs waterproofing? You can have the best pack and a downpour wrecks it, or a slip crossing a creek.

Id pack, as a basic, the following. But be aware, if you are not familiar with your kit and educated, having tested it thoroughly your at a loss straight away. Know your gear!

1) Very good shelter to protect you from sun, rain, frost, cold. Very good bedding/warmth/mosquito capability stuff for a starter. Hypothermia is a risk and even in a desert night temperatures can drop, couple that with being thrashed by the sun by day and your body is getting weak, sleeping is important for recovery.

2a) A number of ways to make fire, not just one. And then I would not have all my gear in my bag, id have it in different parts of my bag and on my person also. This is in case of damage, loss etc. You need to have your skill base with these tools for making fire down pat. You need to in an INCH bag access how long you can continue to make fire with these.

2b) Along with making fire comes 'tinder'. I've been in wet places trying to make a fire before and even with petrol on wet material its going out. What do you have to get lit and then generate enough constant heat and burning to first dry the wood or stuff your trying to burn.

2c) If not burning wood for fuel what method do you have for heat/cooking etc. Fire is also important for many reasons, even at a basic level, the mental and emotional state, it can bring a sense of hope. If things have gone wrong, maybe your on your own and lonely, or with others and you are wondering about loved one or missing them, feeling discouraged etc. If you need to get wet clothes dry, or warm up quick to stop your core body temp dropping to dangerous levels. Fire is important, and wood fuel is available as a lasting and readily obtainable resource.

3) Water. Knowledge and Skill in obtaining it and then numerous knowledge and methods of ensuring its potable and containment facilities.

4) Food, and or food obtaining knowledge and skill. From edible weeds to bugs mushrooms, native fruits, roots, flowers, to hunting, trapping, despatching and processing foods. Cooking facilities.

5) First aid and drugs, knowledge and skill.

Here's more, knife/knives/tools, light, batteries, maps, compass, rope, twine. Even things like 'sugar' and 'salt' are and can be seriously important. Your brain can need sugar if your out there and working hard with little food or sudden change in diet. Salt has heaps of capabilities also. Not lots, just some. Spare clothes such as socks and jocks at the absolute basic level. Books with knowledge and for passing the time, stimulating the mind. Wet weather gear, even an army grade poncho.

This topic can be endless, and if its an INCH bag, it needs to be a resource for 'Not coming home' imo and therefore needs a lot of stamina to keep you going, but a bag will not help you unless you have skill and knowledge for too long, otherwise its a BOB for 72 hours survival and that's easy imo, but an INCH bag is a whole different thing.

I have done many hunts, and packing my bag is not an easy feat, I have learnt a lot, and tailor it to each hunt, as well as change things a lot. My pack is like my helper, but my knowledge and skill is everything and I am constantly trying to refine it. When I pack my hunt bag, it might be for a period of time im hunting for, but I also pack it to stay indefinitely where and how I can. I learnt a long time ago to pack to stay a night even in my day pack for a day hunt with no planned night trip. I used to tell a mate this a lot, he never listened. With fading light and just 10mtrs of a trail he stubbornly pushed on saying 'I know where we are'. I told him to stop, he didn't listen, I decided it was time to let him learn the hard way and followed him to my own detriment. Within 15 minutes we were badly lost. Within an hour we were in trouble, at night, in thick bush, covered in leeches, bleeding, soaked to the bone, nothing was dry, falling over stuff, sinking in quagmires, and it took him only an hour to turn to me and say 'ok, I cant do it, I will follow you can do whatever you say'. He was broken, and then he listened. My pack came off, (pack to stay a night on a day trip), first aid came out, patched up all the continual bleeding from leeches, had a quick rest, little food, and 2 and a half hours later I had us back on the trail to the car...with no gps.

Its important you come home safe to your loved ones, and in a scenario where you need to get out of home, its important you make it out there. Hope that helps, imo its only a touch of thinking and priority in packing such an important bag.
Prepping now and prepped for eternity.

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »

Good info and anecdote there Token. I seldom do 1-day walks but when I do I always have a bivy bag and a few goodies in case I get stuck for the night.

As for the INCH contents, I don't have an INCH bag yet but am very experienced with long (up to 2 weeks) walks and for the most part bushwalking would be the same (sans firearms :), but see below). It will vary a lot on you locality, climate, water, people, animals etc etc.

For example I have never carried a gun on a walk but with the rise in feral dogs around here that may change, even for a standard bushwalk but certainly when INCHing.

If water is available I carry standard Woollies-style pasta meals, scroggin (nut/fruit/etc mix), chocolate, muesli/energy bars and something sweet like jelly babies for an energy hit. That's about it for food, 750 grams per day in my case.

