Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:56:07 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:41:48 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:37:11 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:13:56 am]
Re: Cannibalism after SHTF.
by sea-dove
[November 20, 2017, 11:35:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1831
  • *Latest: Dr Doom

• *Total Posts: 46267
  • *Total Topics: 4276
  • *Online Today: 47
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 31
  • *Total: 31
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: SHTF and disability  (Read 3332 times)

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: SHTF and disability
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:24 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you build fencing?

no.. lots of other females I bet cant do fencing either! That's something which should be put in place BEFORE SHTF. Suddenly putting up a once once it hit would only draw spectulation to yourself "is that person hiding a lot of food?"

sea-dove

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »

Sea dove just needs a helmet on in case she passes out is all.

I wish it was that simple, I helmet doesnt protect one from someone raping me.  I'd also need a chastity belt  ;D

sea-dove

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 12:26:50 pm »

Or would you just be a talking head restricted to a throne giving instructions????
I am also a carer for an elderly relative so also have experience at that!

I do that to my support workers haha (they are paid to follow my instructions). but I do help them as much as I possibly can before I end up back in bed.  Life in a crisis or disaster would be far different then it is now.. things like having a freshly washed floor or perfect laundry etc etc become less important.  The things I rely on my workers for now would be far less important.

I finally have my support back today and have a support worker here doing my dishes right now (Id be out there helping her do so, with her handing me dishes to dry as she's washing them.. and me wiping those (as I have to sit with legs up I cant easily get to my sink while sitting so I have them pass them to me to dry.. my sink hasnt been made assessible properly to my wheelchair so causing me to have to have the freshly washed dishes passed to me for drying). 

But I screwed up with my brain issues and forgot how I need to do things, so made it so she's come too early in morning and her freshly put on clothes are still covered in washing perfumes so Ive had to lock myself away from her so Im having to stay away in my bedroom with door shut while she's here with all the windows out there open to try to air out he washing perfumes as she works. (I usually have the workers come in afternoon so that then isnt an issue.. perfumes from laundry detergents have then gone from clothes).

Its going to be a blessing for me to have all the perfumes gone in SHTF. It causes me so many problems and to get so sick at times. SHTF removes some of my major problems I have now. Its like being allergic to this century and Im needing to go back in time. SHTF solves a big issue for me.  Its a world I  may be more easily be able to live in

Elderly people are different to those younger disabled people.. for a few reasons

1/ Many elderly people give up on life, they are like just waiting around to die (my grandmother is a good example of someone like that).  Elderly people stop learning (studies) and growing as they know their life is at an end. They are not working to better themselves any more.

May elderly grandmother doesnt even like to go out so doesnt want to go out any more cause "she's old" where as Im always wishing I could get and do things. If always go out if I have a way to safely get out and do things.

There is a world of difference between an elderly person sitting around waiting to die and me.

2/ Elderly people are frail.  I do injure myself easily but I tend to bounce when I fall. (I fall a lot).  If I fall though Im fall less likely to injure myself as Im in my 40s then someone who falls in their 70s and 80s who then is likely to have broken a hip or something. The things I fall on are at more risk then me (I often break items during falls)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:44:16 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 12:48:39 pm »

I got one as well so do not fret!
Aboriginal tradition was to leave them under a shady tree with food and water when they could not walk anymore.
Come back and check on them in 4-6 weeks to see if they were ok! :o ;)

thanks so horrid but one can understand why they did that as the were nomads.  Most of us preppers do not plan to be nomads in SHTF.  If we have food growing, we will not want to be leaving

So for us not being nomads,  not being able to walk far become less of an issue and a person who cant walk far still can be productive even if its just peeling and preparing the veg for all the others dinners and doing other tasks which need doing which can be done while sitting eg preparing grape canes for planting or whatever (I used to spend hours sitting helping a boyfriend I had at time do that).

There may be children to help look after so parents can go and work and do other things or whatever.  (or is this  SHTF society going to be child free  :P  ).  Someone may want someone who cant walk far to help nurse an elderly parent who is bedridden or to keep an eye on a wife who is in last month or two of pregnancy who they may not wish to leave at times. 

I was a full time carer for a quadruplegic guy while i was very sick myself, I just sat or layed there all day by his bed (spent all day watching tv with him).. giving him drinks from the jug by his bed, spoon feeding him. He wasnt in a home as the only way he could control his pain was via having a illegal drugs (this guy was in terrible pain)... so I used to hold his pipe for him while he smoked it till his pain settled down some.

One week I did 70hrs work in just 1 week there though I could hardly walk myself. others used to come in and do the physical stuff with him eg showering him and did the actual cooking for him, I just spoon fed him. I did also feed his fish.  I'd be still working there if I could still drive and that guy wasnt such an arsehole, he was truely horrible and would verbally abuse and yell at workers (when he was in hospital he used to purposely run electric wheelchair into nurses and leave bruises).

