Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: How did you prepare today?
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:56:07 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:41:48 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:37:11 am]
by sea-dove
[Today at 01:13:56 am]
Re: Cannibalism after SHTF.
by sea-dove
[November 20, 2017, 11:35:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1831
  • *Latest: Dr Doom

• *Total Posts: 46267
  • *Total Topics: 4276
  • *Online Today: 47
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 35
  • *Total: 35
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: How will you deal with it?  (Read 421 times)

Tri-Polar

How will you deal with it?
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:12 am »

I had a little thought yesterday, about something that I havnt seen talked about and really something that you don't know what you would do until it happens.
Now this is just my opinion on the topic above, but I felt I might need to explain why I think no one knows how you will react/cope with an event.
When I was working security, I could fit everybody into 2 categories by asking "What would you do in an event of a fire, some one attempting to attack you or someone attempting to attack another person?".

1. You would get the chest puffed out answers of "I would raise an alarm, make sure I evacuated everyone and be the last person out guaranteed. If someone attempt to attack me I would knock them flat on the arse and the same if someone was trying to hurt someone else".
2. Then you would get the general response from other (this is where I fall in) of "Raise the alarm, then seek assistance from other staff in the area. As for the attempted attacks, it depends on the situation, since there are many scenarios it would be hard to get a simple answer".

I've always preferred and chose to work with the 2nd category of people. However my opinion on the matter is only limited to my previous work place and limited scenarios. This is why I thought I might being up this conversation with others to find out there opinions and how they think they may handle a situation and cope with it.

This finally leads me to why I wanted to start this topic (about time right?).

Since no matter what scenario we plan for, the common factor is, its all going to shit and we are going to either end up by ourselves or with family or friends.
How do you think you are going to cope with the world going to shit?
In reality, its going to effect us differently and at some stage I think we are all going to get hit hard in the feelings at some stage.
If you are planning to go out alone, how would you combat these feelings/shock/depression/etc?
If you are going in a group (just your close family and/or friends), I can see it being abit more of an advance as you can talk to some, get moral support.
Lets say its been a year since its gone to hell and you havnt seen another survivor yet until today. Basing on what we (unfortunately) see and know about the majority, people are greedy and will only think for themselves. How would you know that person is good or bad? How would you deal with the situation?

I myself would have to rely on my partner and my dog to be able to get through the hard times (as long as their still with me). If I was to do it alone I honestly don't think I could do it, if I could, I wouldn't be a very happy person. But I will never know for sure until it happens.
I don't think I could tell if someone has good or bad intentions if/when I would come into contact with someone. People can be very deceiving. I would be stuck to decide as I would like to help a genuine person, but I don't want to make the mistake of denying help if I feel they are bad, but are genuinely good. It would be a very hard decision for me to make and I would likely regret which ever decision I make. We would have to just wait and see if/when it happens to see what I would really do.

This whole post probably wont make much sense, as I'm no good at talking about these thoughts of things, but I think it would be a good topic to touch on and expand on.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: How will you deal with it?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:43:45 am »

Wrong question there!
First up people are not good or bad!
When it is survival in a hostile environment they will always do what is good for them! but that maybe bad for you!
The entire concept of good and bad will need to be reviewed! and reviewing it now will save time and mistakes later!

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:45:10 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wrong question there!
When it is survival in a hostile environment they will always do what is good for them! but that maybe bad for you!
The entire concept of good and bad will need to be reviewed! and reviewing it now will save time and mistakes later!
LOL I was about to respond in a similar way....   well said Arkane  ;)

Tri-Polar

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:05:02 am »

I don't believe everyone will only do what is good for them. That would mean everyone only thinks of themselves and no one will help one another.
Perhaps I need to explain the "good and bad" better?
Good: Someone that is genuine, that might help you or offer to help you. Someone that will happily do a honest deal with you.
Bad: Someone that would put a bullet in the back of your head and take everything.

Ideally I would love to think there would be some "good" people during these situations. I for one would also love to think that I, if put in the situation, that I could help people, rather then killing every bastard I see because they are all going to do that to me..

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:05 am »

I think in a situation where everyone is hungry, tired, constantly on the move, possibly has already experienced some bad outcomes by dealing with others in a bad way you expect that those people will be more careful how and when they deal with people in the future.  In saying this you will expect that once someone has enough of being treated bad a few times or even possibly loosing a family member as a result they will not be so open or nice to you hence you have to question why they are nice to you in the first place.