Then there are things like a toilet spade/paper, head lamp and backup torch, knife, piece of closed-cell foam (500x500mm) to sit on or for getting changed in cold/wet conditions. Good tent/hoochie/groundsheet/hammock depending on the climate and you preference. A pair of "camp slippers" so you can get your boots of at the end of the day, believe me it's heaven. In warm climates I use sandals, in cold climates I use skin diver's neoprene booties. These are also good for crossing freezing creeks in the mountains.

Spare boot laces, some para chord, compass, proper topo maps (in a waterproof holder so you can consult them in the rain),

Consulting the map on a 10-day walk through the Budawangs, note pack size and closed-cell foam folded at the back.

small umbrella, proper water bladder and a backup wine cask bladder, Camelback or similar or hydration while walking.

Umbrella? Yep, it is useful for all sorts of shelter, for example

Cold and wet morning in the Tarkine wilderness (that's me in the read jacket with yellow cup), we used my umbrella to shelter the coffee/porridge-making facilities.

You should be able to do all this in about 10kgs + water + food + weapon(s), I plan to revisit my kit soon and reckon I can do better. It's imperative that you get the weight down. Look at everything and think if there's a lighter version, can something else do that job as well as another job, is it even required?. Cut the weight down as far a possible, then cut it even more. :) Even the pack itself, is that the lightest you can get that's up to the job?

I honestly think that preppers should join their local bushwalking club and learn the ropes from experienced walkers, also they will know places that few "civilians" know. If you can go on a X-day walk in comfort you can bug out IMO.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:48:00 pm by graynomad »
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 12:49:39 pm »

Note that all the above assumes you are walking, but even if you have a vehicle there's a good chance you'll wind up walking anyway for various reasons, so it still applies IMO.

Peter

• Owner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:56 pm »

An INCH bag is more about sustainability than 'stuff'.

The physical objects in an INCH bag are to be directly associated with in-depth knowledge about the topic.

For instance, I have the various kinds of seeds in my INCH bag - with out knowledge on what to do with these seeds, they are more or less useless.

As for fire starting, its better to know how to make a fire drill, than to carry a lot of limited use fire starters, even flint starters will run out eventually. That said, having a flint starter is still a nice idea, because if used correctly, it could theoretically last years and years.

What I am trying to say, nicely :) is that the question is wrong, its not what I have in my INCH bag that matters, its what I know injunction with whats in my INCH bag.

And like BOB bags, it can depend heavily on where you live and where you plan to high tale it to ... when the shit hits the fan!
Oz Prepper YouTube channel
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:45 pm »

What you are saying is the most important resource, weapon is your brain!! So look after it and keep feeding it knowledge!!
The right physical items makes a big difference. 

Just a note of fire.
I was amazed when I first came to Australia was in a conference and the woman was talking about the aboriginals in Tas, and how they used to move with a fire stick as they did not have any know how to make fire - just carried they fire with them.  It does show how important fire is.
I have magnifying glass - I suppose that is my only long term item.  But know a lot of friction methods that I need to practice. 
We live in interesting times!!

tuffenuff

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »

not to belabor the point Peter is making, but most anthropologists are of the school that new technologies and the advantages it gave even in the time of the early primitives (preppers? lol), were the main reasons for their survival and eventual dominance. there is a school of thought that a lot of these technologies, (better nappery and resultant spear and arrow points for example as well as bows and trapping innovations), arose out of Africa and rippled through the world. it is also apparent that these peoples did not carry with them much equipment but knew how to sustain themselves from the surrounding environment replacing broken or worn out gear as necessary. knowledge then and innovation are the preppers most precious articles. i also think that many in prepping try to sustain a present day (almost) lifestyle which in the case of a shtf scenario and an inch bag is a furfey,
keepin the wolves @ bay

Trapper

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:15:36 am »

As per previous comments my brain is my most important item. Feed it and use it.

My INCH bag is now at its shelf life and I'm going through and upgrading it. (80L pack for me and 40L for the missus).

Core items:
Machete
Hatchet
Axe
Saw
KFS
Stove
8L water
20L water storage
Water filtration
Hutchi
Hammock
Sleeping bag
200m para cord
30m 90lb trace
First aid kit
Spare saw blades
T/D bow
Nav kit
Food and clothing

That is my pack and it comes in loaded at 83kg, but it's my lazy man luxury kit.

I have a hiking kit that weighs in at 27kg not as much in it but with my knowledge something that contains bare minimum essentials to use as a INCH.