I quit working there after he threatened to have the little puppies he had killed by someone if I didnt do something faster for him. He was very psychologically abusing and a bitter person.  (he'd ended up in the way he was throu drunk/drug driving, hit a stobie and broke his neck)

anyway us "prepared" preppers are not nomads where we need to leave our disabled or aged loved ones (unless we had to flee our location).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:12:52 pm by sea-dove »

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 03:18:02 pm »

can you water and tend the field?

That was a general question with field as anywhere stuff is grown!

Growing enough to feed oneself is hard work for the fit and able!

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:33 pm »

Look arkane, mate she can type ok!
SD will will do the group paperwork!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:35 pm »

OK She can type for you! ;D

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:10 pm »

LOL she can do your tax returns   :o

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 06:07:50 am »

I do not do that anymore!
Was costing me too much in fees etc etc.
I am sure SD would make a good Q-store clerk for a group!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2017, 08:53:50 am »

These sound like Emotional decisions to me! Not Rational ones at all!
What was the determining factor? maybe because you are an old fashioned gentleman and she is a dependant female
and its the pc thing to do?

There are thousands of threads on many similar forums where the criteria needed to join a group are clearly outlayed
and nothing against seadove personally but she meets none of those criteria
And needing a near constant carer means taking a second/third person of essential work/duties for the entire term of her presence!
A group would be doing very well indeed if they could afford the expence!

and another factor is once known about every cripple/handicapped/sick person will want to join your group
because the leader is emotionally soft!  how many can you take in. where do you draw the line?

All easy decisions sitting there in a soft chair typing into a screen but when it happens and everyone needs to knuckle down what about then?

Her best bet might be to seek out other disabled preppers, ones with different disabilities and form a self help group with each covering the others shortfalls! not ideal but probably the best option, each would need to compromise somewhat.

Maybe form a disabled prepper co-op, pool funds get a .gov grant and build a suitable small compound with defence and self-suf in mind and disabled mods built in and run your own body corp! 8)

sea-dove

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2017, 10:58:54 am »

can you water and tend the field?

That was a general question with field as anywhere stuff is grown! 

ah, field in that respect. thought you were talking about acres of crops haha.

No i cant easily tend the field but once the plants are established and mulched up very well (I need to get lots and lots of mulch), they wont require tending and to get to that point where they are estabilished to not need watering, I are lucky enough to have such things as sprinklers and timers on taps. (im never without timers on my taps as with my memory problems I do have an issue of leaving sprinklers on all night).

There is an added bonus in this.. its easier to stay hidden in a city if Im not outside tending garden... no weeding going on, no watering going on and hence not drawing attention to my home. The only time I'd need to go outside is to quickly harvest for a meal and as little as 10 mins outside could do that for the day.  I can make my place look quite abandoned in SHTF something which those rows of lettuce etc etc, well it would be obvious to others that someone is living there if someone goes looking over your back fence.

Growing enough to feed oneself is hard work for the fit and able!

sorry Im going to disagree with that as its not the case if one has set up right and if plants which dont need to be replanting eg things which either you dont have to replant or self sow.. and do not need watering.  This is where brain over brawn comes into things.

I'll leave you to have all your physical hard work in getting food  :P 

(my work in that area is all the research Im having to do to get the right plants for my garden.. brain work for food survival, Ive spent so much time having to research this).

We both showcase very different ways of doing things. Neither is wrong, people will do what is best for them and their situation.  Maybe when Im finished my garden and are successfully producing enough food to be self sufficient there,  I should write a book "SHTF survival for the weak and feeble"     :P  (actually that sounds a great idea, that could be a great seller)

I had two more of my ordered plants come in today but unfortunately hadnt researched one as much as needed as Ive just found out it probably wont fruit well as I have the wrong bees here. augh (there is so much to catch one out if trying to do an extensive drought tolerant edible garden and plant sourcing from all over the place).  We are lucky we are in the age of internet so finding out what we need to know to do something like this is just our time and at the tip of our fingers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:21:27 am by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2017, 11:28:10 am »

I can type better then okay  :P (if it werent for bad spellings and wrong words with the current brain issues).

I passed a test at typing at 67 words a minute (maybe faster now as it was at high school I had that properly tested) and actually have a preference for typing on the old non electric typewriters which I had my typing classes on. I really dislike my computers flat typing keyboard.

I just looked at average typing speed of people, its 38-40 words a minute .  From the article I just found on typing speeds, typing at a professional typist speed  is 65-75 words per minute so at my 67+ words per min, Im typing professional typist range.  I can type as fast as I speak.

