Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: my 3 survival guns
by Lt Marauder
[May 23, 2017, 10:52:37 pm]
Re: Imminent financial collapse
by OzHippy
[May 23, 2017, 10:20:27 pm]
Re: Imminent financial collapse
by Scout
[May 23, 2017, 08:30:24 pm]
Re: The beast you may become
by Gippsland-Prepper
[May 23, 2017, 07:24:00 pm]
Re: The beast you may become
by doomsdayprepper4570
[May 23, 2017, 07:08:26 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 43221
  • *Total Topics: 4102
  • *Online Today: 46
  • *Most Online: 406
(February 20, 2016, 05:05:09 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 40
  • *Total: 40
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Generator woes  (Read 179 times)

Arrow

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Generator woes
« on: May 14, 2017, 02:59:09 pm »

A couple of years ago  I bought my first generator. A Genpower GSX14000D. Lately I have been noticing that power output is dropping. It used to run my compressor without a problem but now its flat out running my little mig welder at half power. The compressor wont even turn over on it. Has anyone got any ideas on what I could replace to get the output back up again.
 Would it be the AVR, capicitors or something else. Please dont waste your time and mine telling me that its a cheap Chinese piece of shit. I already know that and am committed to fixing it. Thanks in advance :-)
When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: Generator woes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 03:02:15 pm »

Without having it tested is a bit hard to know exactly but from what you explained it sounds like you need to get the stator out and have it rewinded, they are the main reason power output drops...  my 2 cents

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »

I have a China made piece of cheap, not crap as it has been going for years and won it bidding for peanuts on Evilbay. Sorry can't help you with your problem, but if it was me I would Google the funk out of it, most times things like this are on the net.
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

Arkane

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »

If you are getting 240v out of it still, put a test load like a plain heating element about 1-2kw as in electric jug!
and check the voltage under that load. If the voltage drops off but the genny is still running at the set revs it is an alternator problem! if the revs drop on that small load look to the engine itself like plugs points regulator choke sludge in carby! how long since the motor was serviced? if the model number is the wattage 14000 or 14kw then 1-2kw should not make it labour!
If it is the alternator and it has brush/comm gear it is likely to be the comm slots gunked up! A hacksaw blade run between each slot on the comm to clean it out can usually be done without any major disassembly and check how much brush is left and the spring tension!

ps large graphite brush's can be sanded down to fit smaller sets so long as the copper leads can fit ok!
Use old brush as a template, just add 10-20% length on the bearing curve and try to replicate the curve!

ozspark

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 05:01:51 pm »

Is it an inverter type or a general winding type? If its through an inverter I haven't got much to help you.
But if its a capacitor regulated type, get a voltmeter and measure the voltage under no load and then under progressively greater loads. It should start at close to 240V or 415v for 3 phase. Should stay pretty close to this as its loaded up. If it doesn't, disconnect the capacitors inside the junction box on the side of the alternator housing and using the capacitance setting on a suitable multimeter, check the capacitance. if they're out by more than 10%, look online and replace them.
The capacitor ageing and changing problem is a an issue I see regularly in mass produced lighting towers I work on. Checking a few things yourself first might save you a lot of $$

Arrow

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 05:17:07 pm »

I believe that its a general winding type. it is listed as 8.4kva but 6kva constant. Single phase
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:19:17 pm by Arrow »
When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw

doomsdayprepper4570

• Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:27 am »

If it has brushes then they will be crumbling from age and heat!
Also the windings on the armature will be low grade material and likely causing problems.
The other thing that happens to the smaller chinese geny's is the brush holders melt from heat caused by loads.
From new it is best to run a low wattage fan blowing into the geny head while using it!
Also a good quality friction mod oil such as CEM antiwear is needed in the motors as they wear like a bitch in the bores. You need a dunlite geny head!
The repairs may far outweigh the value of the unit.
You can also try getting a tin of electrical cleaner spray by crc and spraying inside the geny head as you may have a build up of contamination from wear and tear/ dust fluff etc.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arrow

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:11:19 am »

Thats great. Thanks for all the help. You have given me a few directions to start looking. If none of the above work I will be back for another round.  8)

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:13:44 am »

Good luck! ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arrow

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:30 am »

OK, so I have been monitoring the output of the afore mentioned bastard generator and have found it to be reducing its voltage and Hz. At 1750w output it's down to 47 hz and 210v. I will replace the caps, blow the windings out, spray them with contact cleaner and check the brushes. I will also give new filters and oil if it decides to behave its self.

Arkane

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK, so I have been monitoring the output of the afore mentioned bastard generator and have found it to be reducing its voltage and Hz. At 1750w output it's down to 47 hz and 210v. I will replace the caps, blow the windings out, spray them with contact cleaner and check the brushes. I will also give new filters and oil if it decides to behave its self.

At 47hz the engine is running 6% slow, so probably the drive motor! plugs points and AIR FILTER might be the go!
If its sat a while check for rust obstructing the exhaust!
Just my 2 cents worth!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 07:39:06 am »

I have a diesel kubota with the same woes.
Guna get my mates old man to run a testis over it for full diagnosis!
Increasing the revs on the motor solved the cycle and voltage output issues, but is not the cure.
It just highlights that there are other issues!
The voltage should only drop to 230 volts at slower revs.
Got a good buy the other day.
Ex ses geny honda motor and dunlite geny head 4.5 kva with quality plugs for $450 and it has done no work as it is a two person lift! Was super happy. A bit small for a farm welder etc , but as a backup is great.
Oh is in a frame with wheels as well as a 20 liter long range fuel tank!

Top Posters This Week