Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1845
  • *Latest: Rewild

• *Total Posts: 46688
  • *Total Topics: 4288
  • *Online Today: 43
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 25
  • *Total: 25
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Building a log cabin  (Read 853 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Building a log cabin
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:01 am »

If you want a cheaper shelter. Get as large a gal tin tank (2000 gallon min) 2nd hand and cut it in half across the diameter on the top and bottom. Pop rivet Cut you doorway in one half end. You can make it taller
with 3 runs of rock/cinder blocks under the end. Stretch some reo mesh over it and slowly add
concrete/render (3:1 mix sand and cement powder) over the whole structure layer by layer.
After 3-4 layers cover it with soil to conceal the structure. It will be termite proof and water proof as you need, but only cost $300-400 complete.
Or even cheaper way is to find a nice solid rock face and with a geny and kango hammer cut a cave into the rock, a winter time job, but very satisfying.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 08:28:07 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you want a cheaper shelter. Get as large a gal tin tank (2000 gallon min) 2nd hand and cut it in half across the diameter on the top and bottom. Pop rivet Cut you doorway in one half end. You can make it taller
with 3 runs of rock/cinder blocks under the end. Stretch some reo mesh over it and slowly add
concrete/render (3:1 mix sand and cement powder) over the whole structure layer by layer.
After 3-4 layers cover it with soil to conceal the structure. It will be termite proof and water proof as you need, but only cost $300-400 complete.
Or even cheaper way is to find a nice solid rock face and with a geny and kango hammer cut a cave into the rock, a winter time job, but very satisfying.

Good idea, sort of poor man's concrete pipe. But another advantage is that all the components are man-handleable, no machinery or crane required, therefore you can hide the structure in an inaccessible part of your land.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 07:40:16 am »

Both are one man jobs Rob.
A ute can move all you need.
Just finding a suitable position is problem.
Does not need to be on your place.
Properties surrounding us have dozens of spots and most have not seen a white man ever.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 10:26:08 am »

Iv ridden diet bikes across all sth east qld so many spots nobody goes all u need is something across a small lakes that no body would bother to row across and hide the bikes over there tow a small trailer for materials

In a big SHTF situation..  people will head to lakes and rivers...and many will be thinking the same as you. If you can get to it, so can orhers.  That's why it is always better to have your own land where you can use things like rainwater tanks or be able to use a friends land.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:27:48 am by sea-dove »

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 10:33:17 am »

And big tanks occasionally come up on gumtree free, that's where I got my big tank from free of cost (I was the only person who phoned wanting it).  I just had to pay a professional to move it to my place (and had to take a part of the fence down to get it into the yard).  **sighs I still haven't got it connected to the house yet as there is just too much to do here***  If things go into a crisis situation right now, I'd currently be relying on my pond and my neighbours big swimming pool for water.

Its looking like we may be getting closer and closer to a war with the way America is stirring things up  (America has been involved in most wars).  If there was a nuclear war, we could get flooded with people from overseas from places no longer safe to be (America could want us to help them and to send people here if they got nuked... we are too chummy with them).   We could find many of our resources in short supply if we suddenly had a huge population explosion.  We've already had water restrictions put on us at times.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:45:33 am by sea-dove »

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 07:55:00 pm »

Just as long as they all eat pork and beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No none pork eaters wanted thanks! :o >:( ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mirage

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:36 pm »

Good idea, sort of poor man's concrete pipe. But another advantage is that all the components are man-handleable, no machinery or crane required, therefore you can hide the structure in an inaccessible part of your land.

Other thing to keep an eye out for (if you live in an area where Farm clearing sales are regular) is concrete fence posts and the long (2.4m?) star pickets.  I've made a cracker wine/food cellar using them as main structural materials.  Clad on outside with 8mm blueboard to waterproof it before burial. Some marine grade stainless cable is also required.  I didn't keep close track but think costs were about $600.  Downside is it took a while to scrounge sufficient numbers of posts.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:24:42 pm by Mirage »
'Just how dangerous is he?'
'Compared to what? ... The bubonic plague?' 
(No Country for Old Men)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Top Posters This Week