I guess if you loose confidence in the world after something bad has happened you loose all hope and start being a closed person...  Survival of the fittest as they say ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:38:22 am by odzy »

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:42:52 am »

Ideally I would love to think there would be some "good" people during these situations. I for one would also love to think that I, if put in the situation, that I could help people, rather then killing every bastard I see because they are all going to do that to me..
In a bad SHTF event this type of approach can get you killed very easily.  I sure hope non of this will come true as I DO have hopes that good in people will come out somehow but I am very cautious when someone comes to me out of the blue and starts to ask me about the weather etc ;)

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:25:47 am »

Wrong question there!

I disagree Arkane. Some people out there will put others before their own lives, there are people out there who do this every day in their lives and others of us who have had experiences to know we will do this.  I cant see why the personality of these people will greatly change to the point they stop trying to help others.

eg I was at party when I much younger. Much drinking was going on at this party and two of the guys (both people I didnt at all know) got into a bad arguement. One of them in his drunken state went and got a gun out of his boot  (shot gun I think it was if Im remembering correctly) and he was going shoot the other guy. My immediate reaction was to step right in front of the other guy and tell him he'd have to shoot throu me first.  This caused him to lower the gun and stopped him shooting the other (I cant remember what happened at this point, i guess the other guys then disarmed him).

Another time I went to the rescue of someone who stupidly decided a serious flooding river was okay to go swimming in.  Others had managed to get a dingy out to her but they werent managing to pull her up into it and that river was very dangerous as it had big logs and things coming down the river running into things (it was a flood which happened only once every over 10 years.. in the river murray).  I went in and managed to get to where she was and she used my body to get herself up on the dingy with the help of the others.

I dismissed them trying to get me up onto the dingy as I knew if they couldnt pul her up onboard, well they wouldnt have been able to get me up, so I let go and let myself be washed down a raging river which I figured was far less dangerous going along with the current then being where she'd been holding on tighting in the water of something not moving much when everything else is moving. It took me about 2-3kms of being swept downstream before I was able to make the bank and get out. (I just used my lifesaving training to treat the ranging river as if it was a rip I was trying to get out of).

So I know there must others like myself who do at times put complete strangers before our own lives and why would we necessarily change in SHTF, we still would try to save another if we believe its possible.   The funny thing about me though is if my own life is threatened when Im not trying to save anothers (which then actually causes me to nearly loose all fear), if its only about me being attacked, I actually then in those situations can freeze and cant move at all eg someone grabs me from behind, I  can freeze and cant fight or try to run. and if someone tries to rape me in this situation I just try to disociate my body with my mind (while I make my body very heavy which makes it hard for them to do exactly what they want as far as what is in between their legs go).

My responses if Im attacked are quite unpredictable and Ive reacted in various different ways  (Ive had several try to rape me). Once I froze didnt fight the rapist at all, one I fought back  (if I can invoke some anger I can try to then murder my attacker!  Ive had to be pulled off of someone who attacked me), and once another time I was in danger I just did an extremely weird response when someone tried to scare me with a car late one night by driving up right behind me and following me with their car off the road.

Instead of going faster or trying to flee... I actually purposely walked slower in a how dare you try to scare me! run over me if you must but Im not going to run or respond to your car almost hitting me except walk slower... response, a fuck you! response at a possible abductor/s.

Ive not a clue why a stranger did that to me but my response must of bored then as a minute or two later they just turned their car and got it back onto the road and drove off.   They probably thought my response was nuts as what female would usually do that in the middle of a pitch black night on a dark country road where there isnt even houses. (I'd gone for a walk out of the town a couple of kms that night as Id been very upset about something, so when a car did that, I really didnt feel like I gave a shit if they ran me over).

Being in a group in a bad situation isnt necessarily better then being alone, it really would depend on the group of people. If it is people who panic easily, panic spends... same if many in the group were like giving up, that would have a negative affect on the whole group.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:49:27 am by sea-dove »

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:12:28 am »

I don't believe everyone will only do what is good for them. That would mean everyone only thinks of themselves and no one will help one another.
Perhaps I need to explain the "good and bad" better?
Good: Someone that is genuine, that might help you or offer to help you. Someone that will happily do a honest deal with you.
Bad: Someone that would put a bullet in the back of your head and take everything.

Well most of those "good" people will be dead in the first week! those not dead will have changed!

And being good or bad is not a fixed thing by any means! one may be "good" or "bad" at different times!

No they are not "all going to kill you" but it takes only one to kill you to seriously ruin your day!
So caution will be the norm!

Top Posters This Week