Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1808
  • *Latest: mtnba2k

• *Total Posts: 45360
  • *Total Topics: 4238
  • *Online Today: 53
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 35
  • *Total: 35
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: On foot with one gun.  (Read 3353 times)

Dingodestiny

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
Re: On foot with one gun.
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2017, 05:57:56 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In a scenario where one is evacuating their usual location (the scenario in original question) ... presumably they are doing so because they are coming under intense pressure from their fellow bipeds.
So, while I dearly love my Anschutz .22 it would be my second choice ... I'd take my Sako .308 instead.  Rabbits, fish and birds are obtainable without resorting to rifles.  I am still fit enough (just) to run down a sheep. I'd be walking up north into the central deserts where I have plenty of prior on-ground experience.  So ... What I want to be carrying is a tool that is suitable for dealing with obstacles/surprises along the way and be efficient at putting down big meat.  Nice and dry up in the central deserts so can turn big meat into much jerky and only have to find and shoot a beast just a few times a year. 

Under any other circumstances not involving threat from my own species ... I'd take the .22
Hey mate where were you in the desert and what were you up to? No offence to ANYONE bit I think people advocating a 22 have probably never lived in the bush. Like out of a swag.

Tanami Desert to North Flinders Ranges and many places in between from 94 to 04. (extra info on my introduce yourself slot)
Spent so much time in a swag I now hate the damn things.
The Tanami stint was on an Aboriginal community doing 'land management' ... what a learning experience THAT was.  Those guys live by the rule that the best gun for the job is the one you have (whatever it is). Failing that, for small game, a wheel brace can get the job done. Don't be too harsh on the .22 enthusiasts ... I reckon a .22 has the merit of being extremely discreet.

Not at all trying to contradict anyone here as I don't pretend to have much experience with hunting or war, but wouldn't a .223 Rem be a better compromise between a .22lr and a .308?, head shots on small game to preserve most of the meat on its body without blowing it's whole body apart, and neck/head shots on smaller species of deer to not risk unpredictable body shots which could result in the animal running off and being lost before it can be recovered because of poor shot placement? Plus professional roo shooters choose it (but spotlighting on light blinded Roos mainly?)so I would think it would be just right for wallaby, wombat, emu weight animals?

Dingodestiny

« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2017, 06:12:02 am »

Also, I know this would be cheating as this question is kind of suggesting two guns but, what do you all think of this extremely light 'take-down' single shot .22lr? Is it legal here in Australia? It weighs just under half a kilo, so if you had a larger caliber gun for bigger more dangerous game and this for small game then in total you'd have one slightly heavier gun, but with the effective versatility of 2?

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2017, 06:19:46 am »

As one should not be alone
Have a buddy with another gun!

that makes two!

Dingodestiny

« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2017, 06:26:55 am »

Morning DD

What you want is pretty much available off the shelf. There are heaps of rifles that will do 1"x100 - some even guarantee it. For a start go for stainless with a synthetic stock. I run Kimber Montana's which I truly love (in 223, 7mm-08, 280 Ackley) and the 223 and 7mm-08 will easily better 3/4"for 5 shots off the bench. Stock standard - totally untouched except for adjusting the trigger. The 280 Ackley I am still working up loads for but already it has beaten 1" x 5 shots and there is still more improvement to come as I fine tune the loads. My 375H&H Kimber Talkeetna will beat 1" for 3 shots - also stock standard. I only shoot 3 shot groups with the 375 for 2 reasons - it kicks the snot outta me off the bench and the Grizzly I shoot with it will never know anyway! Everything else I shoot 5 shot groups. Kimbers are expensive - but beautifully balanced and SOOOOOO light!! The more birthdays you have the more you appreciate light weight and balanced rifles.

I have Sakos and a few Rem 7's and 700's that are also well inside your line in the sand but some have been bedded.

If you are on a budget have a look at the Howa Mini in 223 and the 1500 in the 308 class. I don't own one but a few mates who have bring them up to my place/range in the mountains to test loads and they will all meet your criteria.

My son loves Weatherby Ultralights - we do our own work downstairs in my machine shop and he has built some cracking rifles. Set a record in Melbourne using a 22 Dasher he built himself on a Rem Mod 7 that still stands I think.

Don't get yourself bamboozled by the many opinions - use the KISS principle. Decide what you want THEN go shop around. I don't know Melbourne at all but any decent gunshop down there will sell you a rifle and they will also have someone they farm out any machine/bedding/trigger work that needs doing to.

