Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1808
  • *Latest: mtnba2k

• *Total Posts: 45360
  • *Total Topics: 4238
  • *Online Today: 53
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 33
  • *Total: 33
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SHTF time to bug out - sydney  (Read 856 times)

Pilliga-yowie

SHTF time to bug out - sydney
« on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:33 am »

Hi guys the scenario is shtf we have all stuck to our plan it's time to bug out of Sydney let's say we're looking to go west looking at the satellite maps and knowing there are up to 4 million people looking to leave how do you decide the best way to go? directly west takes you over the mountains hard going making the trip much longer there are a few roads but they will be packed with people or patrolled by authorities. north or south around the mountains would be an easier trip especially with kids. But I think most people will try to go that way. There are a few fire trails, power line trails, creeks and rivers that's could be followed over but a lot can go wrong deep in those mountains. I have an idea where I want to go I just want to see if you see something I don't.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: SHTF time to bug out - sydney
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:46 am »

Once  The SHHTF is way too late to leave Sydney unless you can fly!
A two seat ultralight is the price of a family car and can take-off and land most anywhere

Two adults and two kids in two ultralights,   400km range in 4 hours or so!

Cant carry much but you wont need much!

Pilliga-yowie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 03:44:27 am »

I was more thinking something happens fast if I see it coming I won't be anywhere near Sydney. But if there is a sudden situation just trying to cover my bases this is definately not ideal situation

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:35:21 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was more thinking something happens fast if I see it coming I won't be anywhere near Sydney. But if there is a sudden situation just trying to cover my bases this is definately not ideal situation

There is NO even reasonably safe/viable way out of Sydney once TSHHTF and that is why I left Sydney nearly thirty years ago, I cant imagine anything has improved since then!

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:46:24 am »

Unless it is a nuclear attack or invasion by foreign army most people wont bugout.  They simply don't have the skills, equipment. preparation or anyplace to go to.  The smaller towns etc cant accommodate even 100 people and the local IGA will be empty in 2 hours.  If you bugout and there is no fuel to get back one simply dies of starvation. 

Australia is very much an ageing population so most simply won't be able to bugout. 

There is always the ocean a simple inflatable with an outboard will get you out of harms way.   Or you can just hijack a yacht!! 

There is an established hiking trail between Sydney and Newcastle.  Bugging our in a large group or with many other people is not a bad thing as there is safety in number.  Everyone will have the same issues - I don;t see a huge security risk.  Most of the gangs and ferals will be too busy trying to loot the city despite the warnings, that one will not have to worry about them for a week or so. 

Cycling our the city will be easy or on motorbike.

Just this last season huge fires swept through large towns in Canada the authorites opened up the highway on both side for exit traffic, yes there were queues but they the all got out in time those that left in time.  Same thing in America in Florida for a storm evacuation.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:58:18 pm by OzHippy »
We live in interesting times!!

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:32:34 am »

Unless it is a nuclear attack or invasion by foreign army most people wont bugout.  They simply don't have the skills, equipment. preparation or anyplace to go to.  The smaller towns etc cant accommodate even 100 people and the local IGA will be empty in 2 hours.  If you bugout and there is no fuel to get back one simply dies of starvation. 

Australia is very much an ageing population so most simply won't be able to bugout. 

There is always the ocean a simple inflatable with an outboard will get you out of harms way.   Or you can just hijack a yacht!! 

There is an established hiking trail between Sydney and Newcastle.  Bugging our in a large group or with many other people is not a bad thing as there is safety in number.  Everyone will have the same issues - I don;t see a huge security risk.  Most of the gangs and ferals will be too busy trying to loot the city despite the warnings, that one will not have to worry about them for a week or so. 

Cycling our the city will be easy or on motorbike.

Just this last season huge fires swept through large towns in Canada the authorites opened up the highway on both side for exit traffic, yes there were queues but they the all got out in time those that left in time.  Same thing in America in Florida for a storm evacuation.

Sheeple are called sheeple for a reason! there is a very strong herd instinct, logic and reason will have no place in decision making! Once a few are seen, heard of or imagined to be getting the hell out all will be in a desperate hurry not to be left behind! and the "Flee" mentality is to be at the head of the herd putting as many as possible between oneself and the danger one is fleeing from!
Once the herd gets moving there is no stopping it, add the complete lack of communications while on the move it will just turn into a mindless flood.
With current access routes and supervision it would take in excess of 100 hours to get most out of the greater Sydney basin at best assuming the surrounding towns did not clog up!
Add the "Stupid" factor and it could well be two whole weeks for the lot to get out!
Too many choke points not to completely choke up!

OzHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 08:01:27 pm »

There is always the railway lines.   If the trains are working the gov could empty the city very quickly.  or you can use the rail service roads to exit the city.

You will be surprised many people who live in the city don't have cars it is not Hollywood, evacuation will be much quicker.  Australians are also very laid back and it is she'' be right mate and they will take their time to evacuate.  Cycolones that came through the Pilbara in Port Headland people were still shopping less than an hour before landfall despite having 3 days warning. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 08:07:09 pm by OzHippy »

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:57 pm »

There is always the railway lines.   If the trains are working the gov could empty the city very quickly.  or you can use the rail service roads to exit the city.

