Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 41
  • *Total: 41
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Hi from AussieWrath  (Read 1256 times)

AussieWrath

• Hunter / Port Stephens / Maitland /LakeMac Regions
Hi from AussieWrath
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:01:59 pm »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to prepping and survival in general. I've done a bit of camping and growing up on 25 acre farm. I grew up with my dad saying I will show you how to do it safe. You do it safe. You can do it as long as your sensible. I ran around as a kid with knifes, tomahawks, axes, swords, starting magnifying glass fires before even hitting teens etc. I found an old fiberglass bow dad had picked up in the shed and made my own arrows with my Swiss army knife.

My dad wasn't and isn't a  true prepper. His 25 acre farm 10 minutes from a beach has now days, fruit, cows, chooks and about 100 guinea pigs (long story) but he would make me sneak around him while he worked in the office at home without detection, or take me to the sand dunes and make me hide and evade like I had the Japanese or Chinese after me. Cover tracks and make as little as possible etc. I was brought up with a love for Asian cultures as my dad was an Australian karate champion in the 70's but he also believed in this day and age it would more likely be the Chinese wanting more space etc and taking over. Take the south China sea for example and Chinese grabbing of land in Australia now including cattle farms.

I was always go lucky and never worried about anyone else. I haven't cared about politics despite my dad being a mayor and councilor. But recent events have got my attention. I'm no idiot and have heard it all before dooms day wise. But Trump has gotten my attention.

With Trump in power and hearing him say he believed he was the one true god when he was younger in a pre-presidential campaign and watching his personality now (which suggests he hasn't changed just he hides it better( a megalomaniac with narcissistic personality disorder )). With Australia's nuclear deal with US that they protect us in exchange for not making them and when they say jump jump we say how high. I'm worried for my family.

I have not been one to worry about politics but as soon as I heard trump was running my ears pricked. As he looked like getting in I said this will be bad news. Now in 6 months we look like we are closer to a war than when Russia had a bunch of nukes off the coast of America. The Atomic Scientists of the world (comprising of people such as Steven hawking) believe the since trump was in we are at 2 mins to midnight the closest in 60 years to a catastrophic event.

I spoke with a Vietnam Vet said that no one ever expected war not in ww1 or ww2, Korean war, Vietnam etc. He thought Vietnam war would never happen then he was forced to fight in it.

My wife resists me and says I am talking crap.  I barely carry on about it. I go to work etc. I just say I would like to learn bush tucker and how to survive in the mountains in the long run as a family just in case. Not necessarily as a family even if I just have the knowledge how to so I can make it happen for us if it came down to it.

I'm starting to get a basic survival kit and going from there. The basics for if you know bush tucker and shelter so you can survive long term and getting escape plans ready.

I'm joining this community to find like minded people who can teach me how and maybe even take me on a mock survival run in my area for preparedness one day if not too late.

Hopefully we never need it in this lucky country but you never know.

Thanks AussieWrath
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:20:48 pm by AussieWrath »
Hunter Valley / Lake Macquarie / Port Stephens / Barrington Regions.

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Semper paratus.
Re: Hi from AussieWrath
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:05:58 pm »

Welcome AW, where are you located?
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

AussieWrath

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:18:52 pm »

Also here is my star up list I put together tonight.

I have started a few basic things for a bug out bag coming in mail over next week or 2 which consist of 12 in 1 para-cord survival pouch with everything from first aid to fishing gear for $12 and a magnesium flint fire starter for like $3 plus emergency blankets (the silver ones for like $1 each). Solar charger for phone so I can hopefully use GPS and cached maps on the go or at least Cached  maps of my planed escape location for my family.)

I've been on YouTube trying to learn how to do it all from the land with no tools. I love watching the couple videos "Walking Softly With Koa"who now is unfortunately dead in his 60's.

I would loe to put it in to practice but with kids and a wife who barely lets me out of the house all I can do is learn what I can and use my growing up on a farm and camping to make it through if something happens.

This list is because I can barely focus on a day let alone a massive list.This gives me a basic list to focus on and do lists from that to grow on it. I put it together tonight.

The list is a snippet of my keep list I made and is ATTACHED. I'm going to make a Mindly map over the coming weeks with ideas and elaborations.

AussieWrath

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In the Hunter Region. You? EDIT: Lmao never mind worked it out.

Gippsland-Prepper

• Symbolic moderator.
  • Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Semper paratus.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:23:29 pm »

In the Hunter Region. You?

As per name, far east Gippsland Victoria. But it makes it some what easier for others on here if they know where you are located.
G- F-CK Y--RS-LF

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY A VOWEL? BAA BAA!

AussieWrath

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 11:38:32 pm »

Since I beleive it could be anywhere from weeks to years before anything could happen. If someone could give me the BEST link to break down a printable copy of "Eastern Australia" / "Central Coast" Bush tucker that as max info for minimum print.

