Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 62
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 42
  • *Total: 44

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rifle suggestions  (Read 2359 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Rifle suggestions
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 06:45:49 am »

Remember you want something that has a 10 shot removable mag if possible as well.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Smurphy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:24 pm »

Weight shouldnt really be a factor with a 22, unless you go for an all out varmint rifle. But don't go too light, or it will be like trying to aim a matchstick. Also, the actual uses of a 22 shtr means tou really dont need a big mag. If you are planning on sending bulk lead, go for a bigger calibre. For single well aimed shots at bunnies etc, well a 10 shot mag shouldn't be an issue.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:29:52 pm by Smurphy »
First rule of a gunfight. Bring a gun.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 05:18:36 am »

If using a can in a game harvesting situation a 4 shot mag often does not cut.
Replaceable are the go as damaged feed lips or broken springs are a pain. Having a couple of spare mags is always a really good idea. I have multiples to cover most needs, some configs are 5 shot flush fit and others up
to 15 if needed. Same as having a couple of spare firing pin springs, extractors etc.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

gaz54au

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have no rifle shooting skills at range. Just pistol experience, and a little bit of it.
Looking at a first rifle and i want to dive straight into it. The reason why i mentioned 500+ was because i want to buy one (once again only pistol experience and knowledge) and continue to use it. I dont feel as though i should start of with (and just an example) a 22 and run out of range (limited knowledge) and have to buy something bigger. Ofcourse im going to start closer and slowly get up there, but for the time being, it will be prone and killing paper/metal that arnt trying to avoid me.
At the point im getting better i can start incorporating a swing/rotating target.

Just a new challenging hobby as im happy with my pistol scores now. The down side to pistol training, its only done at a range with a paper target. Atleast with a rifle i can take it out on a property and do my own thing

First off I have the Howa in S/S Varmint with heavy Barrel. I bought the rifle with out the stock and put a military style on my self.
Second it is quite accurate. And please don't take offense as none is intended...but  500yd shots are nice but a kill shot for most game past 200mt is not really a good thing. The .308 in the right hands is lethal out to 500-800yds...so sensibly we kill inside of 200mt for the sake of the animal we are hunting. If our shot is not a kill at over 200mt we could loose the wounded animal.

If You want too still shot 500mt then buy a .338 lap or a .300 win mag and the scope to see that distance will be expensive.

For me a .22, .308 and 12g would be enough to bag just about anything. Again the Howa is great and the Savage is also a great gun. 

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 06:40:35 am »

Got a 7 mm rem mag for the longer shots!
130gn spbt screaming along!
So many guns and only one set of hands? Lol.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 08:04:17 am »

I've always had a soft spot for the 303 SLME and there are a lot around. Anyone got thoughts on that for my large(ish) long(ish) range gun?
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 03:27:31 pm »

Errr, not a bloody smle Rob for god sakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a 22-250 and it will plz you.
50 gns for blitzing and fmj 60 gn for anti what ever you want.
Getting tagged with a 250 or 7mm rem in any bodily part is life altering for most species.
Oh and they are not too hungry on powder.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »

Yeah we've talked about 22-250 before, I'll research that again.

Tri-Polar

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 02:56:47 pm »

Time to revive this thread as my permit to acquire finally comes in next week and i can order a rifle.

For the .22 I'm looking at 2 different models, but unsure which to get. Information isnt too crash on cleavers site.

Savage MKII 22LR F (MKIIFXP) or Savage MKII 22LR FV varmint (MKIIFVXP). With my lack of knowledge, I thought i might ask here.
I'm looking at these as they both come with mounted scoops already.

Next to be ordered will be a pair of .22 hand guns (one for the missus and I). The reasoning behind that is because ammo is cheap and we can use them out our range. Sure we can get larger ones, but since we go to the range once a week, id rather not get something larger yet. I'm yet to look deeply into these as id would love them to be very light. My club is pushing us towards "target shooting specific" guns, but i have a different agenda to owning this as we can tell.

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 04:23:44 pm »

Time to revive this thread as my permit to acquire finally comes in next week and i can order a rifle.

For the .22 I'm looking at 2 different models, but unsure which to get. Information isnt too crash on cleavers site.

Savage MKII 22LR F (MKIIFXP) or Savage MKII 22LR FV varmint (MKIIFVXP). With my lack of knowledge, I thought i might ask here.

Next to be ordered will be a pair of .22 hand guns (one for the missus and I). The reasoning behind that is because ammo is cheap and we can use them out our range. Sure we can get larger ones, but since we go to the range once a week, id rather not get something larger yet. I'm yet to look deeply into these as id would love them to be very light. My club is pushing us towards "target shooting specific" guns, but i have a different agenda to owning this as we can tell.

As you know I have owned my Savage MK11 FVSR 16.5'' barrel for a few years.

