Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Time for a revolt
by Paddler
[Today at 07:13:32 am]
Re: The peace preached by the Koran
by hailesellasie
[June 23, 2017, 10:32:41 pm]
by Arkane
[June 23, 2017, 09:08:28 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:24:16 pm]
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:07:14 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 44135
  • *Total Topics: 4163
  • *Online Today: 63
  • *Most Online: 406
(February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 60
  • *Total: 60
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats in your INCH Bag?  (Read 6639 times)

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
Re: Whats in your INCH Bag?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 11:06:42 pm »

Yikes, no way I could carry 80+kgs. Mind you nobody should really as it will bugger your back and knees, you must be a big lad Trapper.

That said I can walk indefinitely (well 2 weeks is the longest I've done) with about 25kgs. I reckon it would be easy to stay out for a month or so if you can find water. After that better have a cache, a BOL, know how to hunt, or be ready to retake your compound.

My missus is an entirely different story, so point taken about that.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:06 am »

Lol, That 83 kgs would be my wife and almost the 2 kids!
Most regular/ex-regular soldiers have buggered hips, knees, shoulders and ankles and it is mostly caused
by the extreme amount of weight they have been made to carry around on their backs.
I have a mate who was the radio lance jack and his carry load was even worse!
Moving around the country side with a family is not something I want to think about especially while on foot.
Just keep enough gear in backpacks for a couple of days and make it light enough that wife and kids can haul just
the featherweight stuff.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 07:24:03 am »

Depending on the terrain, historically fleeing people used wheelbarrows, shopping carts, hand carts to move goods.  I was thinking of getting some short sturdy BMX bicycle wheels to put an back and drag the weight. Even if you have to dismantle and carry over tough terrain in two of three trips.  A quick google search and found great images and a prepper site talking about man powered vehicles.  Can put your not so fit family member on the back - less work than digging the 6 foot hole!!!!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

We live in interesting times!!

OzHippy

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 07:30:13 am »

Why do people always steal my ideas before I have even had them!!  Apologies cant resist images, you can be caveman or reinvent the wheel, one of mans greatest inventions..

OzHippy

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 07:38:07 am »

Lol, That 83 kgs would be my wife and almost the 2 kids!
I used to hit the weights in the gym, any person who can bench press and squat his own body weight is starting to get to top fitness.  I think the 83kg should be 83L of gear.  But he is caring a lot of water!! 
If in a group one can reduce load by 50% one carries the pots an pans, the other the axe and machete, another the tarp/tent, first aid etc...  The bigger the group the easier it is.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 08:51:44 am »

Token only has to carry his rifle!
His wife and 25 kids can handle the rest of gear ;)
Just joking mate!
Kids can carry lighter bedding gear and other small's.
Get a horse and you can carry a lot more or even a mule or donkey.
Worked out well for the old timers and early miners.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

self-sufficient

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 08:54:14 am »

80+ KG that's crazy heavy you must be build like a clydesdale horse.

Dont get me wrong but I feel that other than water (that is incredibly heavy and dense for its size and how much you need in some conditions) Your gear shouldn't weigh that much.

I think I could get away with 15kg + water and even then I would feel held back by cumbersome crap. Perhaps I have a different way of traveling. I'm lean 70kg  can bench my body weight no prob though. Though I like to travel light and fast. Particularly in my area that is very hilly. I grew up in very hilly terrain and feel comfortable with that.

Lady Tasman

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:10 am »

Hey guys, excellent comments.
I'm a little wary of separating the contents of INCH bags - like first aid with 1 person, hunting items with another etc. It definitely makes the job easier and you get to take more items, but what happens if for some reason the group is split up? I'd prefer to carry my own.
Which brings me to another point I noticed discussed- the ability of wives to carry gear and walk.
We are fully expecting SOMETHING to happen in the future so shouldn't we be as prepared as possible?
It's all good sitting here reading articles- but if you know your family couldn't survive shouldn't you be preparing them as well as your INCH bags?
Aussies are a mighty unfit group and a huge percentage are overweight or unfit- or both.
I think those with small children or disabled family should think about the need to break getting to locations into smaller sections, with some excellent camouflage used. Providing you are out of immediate danger as long as you're moving forward in an INCH situation you will eventually get where you need to be. We are talking long term relocation after all.
Keeping littlies quiet is another thing to consider. If there is danger behind the next tree for instance.
Do you have a gag? Seriously folks.
You will need to be able to silence and restrain anyone who is unable to comprehend the danger and act accordingly.
Lady T

