Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1930
  • *Latest: Lizzie

• *Total Posts: 49017
  • *Total Topics: 4387
  • *Online Today: 54
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 41
  • *Total: 41
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there such a thing?  (Read 5203 times)

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Is there such a thing?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 07:17:47 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If just having a chimney you need a good sized and well shaped "witches hat" on top to assist the draw.
Agreed.  Two years ago we had an audit on the furnaces where I work, and the guy told us to get rid of the weather cap on top the smoke stack, and replace it with a weather sleeve.  Basically a  large diameter pipe that is place over the top of the chimney with a few spokes.  Rainfall never fall down completely straight and will be captured in the outer pipe and run down the sides.  The 'sleeve' adds air from the bottom and vents the smoke higher up. as per attached diagrams.  There are Australian standards for the design but basically the sleeve is one ince large than than your chimney and height is 4 x the diameter of the chimney.
Weather caps vent the smoke horizontally.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:23:06 am by OzHippy »
We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 07:46:24 am »

The other thing I forgot is to say that most of the tar and gum is in the sap ring under the bark of the tree.
Another reason to have well seasoned timber as older standing dead timber often has the sap of the tree eroded away!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

dagyboy

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »

Not aware of any type of thing to hide smoke or a diffuser. But if you are in the middle of 100 acres that has at least some bush around, for some one to pin point you just by smell is near impossible, humans smell stink as compared to a dog. As in line of sight with smoke, yeah some might come and have a look, but that's the risk you run, or just try and have fire at night, not during the day.
the vietcong did it during the war. if u wish to know about it please message me .

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:40 am »

Yep use a well made rocket stove. :)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Benarkin-Rebel

• Living One-Day-At-A-Time
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 08:20:40 am »

BUT back to my question ........ Is there such as thing as a diffuser or filter system to lessen the smell or smoke produced by a wood burning stove?

Does something like that exist or any ideas to diffuse the smoke without affecting the performance of the auger?

Rocket stoves can be up to 90% efficient, in burning wood, and very little smoke if any, (only on start up will smoke be seen), with air injection from a small air blower all smoke can be eliminated and increase the efficiency,

there are many ideas for what a rocket stove is and how to build them ---- on youtube, 
you can build small ones to carry and large home ones,

rikrikrik

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 10:32:10 am »

so you will want to build a room to catch all the carbon (smoke) and then treat all the smell thru maybe a giant cotton ball?  seams crazy, i mean if you want to be a crazy hermit, or just be smart when you do your cooking, dont use smokey wood

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 11:07:28 am »

Have a wood drying rack next to the fire!
Burn only VERY dry wood and keep the fire hot
KEEP ALL YOUR COOKING COVERED this will prevent 99% of odours

The above will keep you hidden well!
Pages: 1 [2]

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
ozspark 1
Arkane 1