Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Time for a revolt
by Paddler
[Today at 07:13:32 am]
Re: The peace preached by the Koran
by hailesellasie
[June 23, 2017, 10:32:41 pm]
by Arkane
[June 23, 2017, 09:08:28 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:24:16 pm]
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:07:14 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 44135
  • *Total Topics: 4163
  • *Online Today: 63
  • *Most Online: 406
(February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 58
  • *Total: 58
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: VPN when online?  (Read 402 times)

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
VPN when online?
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »

With Big Brother and his Corporate buddies wanting to track everything you do on line these days do you use a VPN? This is a new thing for me.
Bad enough that Fakebook sells everything that people are silly enough to put up but after Youtube tells you it is collecting a list of the videos you watch? That is enough.
I always go to Gizmos Freeware when l am looking for free legal software and their picks were Cyberghost &
Security Kiss Tunnel for VPNs.

Cyberghost says my PC is in Los Angeles right now which I find a bit strange  :-\

Are there any other recommendations for online Op Sec software?

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Semper paratus.
Re: VPN when online?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:21:55 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

With Big Brother and his Corporate buddies wanting to track everything you do on line these days do you use a VPN? This is a new thing for me.
Bad enough that Fakebook sells everything that people are silly enough to put up but after Youtube tells you it is collecting a list of the videos you watch? That is enough.
I always go to Gizmos Freeware when l am looking for free legal software and their picks were Cyberghost &
Security Kiss Tunnel for VPNs.

Cyberghost says my PC is in Los Angeles right now which I find a bit strange  :-\

Are there any other recommendations for online Op Sec software?

I have been using a paid for VPN for years, yeah there are some free things out there, but its free for a reason. I generally don't worry about big brother looking at me as I don't have a thing that would remotely interest them as in viewing history, but my IP address does go via a custom built server that bounces my IP address around the globe. But for those that are worried, use TOR, its for free and even the best US/Russian employed hacker won't find you if you browse the net that way but it will slow things down somewhat. VPN's tend to be mainly used for business use or when you are downloading things like shared files from the likes of pirate bay, and seeing that lots of countries are now adding certain web address to a ban list like pirate bay and others, it does pay to play it safe if you download torrents as plenty of people have been busted in the US and taken to court. Now for being on here or posting comments on Youtube or that shitty website Facebook, you have to be pretty dumb to put stuff out on the net that is deemed as breaking the law, so does the average Joe Blow or you and I need a VPN for surfing the net? Nah not really, if you are going to go on the net somewhere you really should not be going to then TOR will hide you, but for any torrent downloading I strongly advise those that don't have a VPN to get one, as it is only a matter of time and laws will follow the way of the US, you will get busted for downloading torrents.
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

Tri-Polar

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:43:47 am »

You could use TOR.
Its free, based of firefox and is fairly secure. It was originally designed by the military to use. Now its used for all sorts of everything from safely searching pages, sharing information/files and to the down right illegal and disgusting stuff. However most of this you will be very unlikely to stumble upon.
In the years ive used it, it has become increasingly more easy for those who are less tech savvy, so to speak.
Install it, open it, use it. Job done.

I honestly wish i signed up to this forum and continued to use it within TOR. Then i could have offered alot more stuff which i would never publicly post for fear of being tracked down by law enforcement. These days i just use it to go to naughty sites, obtain movies/music and evade the ISP website block list.

It wouldnt be so bad, but forums are designed to log and keep a record of all IP address attached (sign up/logged in with) to a user name. This even happens down to guests aswell.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:08 am »

I have getflix but half the time it does not work properly and that pisses me off as I pay for it! >:(
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 10:55:13 pm »

All very helpful. 

Thanks 8)

BleedingGumsCityFool

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »

Don't use tor from your home connection.

And don't open any videos/youtube links or images while using Tor. They are infected from the exit node, which is usually a police monitoring node.

Tor is overkill for this.

Just go to privateinternetaccess.com and buy an account and pay for a yearly subscription ($39.95 per year, usually $84/year.), then setup the software on your pc.

If you are smart/technically minded enough you can also setup a server and run pfsense on a copy of windows 10 pro within a virtual machine using Hyper-V and get a 2 port ethernet card (I recommend Intel(R) Gigabit ET Dual Port Server Adapter) then assign the two Intel Gigabit ethernet cards to the Hyper-V virtual machine. Then plug one of the ports into your switch and the other port that goes to your modem.

Then go into the pfsense web interface and setup PIA according to the instructions for pfsense. This part is tricky and there are a few things that aren't covered in the howto. It will take you a long time to figure out how to set up your configuration file properly. At some point in the future I'll re-edit this post and add my copy of my configuration file. That one works.

Walla. The easiest way to get an always-on always-up net connection to PIA. And yes they have local australian servers.

If you are serious about avoiding the dragnet then I would look towards getting an account with ipredator.se
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:26:09 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.

Top Posters This Week