Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 38
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 25
  • *Total: 27

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: The ever useful cordless Impact Wrench and Cordless Ratchet  (Read 447 times)

BleedingGumsCityFool

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved

Dewalt and Makita both make great cordless impact wrenches but I prefer Ryobi as you can get them really cheap and easily at bunnings:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The great thing about the Ryobi system is that the 18v ONE+ batteries haven't changed in design in 2 decades so getting spare batteries would be piss-easy post-apoc.

And yes you can get a cordless ratchet. perfect for those close jobs in the engine bay!

You should own one of these if you are a serious prepper even if all you do to your car is change the spare tyre (they make doing this a 3 minute job.)

Ever thought you werent fit enough to do tyre rotations!? Well not anymore!

They make doing major repair work on a car such as wheel bearings or ball joints or regular maintenance such as replacing brake pads and rotors as smooth as butter. As if you were superman.

Their usefulness on the side of the road for doing tyre replacements or roadside emergency suspension repairs is unlimited.  8)

They also make repairs such as alternator replacements or starter motor replacements or serpentine belt replacements a piece of piss too, provided you can get the wrench in there with an extension and universal joint or simply use a cordless ratchet!

I wouldn't go screwing around with petrol or electric powered air compressors anymore, the only good thing they are useful for is spray painting your car now that we have cordless impact wrenches.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:37:36 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: The ever useful cordless Impact Wrench and Cordless Ratchet
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:50:17 pm »

I have the BOSCH GDS CORDLESS HIGH TORQUE IMPACT WRENCH which is unreal, all metal gearbox and if you're not careful when using it will twist your arm

BleedingGumsCityFool

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 04:51:28 pm »

I have the BOSCH GDS CORDLESS HIGH TORQUE IMPACT WRENCH which is unreal, all metal gearbox and if you're not careful when using it will twist your arm

Very cool. Good to know that it has an all metal gearbox.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:24:36 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.

BleedingGumsCityFool

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 08:12:59 pm »

This thread seems to point out that Ryobi is the best, even better than Dewalt.

We used to tap 5mm metric threads with taps into duralimin by the thousands. At that time we had a few Dewalt and had no end of trouble with the metal gear boxes failing. Interestingly we had no issue with the Ryobi gear boxes failing. Cut a long story short, the Dewalt rep came around to see what we were doing to wreck the gearboxes. We showed him and he promptly said they are not designed for that type of work and they were not going to warrant the gear boxes any more. I said to him no worries, these drills are going back for a refund – which they did. I said the Ryobi gear boxes don't fail and he said the gear boxes are made from plastic and metal gears. I said I don't care if the Ryobi gearboxes are made from brown stuff beginning with s they don't fail. That is when we changed everything over to Ryobi and saved a fortune and made life so much easier with such a vast range of tools that were reasonably priced with the one battery. So I don't think that having metal gears is all that important.

After reading that thread I'm going to go with the Ryobi ONE+ system. At least then I can buy two Ryobi 1/2" impact wrenches instead of one and I'll have a spare then. I'm not going to buy two $350-$600+ impact wrenches even if they have an all metal gearbox.

Reasons:
#1:
The 1/2" Ryobi ONE+ impact wrench skin is $239.95:

#2:
If you go with Milwaukee you end up having a limited number of tools to choose from and in addition to this you will find it hard to find replacement batteries locally. You will be forced to import them and that could be an impossibility post apoc.

#3:
With Ryobi the batteries are everywhere that a Bunnings warehouse is located and they are very popular in the local domestic tradie industry, so finding spare skins and batteries and chargers will be easy to find.

#4:
In addition to this Ryobi makes a 12v charger for their ONE+ battery system. So you can run all of these Ryobi ONE+ compatible tools without having to need an inverter straight from your car battery or 12v solar system!

#5:
360Nm OF TORQUE!

#6:
You can get a cordless chainsaw on the ONE+ system:

#7:
Circular Saw, heaps useful.

Those points have made it a sale for me!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:46:17 pm by BleedingGumsCityFool »

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:31 pm »

Yep Ryobi are really good, I have a few of them in the Professional range with a quick charger and 2 batteries for the whole kit  8)

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 04:47:48 pm »

I have 18v Hitachi gear but when they went to the slide batteries l decided to get into the Ryobi One stuff.
l have got the halogen spot light, small radio, blower, middle size drill, 1/2' impact wrench and the weed wacker.
The weed wacker is great lawn trimmer - grab a battery & go instead of swearing at the brush cutter that won't start. If l was using them every day as a trade tool l would consider something a bit higher quality.  Festo or Panasonic would be lovely! But as far as bang for buck goes Ryobi One is top stuff. 

Just waiting for the Ryobi to do the handheld band saw like DeWalt and Milwaukee offer  ;D

Top Posters This Week