Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:56:07 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:41:48 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:37:11 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:13:56 am]
Re: Cannibalism after SHTF.
by sea-dove
[November 20, 2017, 11:35:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1831
  • *Latest: Dr Doom

• *Total Posts: 46267
  • *Total Topics: 4276
  • *Online Today: 47
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 32
  • *Total: 32
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Your Top 10 most coveted Bartering items post fall  (Read 12431 times)

M44

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Re: Your Top 10 most coveted Bartering items post fall
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2016, 11:30:32 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...In the event of a volcanic eruption or other event that obscures the sun for more than a year, owning a gun for other than protection is pretty much useless if there aren't any critters to shoot for food.

Unless you subscribe to the dietary habits of the Terminus folks from the Walking Dead that is...

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if all the critters are dead as you correctly surmise would be the case after a year or so without sunlight, then what use would cheese-making/yoghurt-making skills be if there is no longer any milk available, because all the dairy cows/goats/sheep etc are dead?  Same thing with the ham/bacon curing; all the pigs are dead so no smallgoods...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:27:39 am by M44 »

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 07:22:53 am »

We may not have a total solar "eclipse" forever from suspended sulphuric acid and ash particles in the atmosphere. But we could very well have a severely reduced ability to produce food and of course most idiots
would die. A lot of data quoted implies a 10 year decline in solar input the grow food in such an event.
I could dehydrate a lot beef jerky in the time it takes for all our livestock to die off or numbers be severely reduced. I am sure you would get sick of the taste of it, but hey if you do not eat you do not shit and if you do not shit you die! Australia's position on the globe makes it one of the prime bugout locations on the planet.
I may be wrong, but I am sure I read some wheres that Alice Springs has had a massive increase in population
over the last few years for that reason alone. Feminine pads are great items as they can be used for field dressing as well as the helping with the never ending wound. (no offence)
If you needed to eat someone else for survival and the end of the situation was too far away not any other option, never say never, especially if your kids are dying from starvation!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

keithholden

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 10:21:54 am »

There will be no guns in Australia by 2030 the govt will outlaw them as seen on tv with the atler shotgun.
Trapping will be the way as suggested above so a book on that would be worth more than anything.

Yes bow and arrow would be great how ever you have to spend all day walking around spending time and energy.
Where a trap is set and check with no limits to how many.

For defence a good dog perhaps and a machette with shield.
The economic system will crash as every money system before it that was not backed by oil gold or land.

If the power goes out in usa after 9 months 80 percent of people will be gone.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 10:48:56 am »

...In the event of a volcanic eruption or other event that obscures the sun for more than a year, owning a gun for other than protection is pretty much useless if there aren't any critters to shoot for food.

Unless you subscribe to the dietary habits of the Terminus folks from the Walking Dead that is...

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if all the critters are dead as you correctly surmise would be the case after a year or so without sunlight, then what use would cheese-making/yoghurt-making skills be if there is no longer any milk available, because all the dairy cows/goats/sheep etc are dead?  Same thing with the ham/bacon curing; all the pigs are dead so no smallgoods...
Homo Sapiens will be dead long before all the pigs die out. Pigs are one of the most resilient animals.
We live in interesting times!!

OzHippy

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:52 am »

There will be no guns in Australia by 2030 the govt will outlaw them as seen on tv with the atler shotgun.
I agree with the rest of your post, I very much doubt guns will be outlawed by 2030, politicins are now desperate for votes and there is world wide a rise of the patriotic conservative.  UK, USA, One nation in Australia is making a lot of waves, The french election this week will be very interesting, the anti globalist have a very good chance of taking over France and that will be the end of the EU.   
I am also expecting a major SHTF event within the next 4 years, actually sooner than later.   

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 06:48:33 am »

So what happens to the 3 million covert buried guns and the other 200,000 a year that come into the country
from overseas as well as those made here locally?
The gun free country aint never guna make it here!
Just stock up and store ammo as an investment.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:59 am »

I am sure a gunsmith will be thriving during the SHTF scenario, once he starts making guns/rifles he will be one of the best paid people during that time  LOL

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 03:21:26 pm »

I do have extensive stocks of barrels and spare parts squirreled away in far far away land!
Close to greynomad actually!
Hopefully may be better than pm's?

