Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1845
  • *Latest: Rewild

• *Total Posts: 46688
  • *Total Topics: 4288
  • *Online Today: 43
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 30
  • *Total: 30
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why I think archery is an important skill  (Read 1375 times)

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
Re: Why I think archery is an important skill
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Arkane:
How come a cheaper new one?

Every secondhand firearm I have taken possession of has had issues but with decades of experience I diagnosed and corrected them quite easily, a novice like iyou may have problems even correctly recognising the problem let alone fixing it!
So a new rifle comes with a warrenty

For survival uses you need a bolt action with a removable ten round magazine and a spare magazine, a threaded muzzle is handy and a low power scope to suit somewhere in the two to six power range but not big or fancy, a sling and lots a ammo and you are set, you will have the capacity to control your circumstances then!
If you make every shot count you can go a long way on a brick or two of ammo!

grenadier

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 06:15:50 pm »

Have a rifle cleaning kit. Brush, Gunk Out, swabs, oil.

rwa

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:39 am »

Alexei, like the others said - get yourself a decent bolt action 22 first. Stick a good scope on it in solid mounts. Then buy a box of about 6 different types of hollowpoint  high velocity ammo plus a couple of different sub sonics. Then cart yourself off to a range to test them and stock up on the high vel and sub sonics it likes best.

As for archery. Unless you have made a decent attempt at it you have no idea how hard it is to become proficient at it. I have a mate I have hunted with for decades and who represented Aussie at one time. I have tried it and have a compound as well as a recurve, both set up for bowfishing (although I do have a few broadheads). Bowhunting in a survival situation unless you a really good is a poor choice - better than nothing but not by much. It is short range stuff only and what would be a easy meat for a 22 will see you go hungry if you are carrying a bow. They take constant practice to keep the particular muscle groups used "fit" for purpose. You can put a rifle in the safe for a year, pull it out and still be reasonably proficient. Stick your bow away for the same amount of time and you start all over again.

The exception - and the only reason I have bows - is bowfishing. Bowfishing in NSW where I live is legal but only where it is legal to spearfish. In other words, inland streams, estuaries, dams are a no no. There has been a trial of carp bowfishing that has closed and the results are being evaluated. I suppose if it all goes to hell in a handbasket the "rules" will be in same handbasket.

I fish a lot, saltwater mostly. When I fish tidal estuaries the number of times I see fish cruising the banks or holding beside a log or edge of a weed bed is A LOT! Easy meat for an arrow as mostly they are from 6 to 15 feet. In the coastal areas I fish I could supply a family of 4 with all the fish they could eat if I was using a bow - with a rod and reel not so easy as with a line the fish have to be biting, with a bow they just have to BE there! Pinning a fish at 8 feet is a hellava lot easier than pinning a rabbit at 25 yards.

Bowfishing gear supplements a normal hunting bow, either compound or recurve, so one can do both with the same outfit. Arrows are solid fibreglass, heavy and strong, and are usually unfletched (I have both and at 15ft I can tell the difference) as the distances are very short and the line trailing behind stabilises the arrow sufficiently. Points are robust if looked after and are cheap enough. Line is simply 80 pound braid, plenty for the "food" fish you'll be pinning. Add a decent reel to store the line on and pay it out without tangling when you shoot and you are set for a very long time.

Don't let me put you off - pursue the idea by all means. Just be aware it isn't as easy as it seems at first thought.

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 09:30:25 am »

A 100 F*CKING ROUNDS PER YEAR!

That has to be a joke.  >:(

I just got a new pump 22 and put a 100 through it just to see if I like it.

On the bright side I can't see Labor forming a majority Gov or even getting back in, but you never know.

Maybe someone can post up a link from a reliable source regarding the 100 round limit.  I had a quick search and can't find anything.  Here in SA we have ammo possession limits but no hard number attached. Our Act stipulates that one can have a 'years supply' and the onus is on the licence holder to demonstrate that the ammo they have would be reasonably sensible for their needs during the course of a year.  So ... a pro roo shooter can stock thousands of rounds, so could a regular club shooter. 