In SHTF I could be sat at an old non electric type writer to do mails to other prepper groups.. communications person  :P 

LOL tax returns.. that' another positivity about SHTF.. u wont have to worry about that.  umm though I guess even back in the day of knights and castles.. there were people who taxed others. Maybe we wont get so lucky there after all.  People esp in the city could well go to controlling certain areas and demand some kind of tax for others to keep staying there safe from others.  damn, so maybe we wont be able to get away from tax returns for long (so there is a job for me, i could do their record keeping haha).

Typists have been quite important in wars.

After the initial very dramatic crisis of whatever has happened in SHTF, I personally believe people will start trying to form and rebuild communities  (my guess would be this would be happening maybe after 3- 8 mths in the cities  (far longer though if the crisis is an deadly epidemic  as those can go on for 2-3 years before outbreaks settle. I'd want to get out of the city if that happened). 

The cities will after complete chaos, be then trying hard to get things back together where as the country areas wont probably interact so much so will be slower to start getting stuff and some kind of community intrastructure back.

Things will be very different and hard but all that stuff which doesnt need electricity, I dont think it would be too long before we have it back or people have found old items in grannies sheds stored away to be able to be pulled out and put back into use again.  There will be people doing certain roles the new communities, trying to regain our past.  In communities, people will have like jobs, it may not be like a formal job but they will have jobs.  (well those who have managed to not get locked in any form of survivor  camps if there was any of those).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:07:14 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2017, 01:04:27 pm »

These sound like Emotional decisions to me! Not Rational ones at all!
What was the determining factor? maybe because you are an old fashioned gentleman and she is a dependant female
and its the pc thing to do?

i thought he was joking though there would always be something for someone like me to do in a group.

Remember that "everything" has suddenly become a lot more labour intensive and as I said before, families have kids and other things that they may need another to look after while they are out working hard in their fields.  (I could be left with a gun to guard a house while others had to go out to try to source something).   There are many other things needing done eg cooking etc.  (no more microwaves and those packets of instant noodles some preppers have are sooner or later going to run out.. even cooking takes much more time).

Im sure there are many useful things I could do to keep busy as I can be.

After SHTF.. people will be paying attention to other survivors and if it would be good or not good for their groups to have another join their group or community esp if it isnt someone who has survived just based on luck but rather by prep. Others may have soft hearts and may take another in as long as it wasnt going to cause problems for their group.

There are thousands of threads on many similar forums where the criteria needed to join a group are clearly outlayed
and nothing against seadove personally but she meets none of those criteria 

Its completely understandable. In a crisis no one can be running a nursing home! but seriously those who survive a terrible crisis okay enough to be self substainable, show they must have something worth while there about them to later be accepted into newly forming communities after a major disaster.

I seriously doubt any group of organised preppers is going to accept me locally into their communities for SHTF except if its just like a family who can see I do have someone of value to offer and I do have hope if I keep looking I will find that, I need a network with various individuals  (like form my own community as such in a way)  and also a bug out location if my own home location became to unsafe for staying in.

And needing a near constant carer means taking a second/third person of essential work/duties for the entire term of her presence!

No, the whole lifestyle would of changed, the environment different. People dont care if floors are done  in SHTF so care needs suddenly are dropped. All those disabled people who currently get cleaners in to vaccum , mop and clean their baths toilets.. suddenly that dont matter any more and isnt essental.    If eatting just from my own self substainable garden I wouldnt need to shop for food  (that's another thing I get support to do).  The things I get support for now.. most of that is then gone.  Living standards drop and with that the pressures and expectations of thing things we get support for now.

Even cooking for me would become easier in SHTF.. cause I have trouble being on my feet to cook trouble standing at a stove to stir things etc.  A fire on the ground would make cooking on the ground would make things much much easier for me!! All of a sudden I can do my cooking without the issues I have now which requires me "some" help with this currently.  Our modem world has been all designed around people being able to be on feet doing things.  SHTF takes us back into more cave days where things were done on ground around a fire.

Sure support still would be needed  but it will be completely different support eg protection of a group.. and it would be great someone could net my apricot tree (which would then give them fruit too) but the support needs are different to what they were and work out for me in SHTF far better then they do now.  eg in SHTF someone may not mind netting an apricot tree seeing they are going to get some of the fruit too.

And protecting me in a community from intruders may not take any more effort on a community if I was with them as they need to protect everything there anyway (but with the bonus of I could be a lookout with a gun if required, my eyes and ears are fine!  A lookout placed somewhere is an example of one extremely important job that someone may need to do and which I could do. If Im in a place where Im able to lay and sit around and its not too hot outside. I can do that job as well as anyone else here if I was trained to shoot well).