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 05:40:11 pm »

I do have extensive stocks of barrels and spare parts squirreled away in far far away land!
Close to greynomad actually!
Hopefully may be better than pm's?
With a few tools you should be set  8)

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:26 am »

Got my lathe, miller, pantograph and chamber reamers, headspace guages etc etc etc.
Basic essentials of life! :o ;) ;D

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 06:29:44 pm »

Got my lathe, miller, pantograph and chamber reamers, headspace guages etc etc etc.
Basic essentials of life! :o ;) ;D
Sounds like you are all set master  8)

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:13 pm »

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :-[ ;D

sea-dove

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 04:30:54 pm »

I' be trading (in no importance of order)

1/ seeds, plants, cuttings  (seeds would be the top thing I'd be trading)

2/ books

3/ food as in the plant variety of food

4/ spices

5/ herbs for medicines

6/ Skills and services

a/ my skill and services in making thing from leather for people (even now I occassionally get asked by people who know me to make them certain things, a glasses case, a belt a purse etc).  I have a awesome bag Ive made which I get asked I wear it out where I got it from by others wanting to buy one.

b/ my skill in diagnostic medicine, herbal medicine etc. I could consult like a local medicine woman (I went to collage and studied western herbal medicine for over a couple of years.  I also have had training in delivering babies, so could take on a midwifery role in SHTF (that role would be seen as a highly valuable one in a post event community where most had died)

c/ sewing skills (you'd be surprised how many females cant sew now days, I think a couple of my sisters have never held a sewing needle! they dont even mend anything).

d/ my services for childcare

e/ my services for teaching (I home schooled for 2 years)..

f/ water finding.  I have a bit of experience with the adelaide dowsing club and with dowsing.  I was successful in dowsing someones yard one time for where the water was and how deep it was at.

g/ I could give some classes in various skills eg growing things etc

h/ I have another more unusual skill which Ive spent years learning but I wont mention here as I want to keep it secret but in a SHTF it can be valuable and could barter the skill (and no its not in bomb making  :P )

I wouldnt though barter at all for quite a while as Im hiding out in a SHTF situation as long as possible but a few months or so in. 

Id barter for as long as I cant travel very far at all  (these are in order)

1/ fish  (I'd go down to the beach nearby and get my own if I was more able).

2/ salt eg beach water I can evaporate to try to get salt (another thing I'd go down to close by beach and sort out myself if more able). I need lots of salt due to medical condition I have (4-7g per day to be functioning at my best)

3/ rabbits

4/ a couple of chickens (if I hadnt got my own chickens by then, I should though have chickens soon)

5/ other foods I dont have which I may want at times for just having something different

6/ medical supplies and glasses (my eyes as I age are starting to decline due to just the getting older thing  I only wear number 1 glasses currently but would in a SHTF make sure I have the other grades in case eyes got worst with more age.   Also IV supplies is a big thing to me).

7/ tools (in SHTF I'd barter so I had at least 2 of what I have so to have a spare..  very important for things such as shovels!). If anyone had spare of these too I'd take them even if I wasnt really needing them as they are great future barter items for me.

8/ books  (then later I'd barter them for different ones)

9/ a horse, donkey,  pony or cow .. one animal I could use for transport of myself short distances when things in SHTF had started to settle down some or could be used to bring goods back to me (eg 10L of salt water from beach at a time to get salt).  I could train a cow to let me ride it if need be.  (a horse for me would be safer then a gopher.. I could tie myself onto a horse so not to fall if I passed out and horses head back home! Well mine used to always be eager to get back home when I had horses.  Horses too can travel quite quickly).

10/ a goat (I had a goat for a while I used to milk)

11/ skins or leather (for me to make things with).

12/ any items which are in high demand that I myself wont use but i can easily barter to others eg so I would accept good batteries for barter even though i got no intent to use myself.

my list is a lot different to the others here as I would try to like go back in time and live the old ways like before batteries etc :) . Someone here said epidemic supplies.. Ive prepped some for that but I wouldnt try to barter for more supplies for that in a SHTF as I'd be completely trying to avoid others in an epidemic and would see coming into contact with others to gain these supplies as a risk of infection in the midst of an epidemic

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:57:31 pm by sea-dove »

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:26 pm »

Just wonder if anyone trading the wife   :-X

OzHippy

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2017, 09:13:34 pm »

Just wonder if anyone trading the wife   :-X

Money or your life - take the wife!! 

It is a one off barter that will end badly...  Was listening to all the ANZAC stories on the radio today and one commentators was saying black humour is rife in war time. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Top Posters This Week