Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 42
  • *Total: 43

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Any Hams here?  (Read 3641 times)

Fumsy Cluck

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
  • Because I can.
Any Hams here?
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:49:44 pm »

I'm not but I'm thinking I might dust off the books, suss out a local club, and get my licence.
I'm also curious, as per my subject line, are there any here?

I already have my regs, which would really need brushing up on but I'm sure most of it will come back to me after a bit of a refresher course.

Dad's a retired ham. It breaks my heart to see it, but he's a retired everything. He's given up on life and is just waiting to die now. :( But I digress.
Dad still has much gear which I'm sure he wouldn't mind me using.

It'll be nice to venture back in to the world of ham radio. :)

Fumsy.
You don't have to be a scout to be prepared.

Skills and knowledge. Two things that can't be stolen, lost, or run out.

Arrow

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Re: Any Hams here?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:15:15 am »

I am not a Ham but I too am looking into getting a foundation license. I bought an Anytone 6666 radio yesterday and rigged it up to a home made dipole, I am in the process of tuning it for CB band ATM.

After doing a bit of reading,I have found that we are at the bottom of the skip cycle so it will slowly pick up over the next 5 years or so. There has been a lot of talk on comms here   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Its great to see someone else starting back into it. I hope we can catch up on air.
When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw

Fumsy Cluck

• Because I can.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:42 am »

Yes, we're heading towards a grand minimum atm. The sun has been very quiet to say the least.

We had some BEAUTIFUL ducting weather a could of weeks ago. You could have skipped for days. lol

I don't know the types of licences they have these days but I was planning on going full call no morse. Back a dozen or so years ago (not entirely sure when) they dropped the morse from the full call requirements for I guess you would call a 2nd level full call. Full call op's know morse. I don't care how they (is ACMA atm is it? I've lost count of the number of name changes they have had over the years!) change their reqs for various licences, a full call ham knows morse. Period.
My hearing is munted and I have trouble hearing the code clearly. I do know some morse and I'm sure it'll all come flooding back if I started studying it again. I used to be able to send fluently while reading what I was sending at 15wpm. I know that's not the same as recalling off the top of your head but I never progressed past that point as being a typical teen/young adult, I lost interest. It didn't help that dad was extremely pushy with his "encouragement".

It's groovy to see someone else interested in getting in to it too. It'll be good to have a ham network across the country. CB is ok, but it's only for "local" coms in my mere humble opinion. If you want to communicate interstate or internationally, ham is the way to go. 8)
You don't have to be a scout to be prepared.

Skills and knowledge. Two things that can't be stolen, lost, or run out.

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:40 pm »

What about HF? IIRC no license required and works all over.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Lt Marauder

• The value of an idea lies in the using of it.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 10:18:24 pm »

I have Advanced License and call sign.
I have Yaesu FT-817ND with 2m, 70cm vertical and G5RV Junior Multi-Band Antenna.
It is a low power rig but if SHTF in a big way then much of the background noise disappears.
I am trying to relearn Morse code again after a break from Ham Radio of about 40 year.

It is hard to find time to do everything while working on a Masters Degree in IT Security.
The best thinking has been done in solitude. The worst has been done in turmoil.

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 11:17:22 am »

I have a Yaesu FT-107, pretty old unit I think but the local HAM club checked it and it is good to go.

I have an antenna tuner as well so I think I can use it with any old piece of wire for starters.

But I have no time to tinker with this stuff either.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:19:53 am by graynomad »
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:54 pm »

Way too complicated for me!
Too many freq bands etc

I have 477meg for local/tactical comms and a good 27meg SSB unit for longer comms and that is complicated enough for me! the 27meg has a stationmaster antenna and I may invest in some sort of beam antenna when I eventually move from this hole! will need to be foldable!

Ham gets your details on the net for any to see, not too keen on that!

And those who are buying a ham radio or just a 27meg radio to maybe setup and use after there is a world of learning involved ! better to get setup now and sort it all out now than after ham wise or just CB !

It took me more than a year to fix all the little problems and have my setup running proper!
Not something you can just get out of a box hook it all up and be ready to go! far from it!

Milspec

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:23:59 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have Advanced License and call sign.
I have Yaesu FT-817ND with 2m, 70cm vertical and G5RV Junior Multi-Band Antenna.

Any recommendations on antennas for someone starting out (space is not a big constraint)?
... --- ...

SHTF CS KTX 27.275 & 477.075 CTCS 27

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1
MariaRoark1 1