Oh, a 22 you mentioned too. A CZ 452 will probably shoot .5" at 50 all day long straight from the box but having a wooden stock there is always a chance it will be average (1") until properly bedded. I run old Brno Mod 1's but if I was buying a new 22 today I'd probably go for a stainless synthetic Ruger.

Hope this helps - feel free to send me a personal message if you like.

Thanks for your advice, I'm still researching all your suggestions, the kimber's and howa's seem amazing, particularly the kimber rifles, their not cheap but a factory rifle which is then bedded etc wouldn't be cheap in the end either, plus the CZ's are beautiful too
And wow! you've taken Grizzly!
Are you aware if silencers/cans/suppressor's are legal in VIC or anywhere else in Australia?

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2017, 06:37:54 am »

Are you aware if silencers/cans/suppressor's are legal in VIC or anywhere else in Australia?
Yes they are legal, at least in NSW, but the chances of getting a permit are two fifths of five eights of f*ck all.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Dingodestiny

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2017, 06:38:17 am »

As one should not be alone
Have a buddy with another gun!

that makes two!

Yes then you share other weight, skills and sleep in shifts :) but then again to rely on others in such circumstances you'd have to be closer than blood

Dingodestiny

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2017, 06:49:56 am »

Yes they are legal, at least in NSW, but the chances of getting a permit are two fifths of five eights of f*ck all.

So not a snow balls chance in hell of getting one
That's strange as I would have thought the authorities would prefer all the native animals weren't being disrupted and scared off by thunderclaps, while at the same time, more effectively culling the pest animals they want reduced because after you drop one the others just stand still looking perplexed as to why their herd member just laid down so suddenly so then your more likely to cull more of them?

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2017, 07:04:11 am »

...I would have thought the authorities would prefer all the native animals weren't being disrupted and scared off by thunderclaps, while at the same time, more effectively culling the pest animals they want reduced because after you drop one the others just stand still looking perplexed as to why their herd member just laid down so suddenly so then your more likely to cull more of them?

I reckon that's the only way you would get one, but not in the bush, they don't give a shit if you bag 1 pig or 10. Maybe as a ranger dispatching roos in downtown you would have a chance, but then I think that's exactly what they were doing in Canberra and they (the rangers) got into trouble.

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2017, 07:05:03 am »

That's strange as I would have thought the authorities would prefer all the native animals weren't being disrupted and scared off by thunderclaps, while at the same time, more effectively culling the pest animals they want reduced because after you drop one the others just stand still looking perplexed as to why their herd member just laid down so suddenly so then your more likely to cull more of them?

Google .22 silencer.  Many people say they are ridiculously easy to improvise.  To the point it makes the laws against them seem foolish.  I hear tell that even the act of googling to acquire knowledge may be an offence.

Also ... like Arkane says ... be part of a group and try and have some diversity of armaments.
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

Dingodestiny

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2017, 07:58:05 am »

Google .22 silencer.  Many people say they are ridiculously easy to improvise.  To the point it makes the laws against them seem foolish.  I hear tell that even the act of googling to acquire knowledge may be an offence.

Also ... like Arkane says ... be part of a group and try and have some diversity of armaments.

How would someone go about getting into a crew like that btw?

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2017, 08:37:38 am »

Also, I know this would be cheating as this question is kind of suggesting two guns but, what do you all think of this extremely light 'take-down' single shot .22lr? Is it legal here in Australia? It weighs just under half a kilo, so if you had a larger caliber gun for bigger more dangerous game and this for small game then in total you'd have one slightly heavier gun, but with the effective versatility of 2?

Saw this on some Alaskan survival show, 20g and .22LR combo rifle, covers most of the bases.  A quick google search.
We live in interesting times!!

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2017, 08:50:03 am »

Saw this on some Alaskan survival show, 20g and .22LR combo rifle, covers most of the bases.  A quick google search.

I see they have a 22/410 combo as well, that would suit me better as I already shoot both.

Did you see the price of a Chiappa 1887 lever shotty? $2,399 for a blue version, yikes! And I have two of them in chrome and stainless.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:53:36 am by graynomad »

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2017, 10:27:23 am »

By making friends instead of enemies!

Dingodestiny

« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2017, 12:51:43 pm »

By making friends instead of enemies!

Yes that's always a good start   :)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2017, 09:27:40 am »

A sushi bamboo roller, wrap duct tape and a small amount of time and brains will give you a suitable "muzzle brake" for a 22 rimfire. ;) ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Top Posters This Week