Splitter

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:27 am »

Hey guys excellent comments.
I'm a little wary of separating the contents of INCH bags - like first aid with 1 person, hunting items with another etc. It definitely makes the job easier and you get to take more items, but what happens if for some reason the group is split up? I'd prefer to carry my own.
Which brings me to another point I noticed discussed- the ability of wives to carry gear and walk.
We are fully expecting SOMETHING to happen in the future so shouldn't we be as prepared as possible?
It's all good sitting here reading articles- but if you know your family couldn't survive shouldn't you be preparing them as well as your INCH bags?
Aussies are a mighty unfit group and a huge percentage are overweight or unfit- or both.
I think those with small children or disabled family should think about the need to break getting to locations into smaller sections, with some excellent camouflage used. Providing you are out of immediate danger as long as you're moving forward in an INCH situation you will eventually get where you need to be. We are talking long term relocation after all.
Keeping littlies quiet is another thing to consider. If there is danger behind the next tree for instance.
Do you have a gag? Seriously folks.
You will need to be able to silence and restrain anyone who is unable to comprehend the danger and act accordingly.
Lady T

Agree with you about splitting up gear if your in a big group
But as a family , I for one wouldn't allow any of us to become seperated, and if it was unfortunately to happen I wouldn't stop till there found.
Single file, wife and I swap ( taking point) depending on terain and local.kids in center.

And about gags and keeping yoyr youngens quiet. There was a thread a bit back that went into it pretty deep and alot of opinions on the matter were expressed. Cant rember the thread of top of my head tho
Ill check through my posts and find it unless anyone can remember.

I prepare my family every day. And they dont even know it :o ;D
And being overweight and unfit. Thankfully isnt something we need to worry about.
But if we were it would be first on my list of improvements to be implemented.
Health and fitness is key in a bugout scenario,  otherwise you fall by the way side and become food for another predator. So to speak. !!.

redundancies
you can never have enough
if you have one mite aswell make it two
When injustice becomes law resistance is duty

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:40 am »

I think I could get away with 15kg + water and even then I would feel held back by cumbersome crap.

Last time I weighed stuff was just before a 10-day walk in the mountains. I had 17kgs, including 2-3 liters of water but excluding about 10kgs of camera gear (one of the burdens of being a nature photographer) so 27kgs all up.

Of that food was 7.5kgs (I average 750gms per day), so excluding food/water/cameras we have a pack of  about 7kgs for the very basics. Seems a bit light and I'm going from memory so maybe the water was not included. Anyway certainly in 10kgs you can have everything you need except food and water.

Now my experience is with bushwalking, not bugging out, similar but not the same and you certainly to plan to "come home" when bushwalking :)

Originally I thought, OK, drop the camera gear and use that 10kgs for more food. Trouble is in a real BO situation I would have stuff I don't need when bushwalking, most notably a rifle, pistol and plenty of ammo. That could easily weigh 10kgs so I'm back to where I was.

As I now live in a warm climate (CQ) I may be able to drop 1 or even 2 kgs off my shelter and clothing, OTOH the above load was the same for a 5-day Karijini walk, that's a hot area and I needed everything.

Therefore, until I get around to seriously working up an INCH bag I will go with a minimum weight of 25kgs for everything for 2 weeks (but you must find water).

BTW I have a very light 60l pack, a 150gm sleeping bag, 1.7kg tent, 250gm sleeping mat etc etc. I spent a lot of time tuning my gear to weigh as little as possible. I still wear heavy leather boots though and every pound on your feet = 10 pounds on your back, so that needs to be addressed as well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:04:54 am by graynomad »

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 10:09:41 am »

Here we see my super small sleeping mat, my tent is hidden but it's exactly the same as my mate's behind me (seen with no fly).

This is day 3 into the Karijini walk, the previous photo was day 5 and about 1 hour from the road and a cold beer, I was pretty much over it by then :)
Pages: 1 [2]

Top Posters This Week