Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 38
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 25
  • *Total: 27

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Diamond sharpeners  (Read 376 times)

Smurphy

• VIP Forum Supporter
Diamond sharpeners
« on: September 30, 2017, 05:24:10 pm »

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the card or paddle style diamond knife sharpeners? Thoughs good or bad? Always use a stone, but looking for something a bit more portable.
First rule of a gunfight. Bring a gun.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Diamond sharpeners
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 05:58:17 pm »

I have an assortment of plastic stick sharpeners I use on the initial shaping of trigger sears.
Was given a couple diamond impregnated "stones" and am undecided on their usefulness
long term.
To be honest I keep a klevasharp in each BOB as they are easy to use and quick without any
bullshit. You can finish the knife off with a norton wetstone or hard arkansas if that floats your boat.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Smurphy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »

Yeah, just any of those styles absolutely rape your edge and I'm looking to keep my knives for as long as possible.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:27 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, just any of those styles absolutely rape your edge and I'm looking to keep my knives for as long as possible.

I just use those tungsten sharpeners, really quick and easy, I have been sharpening a few kitchen knives that get used daily with these cheap sharpeners for 20 plus years now I have taken maybe 5mm off the blade in all that time and they are stil going strong!

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 01:47:53 am »

Bought one of the small rectangular ones from Bunnings (about $30) a few months ago and really like it.

You can get a very sharp edge in a matter of a minute or so (used to take me 10 minutes with a conventional stone).
Yes, it's "raping" your knife so you need to check progress frequently to avoid tearing too much off the edge.
Angle and motion critical too or your blade will get ground away very quickly with 'corrections'.

Still prefer it to the conventional stone though.
Can get a good edge quickly while your out bush, don't have to wait til your back in camp and have the time
to treat her gently.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:59:42 am »

Look it is like this!
If a blade is of good quality steel the klevasharps etc etc will not "rape" your blade as arkane stated.
Soft blades such as those in multi-tools etc will take wear over 5 years or so.
But the blade on my tanto is barely polished.
So if you have a shit knife with a soft razor sharp non lasting edge it will take damage!
We are not sharpening surgical scalpels here. Everyday use knives in really take a lot of hard work and abuse. :o ;)
To be fair yes I would not use such a sharpener on my good katana! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 01:23:03 pm »

My idea is to use an axe or heavy chopping machete and saw for any wood work,  Knives are only for cutting so a leather strop should keep them sharp.
This YouTube thing where people baton knives chop trees down with them etc.. to my mind it is sacrilegious. 

I have mostly oil stones, and they are very portable, and can be used on axe or machete, chisels. I have a Gerber knife that has a diamond sharping stone built into the sheath that is good for touching up.
We live in interesting times!!

Father

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 03:07:30 pm »

with diamond sharpeners, it depends on the Grit grade. Cheap ones tend to be a courser grade. Fine grades are expensive but leave the same edge finish as a grinding wheel. Rough. Use a stone to sharpen & a steel to straighten the edge.

I use a 400 grade stone for roughing & finish with a 1500 grade. I use a smooth blank steel to straighten the edge. I have a 4000 grade for finer finishes

two links for your consideration

Smurphy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:32:35 pm »

Agree with you ozhippy, always use a stone, don't hate my knives enough to run them through a couple of carbide balde. Just thought the diamond option would be lighter on the move. Although if I had a mob of knives, the clevasharp etc cannot be beaten. Just a bit savage for my liking. But probably not as savage on a blade once the angle is already established.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 07:55:28 am »

The other reason I keep a kleva in each bag is that the wife and boys can get a usable edge on a blade or axe without me doing it.
It aint perfect, but is does work.
All different tools have their time and place ;) ;D

Top Posters This Week