I could well be a killer with bow and arrow, I once beat Simon Fairweather in Archery :)   (he went on to become an Australian gold medalist in the Olympic games). I either really fluked it big time there or may have a natural gift in that area (we grew up in the same town and I used to go horseriding with his sister who ended up competing in the Olympics too. Sadly my mother did not allow me to continue with archery as she said I was doing too many sports so I dropped it and continued with another thing I was good at at the time.. i was also talented in gymnastics and used to be able to do with bars some things u only tend to see at the Olympics. crap its sad thinking back to those days and how I are now).  I havent done any archery in a very long time but yeah in a SHTF who knows, could be something I could work on. Not many can say they once beat an Australian Olympic champion :)

want to join your group
because the leader is emotionally soft!  how many can you take in. where do you draw the line?

I personally think its the same process for ANYONE joining a group where they need to look at that persons positives and the negatives they will bring and consider how they "fit" into their group.  eg someone who cant travel well wont be able to join a group which often changes location.  and a fit healthy guy who is a bit of control freak probably wont fit into a group with many others like himself.

Her best bet might be to seek out other disabled preppers, ones with different disabilities and form a self help group with each covering the others shortfalls! not ideal but probably the best option, each would need to compromise somewhat.
OMG, that would be disasterous as of cause there is some problems around every disability. Having "to many" with disabilities within the same group would weaken it and it would be hard then to have the positives outweighing the negatives.

Are you going to have two people on guard duty.. one blind and one deaf supporting each other for guard duty  :o  haha  . and besides, I cant even find serious preppers in my own city let alone seeking out others who are "disabled".  There isnt a lot of very disabled preppers around and these are usually living with their own families.

You could have a few with disabilities within a group without weakening it (depending on your group) and using those peoples best assets but a complete group of disabled in SHTF, just would not work at all.  eg No-one healthy enough to do scouting for the group etc etc.  Some jobs require both very healthy body and mind. Someone physically disabled would be a bad scout. and someone with mental or brain disablity also would make a bad scout as a scout would to be able to be thinking fast and quick if found oneself in a difficult situation. Some jobs would not be able to be covered well in SHTF where its a life and death thing in a group where everyone is disabled.

Ive experimented a bit with my dating to see if things would be better if I dated disabled people instead of healthies.  I personally found it more difficult for things to work well if dating others with disabilities and where you think something may compliment well with this and with the others disability, it often doesnt  (take my example 2 disabled, one deaf and one blind trying to do guard duty together.. it should work shouldnt it? they sound like they compliment would you really put someone deaf and another who is blind on guard duty and put your life in their hands?)  Ive gone back the situation where I'll avoid trying to date others with serious disablities. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:48:04 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2017, 01:41:10 pm »

Maybe form a disabled prepper co-op, pool funds get a .gov grant and build a suitable small compound with defence and self-suf in mind and disabled mods built in and run your own body corp! 8)

Gov grant for disabled... yeah i wish, the government here isnt really putting money into disability.  There was recently a battle just so kids with autism  didnt have to travel over an hour away each way to go to school (many families were having to travel two and a half hours every day just so their kids could go to school). It took 2-3 years of fighting just for the government to fund a  classroom in a regular school with a teacher for those out this side of Adelaide.

BleedingGumsCityFool

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:04 pm »

A lawn mower tractor trailer would be best for you then if you need transportation.

Or you could use a petrol powered bicycle and a trailer: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

They don't go fast enough for you to need a licence and you will have considerably more range than simply just walking. Especially if you get one with a diesel engine which I highly recommend because it will mean you will have 2x the range of a petrol version.

I can also recommend some mods to do to it aswell.
#1 you can get a tractor trailer onto the back of it and daisy-chain the trailers one at a time behind each other. You can carry a suprisingly large amount of cargo if you daisy chain the trailers one onto the end of the one in front.

#2 You could make the accelerator heavily spring loaded so that if you fall asleep or blackout your foot will be pushed up and out of the way and the tractor trailer will then come to a stop.

#3 You could also make a strap which will hold you in the seat so you do not fall out. You could also attatch a 3 point safety harness seatbelt on a sports seat onto the tractor trailer (I recommend however that you get one thats very comfortable).

#4 Also attach a GPS to the tractor.

#5 Make a steel roof and attach solar panels to the rooftop so you can get some shade aswell as charge the batteries that you put in your trailer in the back. Use anderson power pole connectors to connect the solar panels to the charge controller and batteries that are in the trailer

If you have a fairly sized property you can also get around the house and do the lawn mowing! =)

You could also put headlights on the front and drive at night, or fit a quieter exhaust.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:48:57 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Top Posters This Week