Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Time for a revolt
by Paddler
[Today at 07:13:32 am]
Re: The peace preached by the Koran
by hailesellasie
[June 23, 2017, 10:32:41 pm]
by Arkane
[June 23, 2017, 09:08:28 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:24:16 pm]
by sea-dove
[June 23, 2017, 08:07:14 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 44135
  • *Total Topics: 4163
  • *Online Today: 63
  • *Most Online: 406
(February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 57
  • *Total: 57
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Hiking/camping/bug out? bag build. Build in progress.  (Read 1280 times)

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Semper paratus.
Re: Hiking/camping/bug out? bag build. Build in progress.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To risky to tow a trailer, it's like a target on your back :(

Not where I live and bugout. When SHTF I will go bush in my 4x4x so towing a trailer is not a problem at all. I go camping a fair bit as a pre bugout run and this way I can take everything I need, I also carry my kayak on top. I do have a BOB backpack that is always in the back of my Cherokee, but when SHTF I need my trailer, bit hard to carry all my gear on my back. I left Melbourne 3 years ago and moved to the bush, I would agree trying to leave town with anything for that matter, but not where I live now. Would I have to be careful leaving my place when I go bush when SHTF? Yeah sure but I rather do it in a 4x4 then on foot, and best of luck trying to find me seeing I am down an off road track about 40k's from the highway, nearest town is about 70's away.

I honestly think being a prepper that we all would know the signs when to go and bug out, 99% of the population will be in shock for them to even think about leaving the main cities and I will be gone before the masses will do anything about it, roads will be blocked by then and lack of fuel will keep them 450k's away in Melbourne, and 500k's away towards Sydney's end.

How are you going to go bush? UNless you live on the doorstep of it you will or might have the same problem with sheeples, I at least will run them over with my bullbarred Cherokee, and trailer wheels will finish them off hehe
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 09:55:46 pm »

A good vehicle is always a great investment, one high enough to clear a lot of crap if you need to go rugged roads ;)

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 10:09:56 pm »

A good vehicle is always a great investment, one high enough to clear a lot of crap if you need to go rugged roads ;)

My Cherokee has a lift of 4.5'' and runs 32'' and towing a dedicated trailer for bugging out works just fine, when SHTF and I get out of Dodge I go in my Cherokee, trailer follows me and the Cherokee. Unless the bush/country roads are blocked with 1000's of zombies I can't see me getting where I need to bug out.

I think bugging out for most on here means using a vehicle of some sort to get to or as near as possible to that bug out spot, I do the same, so towing a trailer makes more sense as I can carry way more then what some one can shove in a backpack, and best of luck to those that live in big cities and try and walk out. Hence I left Melbourne 3 years ago and now live on the doorstep of my bugout area.

I spent lots of hours in a Humvee whilst being in the land of the camel, and sure your a target then, no doubt about it, but not when your a prepper living in the country towing a trailer behind a camo'd Cherokee and know to leave my house in the country when the sigs are there to do so. BUt I am sure some think there BOB is enough for them to get by on, and I am sure you can, but when SHTF I am not coming back as I think the world will take way to long for it to get back to some normality and have made the choice to make my trip to my bug out area when SHTF to be a 1 way trip, hence the trailer to carry all my preps.
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 05:08:02 am »

I was tossing up the trailer idea but opted instead for a Darchi tent built to my ranger which has the 5" lift kit, Micky Tom tyres and rims, air lock diffs etc.  I was to concerned about having to ditch the trailer in the event of SHTF relocation and extreme bad weather during that time.  If ground is to soft and wet having a trailer is a bit risky and could slow you down big time.   ;)

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 10:09:46 am »

I was tossing up the trailer idea but opted instead for a Darchi tent built to my ranger which has the 5" lift kit, Micky Tom tyres and rims, air lock diffs etc.  I was to concerned about having to ditch the trailer in the event of SHTF relocation and extreme bad weather during that time.  If ground is to soft and wet having a trailer is a bit risky and could slow you down big time.   ;)

I keep several canvas tents in my trailer and have a 3mx3m mozzie canopy mounted on the side now, hate sitting outside at night and being eaten alive. My bug out spot is 40k's away from a made road, from there on it is a bush dirt track that even in the winter is still OK to go on with my Cherokee and trailer, but forget it in a Comondoor with wife and 4 kids, 40k's down that dirt track I turn off in to the bush and have several spots where I would park my 4x4 and trailer and not move when SHTF, I have been bogged ones but unhooked the trailer winched my 4x4 out then winched the trailer out, besides my preps I have got all the gear to get me out of mud if it happens.

Both trailer and 4x4 have solar on top and have plenty of solar power to run a small fridge/freezer, comes in handy when I go fishing there or when I go hunting, and yeah having lights at night is great as well, and a few other powered gadgets.
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:41 am »

Wow so much reading I am glad I live in my BOL!
Just a few stashes around neighboring properties in unused areas.
Have to agree Red I use small bolt cutters for wire etc as pliers are a pain after a while.
Aldi has a lot of basic analgesia cheap and works well.
Best to stock up on sanitary napkins as field dressing as they are clean and cheap now.
Anything type of combine dressing is crazy expensive and from my experience the napkin with the adhesive holds onto bandages etc better and stays where it is put! What about batteries, chargers, etc etc etc.
So much to consider and why i suggested some hidden stores.
Lifestraw in there?
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51:06 am »

Ah, cheers for the info. Might hit them up when i have a whinge about my neck again.
Sure, share a picture or contents. All info can be used and archived.