My kit I deem has a shelf life of 5 years. Technology changes rapidly and there might be something new and improved that'll make life comfortable in a INCH situation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:23:20 am by Trapper »

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 03:07:48 pm »

I assume you don't carry the 83kg version. :)

OzHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:21 pm »

One thing that I am looking at adding to inch bag would be a few square takeaway food containers.  Very light pack into each other.  Use for air/water tight storage, if you bag a bit of food can be dried/smoked salted  and preserved inside the container.  Got 50 for under $11 at Bibino today.  I will post a later my ideas on inch bag.

offgridvic, you have a good point, Australia bush it is a tough gig a lot of the earlier explores did struggled with food.  Fishing and air rifle for birds one could give it a go. A lot has been written on to bugout not to bugout, but that is a separate topic.  Flood if really bad weather 30-40% of Austrians live in flood prone areas, and prob just as many if not more in bush fire.  Post SHTF bush fires is a big issue no fire fighters, aerial bombardment.  The pandemic from bio weapons is a very real possibility - perhaps war.

Every day we see people in the news fleeing floods, fire with only the cloths on their back - good to have a inch pack. It is off topic for this thread.  I have bugged out countries already - Happy Australia day for tomorrow.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:56:17 pm by OzHippy »

OzHippy

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »

2-5 day pack from a guy that woks for a survival training crowd in Australia, some good advice.  I think he is original South African - they have some good vids on their home page.

Splitter

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:40:22 pm »

i have a military 80l duffle bag and whilst all so far fits inside it ( more to add ) some of my gear will be on webbing and belt.
this is what i take hunting for up to a week

machette
hatchet
knife roll with with boneing knife,skinning knife,and gut hook
bino's
compass ( lensatic )
maps
pad and pencil
5l collapsable water bottle
1l millitary aluminium canteen with mess kit
1l plastic canteen
water purification tabs ( 100 )
life straw x2
camp stretcher ( just the material, can use branches for poles and can be configered for bed,seat or hammock).
tarp
meters of cordage
electrical tape
duct tape
emergency blanket
dry bag ( change of clothes,socks x3 )
lightweight rain poncho
first aid kit
sowing kit
hand line ( and small tackle box of sinkers,hooks and swivels)
spare parts and tools ( for my bow)
multi tool
slingshot ( + two spare bands and 100 rounds )
bow and arrows + broadheads ( this dose not fit  ;D )
water and wind proof matches
farro rod
magnesium fire starter
bic lighter
magnifying glass
signal mirror
tinder ( home made frome cotton balls , vaso and parrefin wax)
char cloth
survival manual
neoprene face mask
deck of cards
wet stone
diamond dust sharpener
jerky
soup mix ( sachet's)
3 single serve packs of saltanas
ockey strap
two grapple traps
two lightweight and collapsible yabbie/baitfish traps
6 single serve peanut butter ( what you get at motels ) ( for bait )
sunscreen ( travel )
bug off (travel)
super glue

im sure ive forgotten something ill have to double check my checklist and ammend it.
and this is just mine
the missus and daughters have there own much smaller and personlised kits
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:51:56 pm by Splitter »
redundancies
you can never have enough
if you have one mite aswell make it two
When injustice becomes law resistance is duty

sleepydude

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:37 pm »

here is my inch/bob but i use it for more for hunting
my bag is crossfire dg3
apex biviy bag with a sleeping bag
takedown bow 45lb and arrows they fit in the molle nicely
first aid kit with snake bandages, panadol, zyrtec and some antibotics
garmin etrex 20 gps, it used to mark were i seen game and were my trail cameras are and it handy to double check ur location
a butchers knife set
a bushcrafting knife that i made :D
a water filter one u can pump and a billy to boil the water after
6x snares / the relaxing lock ones
map of my area and were i go often also compass
a solar charger to keep AAs charged for the trail camera and to charge my garmin
two torches one hand held one and one with a hook
small axe or hatchet
spare camo clothes
survival saw
handheld uhf 80 channels 4watt
paracord
a mess kit
fire kit
a compact shovel also a roll of survival paper lol
two garbage bags if needed u put them over bush and the next day u got some water
1L of water and two mainstay 2400 bars also some homemade mre's :D

Trapper

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 05:39:23 pm »

Yep I do sometimes. If I cannot carry it for 5 days then I may as well sit at home  ;D

If for whatever reason, if I cannot drive out of home I need to be able to walk out.

Trapper

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:28 pm »

Yep I do sometimes. If I cannot carry it for 5 days then I may as well sit at home  ;D

If for whatever reason, if I cannot drive out of home I need to be able to walk out.

Hey Trapper , may I ask how old you are mate ? and if you have family ?

If I had to walk 5 days I certainly could with no problem , but I would need to take my miners shovel , to bury my misses in the bush  after the 2nd day !!    seriously ! lol

Yep I have a missus. It'll be a case of hike 2 wait 2 until we got to our closest location.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Arkane 1
pinhead 1
Pedro 1