I plan to re-watch Walking Softly with Koa series and take my own notes because it took everything from natural to introduced plants and even making sandles. And then put everything in waterproof bags.

AussieWrath

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:02:25 am »

In the Hunter Region. You?

As per name, far east Gippsland Victoria. But it makes it some what easier for others on here if they know where you are located.

Yeh sorry mate. Updated my signature to general locations I'm looking at surviving.

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 08:17:56 am »

Hi, How Im familiarizing myself with the native bush plants by growing them in my garden (then one can experiment with the cooking of them too as many require certain preparation to be able to safely eat). Its a long project for me and of cause also makes sure I could stay in rather then bug out.  But at least if I have to move I will be very familiar and able to spot bush foods as my garden will be full of them.

Its hard to go out with a bush food book and find them  (ive tried that a couple of times), when you just arent familiar with the plants in the book and the last thing you want to do in an emergency is end up experimenting then and poisoning yourself and your family by the bushfoods (many of them have eatable parts and toxic parts).

Make sure you also get yourself hold of what you need to take in a nuclear disaster to help stop getting radiation poisoning.  I too believe we may be close to a war and things like that generally do catch people by surprise. No one likes to believe that a disaster may be right around the corner.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:21:40 am by sea-dove »

AussieWrath

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:30:06 am »

Hi sea-dove. I'm thinking of spending a fay or 2 with my dads mate. He has learnt how the Aboriginal's survived and now lets people stay with him and he teaches them in exchange for helping around the farm.

I've got a few I recognose already but would be better being shown by someone who knows it.

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 06:42:26 am »

Hi sea-dove. I'm thinking of spending a fay or 2 with my dads mate. He has learnt how the Aboriginal's survived and now lets people stay with him and he teaches them in exchange for helping around the farm.

I've got a few I recognose already but would be better being shown by someone who knows it.

Be aware that we may not be able to survive like the aboriginals can on certain of their foods as their bodies have adapted to some of these.  I had a teacher who used to go out bush for a couple of weeks every once in a while and eat bushfoods to enable her body to stay adapted to their diet.

A couple of Australian explorers (Burke and Wills) died from trying to cross a part of Australia with thinking they could supplement their diet well with nardoo.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   has an interesting account on this.

Some say they died cause they didnt eat it with fish like the aboriginals often did, while others say they died as the werent using enough water when they cooked it.

AussieWrath

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 08:45:28 am »

That's interesting about bourke and wills.

AussieWrath

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 09:51:12 pm »

Be aware that we may not be able to survive like the aboriginals can on certain of their foods as their bodies have adapted to some of these.  I had a teacher who used to go out bush for a couple of weeks every once in a while and eat bushfoods to enable her body to stay adapted to their diet.

A couple of Australian explorers (Burke and Wills) died from trying to cross a part of Australia with thinking they could supplement their diet well with nardoo.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   has an interesting account on this.

Some say they died cause they didnt eat it with fish like the aboriginals often did, while others say they died as the werent using enough water when they cooked it.

Isorry I haven't been around much guys. Busy with new job etc. I'm getting better at identifying plants lately. I have found a few apps like pl@ntnet etc have been helping point me in the right direction to figuring out most plants.

Excited to go right out bush about 2 1/2 hours to stay at  house in the bush for my mother's birthday for 2 nights. Hoping to get a chance to break away and go bush with my kids while the mothers chat. Hoping to work on some rough shelter building skills then to.

Been working on fire making. Never been a problem since I love playing with fire. But looking at stsrtijg when damp and using flint etc.

At a point now where I have identified 50% of the 20 types of trees at the house I rent in the suburbs. Am also starting look at the often overlooked weeds which are a huge surprise.

I am hooked on looking at medicinal uses of plants as well now. My dad who takes ood thinners was eating heaps of Garlic, Tumeric, and ginger. When I pointed out they were all blood thinners he started taking medicinal uses more seriously I think. He knew they had benefits but never thinks about down hazards with his condition.

I loclve the fact that I can now stand around at work and spot 5 or more plants and their uses / edibility. Dying for the Gymea Lilly to flower at work so I can try the sweet nectar it makes (flower is poisonous).

LONG STORY SHORT:
Loving learning to survive.

Nomad

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 03:56:05 pm »

Hi, I'm learning bushtucker too. The main thing I've learnt is that the bushtucker available changes dramatically over a very short distance. The edibles you learn for one area may be totally different to the edibles where you plan to bug out/survive. I'm also learning about cultivating native edibles to reduce dependency on irrigation and selectively breeding the plants to produce higher yields.
We don't own the earth, we belong to her.

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
MariaRoark1 1
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1