Pro's, it's a tack driver, a laser beam with CCI even cheaper bulk ammo it is incredibly accurate. The MK11 FVSR comes with a medium heavy barrel ready for a can or the likes, it is also shorter and I like shorter barrels. It comes with a big tacticool bolt that standard models don't have. FVSR comes with a picatinny rail, standard models don't.

Con's, the stock ain't going to win awards but does do the job, I fitted a cheek riser to the stock as the stock drops down to far for me to get a good line with the scope, but fixed with a cheek riser. The magazine is the old style, I use the factory 5 shot and aftermarket 10 shot, never has failed, yet to have any ammo fail or not eject.

For the money I would hands down by the FVSR MK11 as compared to a standard one. Their new models are for sale as well, and they have a new stock and now use a Ruger style rotary mag. But have not seen the new FVSr for sale as yet. If you can buy a MK11 FVSR I am sure it will probably shot better then what most people can shot, its that good! Plenty of Youtube videos showing how well it shoots. My money is on the FVSR, although the Ruger Americans are probably as good, although somewhat higher in cost.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:32:57 pm by Gippsland-Prepper »
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:50 pm »

Here is a video to their new line and has a link to NIO Aussie importer, if I was to buy a new rimfire 22LR I would get the new one due to the better stock and magazine, but you have to email the importer to see if they have the one with the shorter heavy barrel. Not sure how well it shoots, but going by their MK11 I doubt it is worse.

G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 05:13:11 pm »

Next to be ordered will be a pair of .22 hand guns (one for the missus and I).
Have a look at the Ruger SR22. 22 semi-autos are not renowned for their reliability but according to my research the SR22, the Ruger Mk1/2/3/4 and the Browning Buckmark are all considered to be very reliable. I got the SR22 mostly because I wanted a smaller gun and the other two are more for target shooting and are quite large.

That said I have large(ish) hands and find the grip to be great, as does everyone else I've let fire it from teenage girls to big bear blokes.

My club is pushing us towards "target shooting specific" guns, but i have a different agenda to owning this as we can tell.
He he, yes me too.

Tri-Polar

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2017, 06:03:03 pm »

As you know I have owned my Savage MK11 FVSR 16.5'' barrel for a few years.

Pro's, it's a tack driver, a laser beam with CCI even cheaper bulk ammo it is incredibly accurate. The MK11 FVSR comes with a medium heavy barrel ready for a can or the likes, it is also shorter and I like shorter barrels. It comes with a big tacticool bolt that standard models don't have. FVSR comes with a picatinny rail, standard models don't.

Con's, the stock ain't going to win awards but does do the job, I fitted a cheek riser to the stock as the stock drops down to far for me to get a good line with the scope, but fixed with a cheek riser. The magazine is the old style, I use the factory 5 shot and aftermarket 10 shot, never has failed, yet to have any ammo fail or not eject.

For the money I would hands down by the FVSR MK11 as compared to a standard one. Their new models are for sale as well, and they have a new stock and now use a Ruger style rotary mag. But have not seen the new FVSr for sale as yet. If you can buy a MK11 FVSR I am sure it will probably shot better then what most people can shot, its that good! Plenty of Youtube videos showing how well it shoots. My money is on the FVSR, although the Ruger Americans are probably as good, although somewhat higher in cost.

I did see that one. However a con I saw is that you cant use it without a scope. Which means I would also have to purchase rings and scope at the same time. Its only $40 cheaper then the 2 I mentioned.

Tri-Polar

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06:21 pm »

Next to be ordered will be a pair of .22 hand guns (one for the missus and I).
Have a look at the Ruger SR22. 22 semi-autos are not renowned for their reliability but according to my research the SR22, the Ruger Mk1/2/3/4 and the Browning Buckmark are all considered to be very reliable. I got the SR22 mostly because I wanted a smaller gun and the other two are more for target shooting and are quite large.

That said I have large(ish) hands and find the grip to be great, as does everyone else I've let fire it from teenage girls to big bear blokes.

My club is pushing us towards "target shooting specific" guns, but i have a different agenda to owning this as we can tell.
He he, yes me too.

For some odd reason i cant quote 2 people in the one post.

I have noticed that, that .22 handguns are not as reliable unless target ones.
I had considered the Walther P22 or P22Q, but i have just had a quick glimpse into this side of the fence. As a 1911 fan, I looked at the GSG 1911 standard, but a couple of reviews turned me away due to the cheap build and the constant jamming.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 06:45:32 pm »

Smith and wesson 422 alloy frame or 622 stainless are flat framed sweet little 22 semi-autos with 6 inch barrels! 10 shoot mags @ $75 each.
Had one for 25 years and is super reliable/super accurate and just clean it with brake clean pressure pack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Top Posters This Week