Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 45053
  • *Total Topics: 4217
  • *Online Today: 78
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 52
  • *Total: 53

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Archery DIY.  (Read 462 times)

DeanO

Archery DIY.
« on: July 05, 2017, 06:37:10 am »

I thought about "MacGyvering" a bow and string just out of what is lying around in  the shed. I have been Interested how a braided fishing line string would perform versus the real thing. (fastflyte,BCY, Dacron etc). As usual there are plenty of folk on the interweb with big long winded opinions about this. I am more interested in seeing for myself, this little bow took about 2 hours to shape and fiddle with. the string took about the same. It is too small for my draw length but hasn't blown up in my face yet  :)
 I have a "real" recurve bow and intend to make a string out of this 50lbs fishing braid from china as well.
If anyone is interested, i will let you know how i get on with it.

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
Re: Archery DIY.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:17:09 pm »

That looks quite well done. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

What's the bow made of?
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

DeanO

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:35 pm »

The bow is made from a 4 1/2 ft. length of schedule 40 PVC pipe, it has about triple the wall thickness of standard PVC pipe for the given size (3/4" ID).
There are loads of "how to’s" for PVC bows on the web, I didn't take it too seriously as I am more interested in the string performance. I am very surprised at the "grunt" such a little bow has though.  :)

Mirage

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 09:17:37 am »

That's a cracker piece of DIY.  Nicely done.

Have you deliberately failed a length of this pipe to see what happens? Does it kink, break or shatter? Some of the older weathered stuff I have at home tends to shatter with some fairly sharp pieces.

'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

DeanO

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:23:21 am »

Hi Mirage, thanks for the positive comments.
You have a very valid concern with respect to PVC pipe and how dramatically it can fail. The heavy schedule grey "industrial" style PVC pipe is UV stabilised and therefore should last a lot longer and retain its inherent flexibility far longer than  "Bunnings PVC pipe". That being said,I have worked around this stuff on and off for a couple of decades and I have seen it fail, split and shatter to the point where there could be a possibility of an injury.
I am going to make a string with the same method, and from the same material for my 70" Hoyt recurve bow, i will be far more confident in the safety factor of that.
I will put up another photo when i have tested it.

DeanO

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 12:17:59 pm »

If you needed to, it would be good enough. It seems to stretch a little, but I am sure that the string needs to be "shot in".
I am confident in the strength. A fun little DIY project.

Top Posters This Week