Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1816
  • *Latest: Tia

• *Total Posts: 45776
  • *Total Topics: 4259
  • *Online Today: 38
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 26
  • *Total: 28

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cannibalism after SHTF.  (Read 458 times)

some1afp

Cannibalism after SHTF.
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:27:53 am »

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've seen this topic come up here and there over the years on OzPrepper and thought I'd make a thread about it...

Does anyone honestly feel that Cannibalism in a SHTF or WROL situation will emerge?
If so, after how long would you assume such a thing would begin?
Do you think it would happen in great numbers?
Is this something the prepper community is worried about, or is it that some are prepared to participate in such an act?

Personally I would feel that there is a lot of food on land and in the sea in terms of protein (that isn't human). I don't see the ocean running out of fish any time soon and the same goes for land, especially after collapse and mass fishing operation shuts down very soon after the population of sea creatures will rise dramatically, people going out and catching fish on their own wouldn't even be scraping the surface of the kind of numbers trawling and commercial fishing was doing (a lot of that food ends up going to waste too, remember). A lot of people will die from dehydration, lack of food, medical conditions and other more nefarious things as well in such a situation so, that just leaves more available food and less people.
Cannibalizing can cause serious medical issues.
Also, humans cannot survive on meat alone either.

I would think if people are resorting to cannibalism in SHTF, it seems like SHTF was just a cover to justify their deep dark desires in the first place as it wouldn't be terribly hard to put the effort into going and catching actual food.
Even most animals, with all their animal instincts and drive to survive, do not participate in eating their own kind. Yes, some do and I'm sure you can name some - but most do not. Naming 20 species that do out of the 8.7 million species on Earth that exist seems silly to me.

An interesting video I watched about this by a prepper from the US named Mike Helton
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:25:47 am by some1afp »

grenadier

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Re: Cannibalism after SHTF.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:40:08 am »

Nebucadnezer lived on grass for a few years.
My missus is a nurse, so, hell no, I wouldn't eat people, they are toxic --  and many are full of shit.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:57:33 am »

It all depends on your ability to get protein. Yes I am also a nurse and there are a lot of dirty
contaminated bastards out there. But that being said, if it comes to that situation I would process any meat to feed my family!
If they are fat, healthy and tasty looking then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Burp, sorry what was I saying? :o ;D
All I can say is never say never.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:36:35 pm »

Humans can live on meat and fat, but if only eat a very lean meat like rabbit it becomes a problem.  One needs to eat the organs, brains etc..
In Australia, the pacific islands and New Zealand the previous inhabitants prior to western colonisation were all cannibalistic.  Would people eat other humans yes they would but only in very small numbers.  Most people you give them worms or some other delicacy despite starving to death they  simply refuse to eat.  Starvation goes through many stages after a while the body gets used to no calories and becomes lethargic and the hunger pains disappear.   

Many people are very fussy eaters - I have seen it more in Australia than most places so post SHTF population numbers will dramatically reduce. 

Onshore fishing might be ok for a while but will get fished out, inland will be interesting to see if the roo and rabbit population will keep up.  Road deaths is the biggest cause of native animal death.  Bush fires post SHTF is likely to destroy most of the forested areas.  No one controlling fires and many more people using the woods for food and camping and most of them are dumb as to fire safety. 

I am thinking a year supply of food to get through the worst of it. Rice, beans, and pasta is cheap and easy to get a year supply for long=term storage, as well as veg seed.

Welcome and get those preps going as the economy is teetering on the brink. 
We live in interesting times!!

grenadier

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 05:54:38 pm »

I could render down humans for oil for lamps, candles etc if they became pestiferous or road kill. Heh heh. I think it would be easier for my brain to get protein from canned beans. I could live on beans, pasta, and rice  or at a pinch, grain flour and edible oils.
Have been planting mexican corn for flour, sunflowers for oil, and various beans, all apart fro the usual vegetables and fruit. I have a couple of months of canned and dried tucker on hand, always, unlimited water and firewood, small solar for refrig and lights. have a couple of rifles and a small shotty for beasties and doing in joe blakes. No wuckin furries.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 08:04:46 pm »

You will eat the two legged snakes gren? :o ;D
I got enough beef to last 50 lifetimes, but who knows what will happen the way things are going.
Wife always asks me why we are so poor.
Of course we are not by world standards as we have a little cash, plenty food, water, good warm/cool shelter, transportation and owe no money at all.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 10:03:39 pm »

In a PA world most anything and everything will happen to a greater or lesser extent somewhere!
Cannibalism will happen when it becomes the easiest or only protein source available and people are starving!

Some will die before they will consider it and some will find it easy!
Cannibalism will mostly emerge first in big cities where there is little game to go around for the number of people.
In smaller cities and towns where access to game is easier and competition is less there should be far less instances of cannibalism, it will mostly depend on the available supplies in your local area!
There maybe a lot of cattle just twenty km away but without the resources to get there and then return with the meat they might as well be on another planet!

grenadier

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:12:34 am »

No, Doomie, I reckon I'd have to draw the line at cannibalism. If things got that crook I'd keep the last shot for myself.
Imagine a scenario where humans are hunting humans for food ---there is no coming back from that. Predators would be fair game for the simple reason of personal survival and for what was left of societal structure and values. There has to be a bottom line for ethics otherwise we are all in open warfare against each other.
I agree with Arkane in that there would be areas where it could become the norm. In regards to cattle,I always carry a pair of fencing pliers. I could walk 20 k's and walk a live beast or ten home. I call cattle. People used to laugh and say, 'you drive cattle, you don't call em.'   I still call them, and goats, and horses. But not sheep, they're just too damn thick.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 07:16:40 am »

And here I was guna trim a few edibles off my bucket list! :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:29 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And here I was guna trim a few edibles off my bucket list! :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah good idea to make a list of all the referrals in the neighbourhood and do a purge - we don't need these idiots post SHTF, ;D :o

On Friday night I binge watched the three movie series "Purge"  where one day a year you get to murder and do whatever you want for 12 hours no laws apply.  The language is a little rough in places and of coarse the violence but a good watch...  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

They movies are easy to find online for free watch.

We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »

Yeah have watched it a couple of times mate.
I could use a good purge here and that would save paper and trees by not needing to write down my bucket list, lol! :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 09:51:29 am »

The real question here is what do you do if and when you come across it?

How do you handle the situation?
Are those cannibals you come across cannibals from need to survive or just easy to survive, was it the only food or just the easiest food to get?

If you are going to judge them how would you?

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 11:55:03 am »

As long as they are eating some crud that has wronged it is all good! :o ;D ;D ;D

grenadier

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »

I'd be realistic about it. If there were cannibals anywhere around me I would have to use them for fertiliser and candles --- no need to be on someone else's menu or dinner table.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »

Lol, that as well!
Pages: [1] 2

Top Posters This Week