Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 38
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 23
  • *Total: 25

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: ABC News article  (Read 714 times)

DeanO

ABC News article
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:44:07 pm »

This has a bit of news, I thought it was interesting that the Arctic seed bank is failing. It makes you wonder.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

crazycatlady

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
    • Juniper Cottage - living simply
Re: ABC News article
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »

yep, saw this - apparently it flooded but they said no seeds were affected.  Yes, we all want to believe that.  Any preps should have multiple backups.  Lesson learned.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:24:58 pm »

Who knows by the time the ice melts the place will be growing all sort of crops inside lol

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:27:48 pm »

So frozen seeds will remain viable?
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

BleedingGumsCityFool

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:34:31 pm »

I wouldn't worry about this much at all.

As the article says there are dozens of seed vaults worldwide. Svalbard is just one. So there is backups.

This abc news article is mostly just a sci-fi doomsday fap fest for the common public to engorge their worry gland over while they contemplate their next car purchase which is going to rape the world of natural resources just one more time. Because this car that I just saw advertised on tv will be the last car that I ever buy. Honest. Because perpetual growth is good for the economy! Or so most people think.

And because perpetual growth is good for the economy we can never do anything about the extinction of wildlife. Because duh trickle down economy and the poor people in sub saharan africa need to one day be able to buy an iphone. So my purchase is JUSTIFIED. Or so most people think.

Excuses are plentiful in this world of perpetual greed. You can find an excuse to justify the purchase of ANYTHING these days. Or so most people think.

An asteroid impact won't occur within our lifetime and if it does it will hit Los Angeles, Ca because everyone deep down really hates Hollywood and a black man will be the first one to die. Everyone knows that.

Once the human race has stopped playing musical chairs the impact that humanity has had on the world will be tallied up.

Until that time we still have time left to prepare to either get out of the suburbs or hunker down.

So stay positive and put another can on the shelf.

Leave the pros to do the work of storing and cultivating seeds. We need to worry about transportation, defence, gardening/farming and communications.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:48:45 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:05:50 am »

I wouldn't worry about this much at all.

As the article says there are dozens of seed vaults worldwide. Svalbard is just one. So there is backups.

This abc news article is mostly just a sci-fi doomsday fap fest for the common public to engorge their worry gland over while they contemplate their next car purchase which is going to rape the world of natural resources just one more time. Because this car that I just saw advertised on tv will be the last car that I ever buy. Honest. Because perpetual growth is good for the economy! Or so most people think.

And because perpetual growth is good for the economy we can never do anything about the extinction of wildlife. Because duh trickle down economy and the poor people in sub saharan africa need to one day be able to buy an iphone. So my purchase is JUSTIFIED. Or so most people think.

Excuses are plentiful in this world of perpetual greed. You can find an excuse to justify the purchase of ANYTHING these days. Or so most people think.

An asteroid impact won't occur within our lifetime and if it does it will hit Los Angeles, Ca because everyone deep down really hates Hollywood and a black man will be the first one to die. Everyone knows that.

Once the human race has stopped playing musical chairs the impact that humanity has had on the world will be tallied up.

Until that time we still have time left to prepare to either get out of the suburbs or hunker down.

So stay positive and put another can on the shelf.

Leave the pros to do the work of storing and cultivating seeds. We need to worry about transportation, defence, gardening/farming and communications.

+1
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

DeanO

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:19:57 am »

"This abc news article is mostly just a sci-fi doomsday fap fest for the common public to engorge their worry gland over while they contemplate their next car purchase"

Agreed, standard media format.
It highlights the climate change that we are experiencing more than the reality of storing seed on the moon…..

One of my good friends spent the summer in Antarctica and the primary job was to move the Base as it is sitting on an ice shelf (Brunt ice shelf) that has the potential to break off. I believe there is another shelf (Larson B) that has the same condition.  So at both ends of the earth we are warming up. You look at things differently when you get news from a reliable source. The contents of those seed vaults would never benefit our generations anyway, we have to sort ourselves out in the short term.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 09:11:28 am »

One of my good friends spent the summer in Antarctica and the primary job was to move the Base as it is sitting on an ice shelf (Brunt ice shelf) that has the potential to break off. I believe there is another shelf (Larson B) that has the same condition.

Ice shelfs are in constant motion always melting in the summer! and chunks break off!
So it was moved so not to float out to sea !
Nothing I say again Nothing to do with warming!

So at both ends of the earth we are warming up.

Global Warming is actually the only conspiracy case I see as true! and seems to be the biggest one out there
other than the biggest one of all!
This is heresay not based on actual facts! and just a belief!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:14:15 am by Arkane »

hailesellasie

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »

Amen to that Arkane...If global warming was caused by humans, then are humans responsible for global warming on Mars and the other planets as well??
I think we should bottle these arseholes and sell them to the a-rabs... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 08:05:15 am »

Been in a cycle for millions of years already.
Super volcanoes, meteor strikes  etc etc.
Sometimes it is hot and sometimes it is cold.
We are lucky to be living in an inbetweener!
Or maybe on the end of a cooler cycle moving into the warmer stage.
Remember more than half of australia was under the ocean not that long ago.
Marine fossils in the desert of central australia.
Probably caused by some arsehole that should have been taxed to death? :o ;D ;D ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

OzHippy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 06:25:06 pm »

Inconvenient? Record Arctic Sea Ice Growth In September
We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »

Omg, does this mean global warming is bullshit and we are heading
into another iceage instead???????
Another cycle ;)

OzHippy

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 10:31:10 pm »

Omg, does this mean global warming is bullshit and we are heading
into another iceage instead? ??? ???
Another cycle ;)
We are in a solar minimum.  Things are very wacky with climate. Was just reading how Mississippi water levels are dropping and it is affecting barge transport. 
During the last mini ice age (dark ages) they would have very cold fidget winters and then short but very hot summers.  The earth is also getting tectonically active lots of volcanoes currently spewing.  That has also been documented to cool the earth as the sulphur and dust particles reflect sunlight.  And people are worried about a very small change in CO2 percentage!!!!

[/size][/color]U.S. soybean harvest is in full gear, and corn harvest is not far behind. However, water levels on the river system are becoming dangerously low, and in some cases, have temporarily stopped barges from moving.[/font]
[/size][/color]One would think that with heavy rains coming from both Harvey and Irma that flooded major cities and towns, the Mississippi River and its tributaries should have plenty of water. There's only one problem: Those historical rains never reached the major rivers to affect water levels.[/font]
[/size][/color]"During the last month, conditions unexpectedly turned dry through most of the U.S. The only location that experienced significant rain activity was the Deep South due to passing tropical storms," said Tom Russell of the Russell Marine Group.[/font]
[/size][/color][/font]
We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 07:28:53 am »

Yeah Oz, the volcanoes always amaze me with the amount of dust/sulphuric acid particles etc etc
that they eject into the atmosphere.
One volcano can stop the air traffic in europe for months!
Imagine 3-4 super volcanoes erupting at once.
It would be a game changer I am sure.
Mankind is always fixated with its own self importance.
Which in relation to the changes on the planet and timeline is nothing but a single heartbeat in
the lifetime of the earth!

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »

speaking of volcanoes and such putting gas and particulates into the atmosphere ... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  If you haven't seen this site yet its worth a look.  Click on the lined symbol near the word 'earth' to pull up a function menu.  Can use it to see what volcanoes are pumping using the SO2 function.  Bushfires can be tracked with CO and particulates functions.  Can even see where coal fired stations and sulfide mineral processors (eg Roxby Downs) are pumping out gasses. 
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

Top Posters This Week