So, i weighed everything bar the first aid kit, since that still needs some work.

For the following:
100 x Multivitamins = 75g
100 x Sugar tablets = 70g
Pain killers (dont have a count, but there is 6 different types, including the temp ones im on now) = 100g
Sunscreen = 200g
Deep heat/dencurub/tiger balm = 200g
Rash cream = 100g
Antiseptic = 112g
Cold + flu = 100g
Vapour rub = 53g
4x Quick clot = 100g
Antihistamines = 100g
Sanitizer = 50g
Hydrolyte satchels = 120g
Antibiotics = 200g?

Side note: This doesnt include any medical gear as yet. The weights also may change drastically once official packaging is stripped down.

Total weight so far: 2506g

Our complete first aid bag and all contents + medications and creams comes in at 5.44kg...  a bit heavy but I put a well supplied firs aid kit as a top priority.  The one we went for is a bit expensive as is the outback paramedic kit but well worth the trouble as it's fully loaded with great items  ;)

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 11:44:52 am »

The one we went for is a bit expensive as is the outback paramedic kit but well worth the trouble as it's fully loaded with great items  ;)

Got a link? I'm looking for a good FAK now.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:48 am »

The one we went for is a bit expensive as is the outback paramedic kit but well worth the trouble as it's fully loaded with great items  ;)

Got a link? I'm looking for a good FAK now.

Here is the link, the only difference is our bag is black as I didn't wanna stand out in red  ;)  They also come in blue

Tri-Polar

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 03:37:05 pm »

I have a feeling the closest ALDI store is 9hour drive away, so cant shop there.
Batteries/chargers and lifestraws are already in my list, just net under first aid.
I'm slowly working through my list,  ill get there in the end.

Little update again.

First aid kit = 3500g (subject to change)
Multitool - Leatherman wave = 241g
Lighting - Main: Fenix UC35 = 99g. Headlamp: Fenix HL26R = 86g. Glow sticks = 100g. Flares = 78g.

This brings the total to: 6610g

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2017, 09:44:23 pm »

Ah, cheers for the info. Might hit them up when i have a whinge about my neck again.
Sure, share a picture or contents. All info can be used and archived.

So, i weighed everything bar the first aid kit, since that still needs some work.

For the following:
100 x Multivitamins = 75g
100 x Sugar tablets = 70g
Pain killers (dont have a count, but there is 6 different types, including the temp ones im on now) = 100g
Sunscreen = 200g
Deep heat/dencurub/tiger balm = 200g
Rash cream = 100g
Antiseptic = 112g
Cold + flu = 100g
Vapour rub = 53g
4x Quick clot = 100g
Antihistamines = 100g
Sanitizer = 50g
Hydrolyte satchels = 120g
Antibiotics = 200g?

Side note: This doesnt include any medical gear as yet. The weights also may change drastically once official packaging is stripped down.

Total weight so far: 2506g

Our complete first aid bag and all contents + medications and creams comes in at 5.44kg...  a bit heavy but I put a well supplied firs aid kit as a top priority.  The one we went for is a bit expensive as is the outback paramedic kit but well worth the trouble as it's fully loaded with great items  ;)

You forgot the potassium iodide and cloth face masks for when N.Korea nuke us..... 
I have cloth face masks but still to get full gas mask and potassium iodide.
We live in interesting times!!

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 10:10:53 pm »

The CBRN mask and filters and iodine tablets are in the other bags way to heavy to put in the first aid bag  ;)

Tri-Polar

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 01:31:23 pm »

Another bit of an update. Nothing too major, but nearing the completion of my kit.
Solar panel - Ravpower 15w = 680g
20ah powerbank - custom = 580g
5V to 12V cable = 50g
Additional cells (if I want to carry a few extras) = 45g each
Collapsible 10L water bag = 150g
Drink bottle - Life straw go = 168g
Water purification tablets - Aquatabs = 48g
Straw type filtration - Sayer mini = 56g
Arc lighter = 85g
Fire steel = 53g
Cotton covered in vaso = 50g
Clothing doesn't need a weight as ill be wearing it. Still undecided on mask.
Duct tape = 52g
Silicon tape = 48g
Handheld ham radio = 380g
Hand held 2-way = 350g
AM/FM radio = 200g

Total weight: 9560grams

Stuff still to work out:
Bag, knife, food, tablet, compass, whistle, mirror, shovel, saw, hammer, cooking utensils, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and possibly a tent.

Tri-Polar

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 06:54:50 pm »

My first bit of the kit came today. Nothing exciting. Just a Bushnell 16x52 monocular. Weight: 259g. Cost: $13.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2017, 05:46:57 am »

Any good?
Might get a couple for the kids bags.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Top Posters This Week