Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50493
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 48
  • *Total: 49

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Rosemary  (Read 2235 times)

crazycatlady

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
    • Juniper Cottage - living simply
Rosemary
« on: December 22, 2015, 08:36:48 am »

Thought it was time for another one.  I picked rosemary because it is so common.  But when growing for medicinal use, make sure you go for rosmarinus officialanus.  The herb of remembrance.

Originally this was a wild herb of the Mediterranean region.  Its blue flowers reminded people of the sea and originated the bible story of Mary throwing her cloak over the plant while fleeing from Herod.  the cloak turned the flowers blue.  Mary is always shown dressed in a blue cloak.

The main use I make of rosemary is as a culinary herb, especially for mutton.  It suggests itself for the fattier kind of meat but is traditionally used in baked veg as well.  Medicinally rosemary was used from greek times to aid the brain.  It is the herb of remembrance and scholars were encouraged to wear rosemary to enhance their memory.

It is indicated as an anti-inflammatory herb with special affinity for brain functions.  It is also thought to be beneficial for macular degeneration.

As with all herbs, I recommend just using them in food and perhaps tea rather than going all out and trying huge doses which may not be perfectly safe.  I like it especially as a herb for the hair.  Rosemary tea is the most effective hair conditioner that you will ever get, especially combined with good apple cider vinegar.  Rosemary water (or hydrosol) is excellent in your hair, especially darker hair.  Or hair you want to be darker.

In case of lack of refrigeration, rosemary can be very helpful in stopping meat from turning.  If I had no fridge, I would hang meat with quite a lot of tomato bushes and rosemary sprigs to help keep it good.

This herb practically has to grow in sand.  It hates wet feet with a vengeance and I have lost large amounts of this during the wet season.  Then we built a retaining wall and I backfilled this wall with sand mixed with horse poo and shredded newspaper and planted the rosemary in this and haven't had any trouble since then.  The hotter and dryer it is, the more oil intensive the plant.  Easy to propagate, its worth while popping in a hard spot somewhere.  If you can grow a sturdy rosemary hedge, it can be well used to throw clothes over to dry.  I used to do all my baby clothes like this.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Rosemary
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 08:39:20 am »

I love rosemary as a herb and also ginger!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

M44

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 01:14:38 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
...If you can grow a sturdy rosemary hedge, it can be well used to throw clothes over to dry.  I used to do all my baby clothes like this.

I like that idea; a natural way to impart a fresh scent to laundered clothes, rather than using the artificial chemical scents found in most commercial laundry powders/fabric softeners etc.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:04 pm »

The only thing I know about rosemary is that is grows like crazy and has good smell, and I have to keep cutting the bush back. Wife then dries the cuttings and stores them in mylar bags. 

Good discussion and ideas on usage. I need to seriously upgrade my plants and herbs skills, don't even know most of the one's the wife has growing in the garden. 
We live in interesting times!!

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1
MariaRoark1 1
odzy 1