Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Media article on Prepping and Preppers
by Milspec
[Today at 07:50:43 am]
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:03:14 am]
by odzy
[September 25, 2018, 10:40:43 am]
by Milspec
[September 25, 2018, 10:06:02 am]
by Hoopy
[September 24, 2018, 06:52:22 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2002
  • *Latest: itfarmer

• *Total Posts: 50034
  • *Total Topics: 4444
  • *Online Today: 74
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 55
  • *Total: 56

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Building a log cabin  (Read 6260 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Building a log cabin
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 07:13:42 am »

Hey Oz, just be aware that the termites we have in australia will eat through anything plastic or poly to get to wood products or fresh water for nest building. We have a lot of trouble here with termites eating through our underground polypipe to get the water trapped inside. And I knew someone who
had rifle stocks and other gear buried in poly drums underground for storage and the termites
got into that as well. Just lucky he checked the stuff every couple of months.
They however do not like high salt concentrations, I would imagine it dehydrates their bodies!
Good idea with the floating goods. All the drums will float as there would be pockets of air amungst
your goodies.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 08:57:04 am »

First move to a suitable state - I.E. Tasmania

Termites are rare here and the general consensus among builders is that termites here are not a problem to buildings.
Mind you, there are plenty of pest control outfits that will happily 'treat' your home against them and recommend
an ongoing treatment too.

I lived mostly in NSW and every house I ever had and any bit of wood left on the ground got termites sooner or later.
Here, I have come across some in a rotted (and damp)  tree stump, but there is plenty of old timber lying around the place
with none and my house which is about 50 years old has no evidence of them (yes I do know the signs).

The main problem here is more likely to be rot. I have dry rot in frames of cowsheds and hothouses and wet rot
in some timber that is constantly damp.

Currently helping a friend build a small cabin.
First considered 'logs'. A nearby eucalypt plantation was recently thinned which left hundreds of smaller diameter trees
(3 -30 cm diameter and up to 6 metres long) laying flattened on the ground.
I tried recovering some of these but found it was just too hard.
The branches are entangled so you have to chainsaw each one clear, then you have to drag it back
to somewhere a vehicle can get to. (The plantation is on a steep hillside).

Gave up on those logs and now building a 'DIY garden shed kit' - timber panels for the sides and a zinc steel roof.
It sits on treated pine stumps set directly in the ground and with some rapid set concrete.
All the components were transported as close as possible by box trailer (the whole lot weighs less than 200kg)
then hand carried or part trolleyed to the building site. Some hard yakka but doable with two people.
Located in rain forest so bush fire risk is lower than most places but will need to keep the wood protected against rot.

Conclusion, log cabin sounds good, but likely to be too hard to get good logs to site and then a lot of very hard
lifting work to build it. A garden shed is a compromise too, but the caves around here are all old mining shafts
and are wet, with the occasional rock fall so they are only good for temporary hiding places.

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:51:14 pm »

Mate passed a plantation on way to Railton last week with logs cut and stacked ,asked daughters partner and he said that pile has been there for a few months and just left there as loggers have moved on elsewhere , think maybe grab neighbours truck for a late night trip mmmmmmm, would be enough there to build a small cabin , an idea could build for me and mrs and the snoring could stay in the main cabin , definitely worth consideration mmmmmmm

Cheers Paddler

Oh and I learnt how to fit the logs and not h them from an old bridge carpenter I worked with using an axe and an adze plus a chainsaw ,well worth taking the time to learn those skills for the future
The brave may not live long, but , the cautious do not live at all , ride on

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 06:20:34 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Probably easier just to trade  some supplies for a decent boat

lol yeah I think that.

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:26:33 pm »

There are heaps of boats all over Australia that are just sitting gathering barnacles.  Just have to borrow it for a while....

My hair brain scheme.....  Then it is build a log tree house on the island...
Most of my food storage is in 30l containers  was thinking can just tie them together and  will float like a raft behind the kayak or can be towed behind small craft. Have a few taps that can be screwed onto the container, then use for water storage.They also have a rubber seal in the lid so are air tight. I think I have about 15 of them..