You will be surprised many people who live in the city don't have cars it is not Hollywood, evacuation will be much quicker.  Australians are also very laid back and it is she'' be right mate and they will take their time to evacuate.  Cycolones that came through the Pilbara in Port Headland people were still shopping less than an hour before landfall despite having 3 days warning.

Trains! you got to be freaking kidding no where enough carriages and even with all things running smooth it would be a four hour turn around time, then there is the fact that the tracks will get crowded, the train will slow/stop and more will get on one way or another! just one gets zapped on the roof and it all stops for a few hours!
I spent ten years trying to work out a feasible way of getting out in reasonable safety!
Even an abrams tank would not get one out in safety! How many vehicles can one tank crush on a single tank of fuel? not enough!
Only option is by air! helicopter, hot air balloon, jumbo jet, lear jet, Cessna, ultralight, powered hangglider Blimp! jet pack!
Of the lot the ultralight is about best followed by a Cessna!

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 01:24:09 am »

If the power is switched off no trains will be going anywhere, and if you think a diesel train is better then think of the stranded electric trains blocking the path of diesel trains, so no trains are not an option. A boat will be a better way out of Sydney to go up or down the coast to less populated areas then morn and make your way out west. Flying lessons and licensing is so expensive for most of us mortals

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 02:35:33 am »

Flying lessons and licensing is so expensive for most of us mortals

If you can drive a manuel car/ride a motorcycle then after reading a book or two most anyone with a proper brain can fly a ultralight!

After six hours reading and about an hour taxiing around a paddock I made a reasonable take-off a loop around the paddock and a bumpy landing. The new owner of the ultralight then did the same several times that day, he went on to get his licence, still has it I think!

If both of us could do it in just a day I am sure it cant be too hard to master!

OzHippy

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 02:43:14 am »

There are many examples of large cites that have been evacuated successfully.  The mantra that people will go crazy and just run over each other to get away and climb on the roof of the trains is silly, watching too many Hollywood movies.  Trains in conjunction with opening all highways in single direction out of the city will successfully evacuate the city very easily.  Yes ferries and other water craft as well as airports can be used to evacuate people.

If trains are down a quick exit is to simply drive along the train service road and most will not think to sue them to evacuate.

Most non preppers would take 2 to 5 hours to pack up their stuff and decide what they need, then will have to get fuel for the car etc...  Even if you are not prepared but have a list of things to get together and have enough fuel or can scavenge fuel from the lawnmower etc  or drain one cars fuel into the other, you can be out there and out of the city before any major imagined traffic issues.

Again history has also told us that a good majority of people choose not to evacuate and leave their houses even if it means death.  Look at any major disaster in the last 15 years you will see that significant proportions of the population even after having been given plenty of time refused to evacuate and had to later be forced to leave or stayed and got roasted.  Heard  mentality is you are safe in your house, and just bugging out where there are no resources is detrimental. 

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 04:37:59 am »

Humor me since I've never lived in or had much to do with capital cities:
Exactly what kind of event can cause a city like Sydney to require evacuation at short notice? This may have bearing on how one might choose to get out.

Invading army coming overland from the north and/or west?  Take your chances at sea.
Amphibious invasion? Head for the storm drains, pray it don't rain, get as far west as possible?
Meteor predicted to strike in 4 hours time? Unless you have an aerial route out ... consume emergency rum and hold hands with your loved ones.
Meteor in 24 hours time?  Try a bicycle. Or trust the Gov to manage the traffic so it keeps flowing.
Huge mega bushfire apocalypse? Take your chances at sea! 

Oz Hippy makes some good points regarding both history and Hollywood.
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 07:50:55 am »

I deal in numbers not Hollywood!
Way back in the mid 80's I did the numbers as per number of people, number of access/choke points and how many per hour could pass those access points without clogging!
I used commuter traffic as a reference point, I do not have the exact figures I used back then but the end result was 10-12 days to clear the city without any stuffups

A six lane highway is not much better than a two lane highway if there is no where to shuttle vehicles off those roads!
Back in the 80's there was 4-5million to evacuate via about 12 main routes

OzHippy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 11:26:05 pm »

Look at recent flooding in Texas no major traffic jams no chaos on the roads - just a few hundred idiots leaving late or going to the shops to get food and getting stranded in the flood waters having to be rescued.

I don't think getting out of a city is ever a problem. 
Check the many videos here, so guys going to get food after a day and loose their car..

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 11:35:50 pm »

Look at recent flooding in Texas no major traffic jams no chaos on the roads - just a few hundred idiots leaving late or going to the shops to get food and getting stranded in the flood waters having to be rescued.

I don't think getting out of a city is ever a problem. 
Check the many videos here, so guys going to get food after a day and loose their car..

Don't know what news you were watching but the news I saw had three lanes chock a block with slow moving traffic and then they said 60% decided to stay put!
How the fark is that getting out easy?

All you got to do is watch the daily commute in and out of the city then realise that is only about 2-5% of the population!
Pages: [1] 2

Top Posters This Week