Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 45053
  • *Total Topics: 4217
  • *Online Today: 78
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 53
  • *Total: 53
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Solar Farms  (Read 342 times)

Gympiegoat

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
Solar Farms
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:03 pm »

Almost forgot to post this but you may have seen it on the news two days ago. Private company intends to build largest Solar Panel Farm in Australia 30 km on other side of town. Starting with 350 MW & going to 800 MW in four years with battery backup.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

3 million panels when finished. They already have the land at Lower Wonga beside regional substation & corridor to power pylons.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: Solar Farms
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:37 pm »

And how will taking 350mwatt out of the local environment effect the local climate?

Gympiegoat

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:48:24 pm »

Not at all. Australia's output of CO2 is negligible on the world scene. We only have a pop. of 24 million, China has over 100 cities with over 1 million pop.,  almost no manufacturing industry & that solar array fully developed would only supply 1/3 of Qld's electricity & the panels will most likely be made in Germany or China. Some of the steel supports or aluminium frames might come from Australia but again small spuds in world sense when you think that China used more concrete in 3 years than the USA in 100. That is the sort of manufacturing & consumption that does have an effect on the world.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:07:24 pm »

Not at all. Australia's output of CO2 is negligible on the world scene. We only have a pop. of 24 million, China has over 100 cities with over 1 million pop.,  almost no manufacturing industry & that solar array fully developed would only supply 1/3 of Qld's electricity & the panels will most likely be made in Germany or China. Some of the steel supports or aluminium frames might come from Australia but again small spuds in world sense when you think that China used more concrete in 3 years than the USA in 100. That is the sort of manufacturing & consumption that does have an effect on the world.

You failed to comprehend the question so I will ask it again!

And how will taking 350mwatt out of the local environment effect the local climate?

moving that amount of energy must have consequences!

I typed it slowly so please read slowly, you can even sound it out if it will help your comprehension!

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:35:56 pm »

Probably little unless you sit on the lines! ;)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:26 pm »

Probably little unless you sit on the lines! ;)

Think about it, every day there is a cool spot there!
On a small scale of 5kw per acre nothing really happens but on a very large scale it must make a difference!
The difference might not matter much but I doubt any here actually considered the consequences at all!
Anyone here even thought about consequences of large scale solar power on the weather before??

350megawatt is about 3km2 area of panels

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:21 am »

It will create a super hot spot arkane as the panels absorb a lot of solar radiation and heat.
In all honesty I would not want to be standing in the middle of it on a hot summers day.
Could well alter rain patterns for the area as well.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 08:24:29 am »

I'm not a physicist but had thought about that in the past & did not think much of it as the two small solar arrays I've seen in paddocks all have grass under them & service lanes between them so plenty of air flow. There is no great MASS to absorb the day's heat or bitumen roads as in a city, or brick walls to absorb heat & create a heat sink. I image the frames could get hot but they would be in the shade under the panels with ample shade. I have no idea how much heat or suns rays panels reflect so I just Googled an article on it for myself & others who are interested. You come up with good questions.

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 10:59:01 am »

Warning: Uninformed comment ahead  8)

That amount of shade will create a different micro climate underneath the the panels.
Defenitley cooler at ground level - Less direct light, more shade & shelter.
That would make the lizards happy.

There will be a certain amount of light & heat reflected back into the sky too.
Would it be enough to create thermal updrafts?
That would make the eagles happy.

The shading of the ground & the heating of the air might balance out too.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 03:12:39 pm »

The shading of the ground & the heating of the air might balance out too.

Back to the start ay   Extracting ENERGY from the environment to use elsewhere is the point!
Not using energy from ones OWN roof and using it under that roof as in small scale stuff!
But collecting energy in one location and using it at a far off location!

Cities change there climate with there power consumption now same as the thermal power stations that make that energy do also,
The mass collection and relocation of that energy will surely endanger the life cycle of some endangered animal
and must be stopped at all costs! ;D

Top Posters This Week