Mate, have you tried paddling a kayak with even 1 submerged 20L container floating behind? You would be effectively towing a sea-anchor.  I've tried towing small logs with much better hydrodynamic properties and can assure you it's tough work.
You definitely want a decent sized boat you can stow all your gear in even if you're headed to an island well within sight of mainland.  The rest of the plan seems fairly sound though.
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

Jarhead

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 08:47:59 pm »

There are heaps of boats all over Australia that are just sitting gathering barnacles.  Just have to borrow it for a while....

Most of my food storage is in 30l containers  was thinking can just tie them together and  will float like a raft behind the kayak or can be towed behind small craft. Have a few taps that can be screwed onto the container, then use for water storage.They also have a rubber seal in the lid so are air tight. I think I have about 15 of them..

I like this idea dont suppose your in sth east qld
Alot of good i deas i see here guys thanks for the input i live by the motto of who dares wins so worrying about if you can cant or should shouldnt goes out the window its who dares wijs

Jarhead

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »

Iv ridden diet bikes across all sth east qld so many spots nobody goes all u need is something across a small lakes that no body would bother to row across and hide the bikes over there tow a small trailer for materials

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 09:04:53 pm »

Forget the logs, go for a tiny on wheels  ;)

OzHippy

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »

Iv ridden diet bikes across all sth east qld so many spots nobody goes all u need is something across a small lakes that no body would bother to row across and hide the bikes over there tow a small trailer for materials
Yip "who dares wins", I think it is a good alternative - just need plenty of tarps, mozzie nets, warms stuff, fishing gear and nets, rat traps, perhaps a small metal wood stove, a few drums for water storage and all the usual prepper bug out stuff.  Only thing I would still need to purchase is a small indoor wood stove and one of those cooler boxes/fridge that comes with solar pannel, the it will truly be thriving not surviving.

Getting there is the challenge, I am in NSW east coast - so it is a bit of a trip.   I have scanned/googled islands all the way down to Antarctica, to date Clarke Island Tas looks the best.

LOL we should get together and take annual leave some time go over to TAS kayak across and  build a kick ass shelter in a remote area of the island, do some fishing and put a plan together for a SHTF event. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:14:27 pm by OzHippy »
We live in interesting times!!

OzHippy

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »

Forget the logs, go for a tiny on wheels  ;)

Watch this YT vid, he is a crazy guy with some learning difficult, He has a bike with rack, trailer and boat with plenty of gear and it all seams to work.

We live in interesting times!!

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 10:49:38 pm »

Bite the bullet and get a vibrated concrete large size pipe from rocola and use that as the house shell. Just need and an anchor base of concrete to stop it rolling, block up a front and back wall,
wooden floor with under floor storage (as the pipe is round), front door and a back window and
you are set. No need for a roof as it is weather proof, termite proof and you can even bury it if you want or set it into a hill side with no back window. Big enough for a bugout hut.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 09:05:58 am »

Bite the bullet and get a vibrated concrete large size pipe from rocola and use that as the house shell. Just need and an anchor base of concrete to stop it rolling, block up a front and back wall,
wooden floor with under floor storage (as the pipe is round), front door and a back window and
you are set. No need for a roof as it is weather proof, termite proof and you can even bury it if you want or set it into a hill side with no back window. Big enough for a bugout hut.

Been thinking about doing that for years, no way I could afford one now though I think, they must be a few $1000 at least for a large one.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 10:34:50 am »

They are not cheap Rob. But super strong and fire proof, water proof, termite proof, hail proof,
and with a little dirt pushed over the top they can be well hidden once the ends are attached.
I know where there is a heap of smaller U shaped ones laying around. Stackem on each other to make a bigger storage area.

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:53 pm »

I like this idea dont suppose your in sth east qld
Alot of good i deas i see here guys thanks for the input i live by the motto of who dares wins so worrying about if you can cant or should shouldnt goes out the window its who dares wijs

Who dares wins ... sounds like the words that precede the creation of dead heros.  I reckon Burke might have said that to Wills.  Still, I'm a believer in fortune favoring the Bold.

'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)

Jarhead

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 03:50:00 am »

Probably correct i think i watched quin medicine women a little too much anf it looked so easy
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Top Posters This Week