I don't really understand what that particular law is designed to prevent.  I think it's used as a 'bonus offence' when the plod ping someone for some other infraction.  Bit like getting done for unsecured ammo if they find a few .22 rounds in the ashtray of your ute: that then leads to an inspection of your storage at home and then they look at how much ammo you have and start laying extra charges if they can.  The plod always seem to want to create a package deal of offenses if possible.  Thus I am super diligent in not providing grounds to be charged with any offence.

They do it for traffic/vehicle offenses as well.  I assume they are under instruction to bring in revenue.
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:31 am »

In QLD there is no limit however if you have more than 10k rounds stored you suppose to have a warning sticker outside your letterbox  ::)  Like who the fark wants to advertise that you have ammo at your place  ::)
Mate who works at Cleaver's said you can purchase up to 100kg of gun powder per person per year  :P

Mirage

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2017, 03:38:46 pm »

How the hell do they come up with such stupid laws?  Shows about the same level of understanding as a Labrador trying to read a Tokyo subway timetable.  They should start drug testing policy makers along with the unemployed.
(No Country for Old Men)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:41 am »

Part of the wish list for the new qld government are.
1. No tree clearing
2. Cat A two rifles only, cat B 2 rifles only, no cat C, D or H.
3. 100 rounds of ammo for each caliber per year.
4. Suck eggs as you buggers voted them back in!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 07:30:26 am »

Part of the wish list for the new qld government are.
1. No tree clearing
2. Cat A two rifles only, cat B 2 rifles only, no cat C, D or H.
3. 100 rounds of ammo for each caliber per year.
4. Suck eggs as you buggers voted them back in!
I wonder what will happen to all the existing CAT H people if they get that wish Good Luck getting that approved

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 07:43:04 am »

I would imagine it will be a non licence renewal stealth job.
No compensation either.
Anyways a lot of pistol shooters vote labour so it is all good!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 10:58:26 am »

I would imagine it will be a non licence renewal stealth job.
No compensation either.
Anyways a lot of pistol shooters vote labour so it is all good!
Well good luck to them if they think I would give up my custom pistol Bwahahahaha  Will be having one I prepared earlier to give them instead :)

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 03:16:14 pm »

My adler shotgun 5 shot, licence reissue just came in the post today.  In NSW it has been classified at Cat B where previously it was Cat A.
I did get a letter in the mail a good while back informing me of the change in category.  Did not have to do any paper work - just a reissue.

Those with 10 shot mag are one category higher.
We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 07:35:17 am »

You all need to brace yourselves if you live in Qld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once the crazy bastards are done here then the other states will follow
their example. A reason I always advise people to have covert ammo and ghost guns as part of their preps. Just make sure they are well away from your house and well concealed.
No registration and hidden = little chance they can be taken from you. ;)

Mirage

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 04:23:36 pm »

The 100 rounds of ammo per year per gun thing must be bogus.  It can't even be implemented unless all states adopt it because running ammo across border from NSW will become common. 

What seems far more probable in the long run is a nice, fat, ammo tax.  Or ... um ... excise ... or Levy.  Or all three at once.  Or if you own a firearm you'll have to pay the medicare surcharge even if you'd otherwise qualify as exempt.  Anyway ... point being: why restrict something when you can revenue raise from it?  It'll be packaged up along the same lines as Alcohol and tobacco taxes and such like. And ... we'll have to take out compulsory public liability insurance for every firearm we own.  It's all very depressing really.
(No Country for Old Men)

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:07 pm »

There has been a mention of a permit to acquire system for ammo as well.
Better brace yourselves and it will not just be qld!

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 07:16:23 am »

There has been a mention of a permit to acquire system for ammo as well.
Better brace yourselves and it will not just be qld!

Faaaaark me.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Top Posters This Week