Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50478
  • *Total Topics: 4472
  • *Online Today: 84
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 82
  • *Total: 82
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How fast do you think it will happen?  (Read 20074 times)

Kenna

Re: How fast do you think it will happen?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »

I know that things are getting tougher, and I don't know if the downward spiral will be fast or slow.....all I do know is that it is happening!
For years I've thought that having a section of land (no matter how small it is) to enable me to grow as much of our own food as possible and to collect water is the best way to handle tough times, but there are obstacles being put in front of us in regards to excessive rate hikes especially in rural area's from the local councils. If you can't pay these expenses (and thereby retain your land) then your life immediately becomes harder.
I needed to think outside the square and look at what I had that would create an alternative income stream (cash based and/or barter based) something that was outside the "traditional" female employment options!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:40:50 pm by Kenna »

lew

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »

Personally I believe we will suffer economic collapse, and that it began some time ago and without a major change in attitude it is inevitable. It will be slow, the status quo has a lot of support, ie 80% of the global population do not want to lose what they have, no matter how little. The whole system is one of faith and trust in the intangible. Currencies and commodity prices rise and fall hundreds of times a day, Look how the world rallies to hold the system up when it wobbles. Have you noticed more and more wobbles in recent years? The system is fatally flawed, it could be fixed, but won't be. We will see signs of things to come by watching other countries, fuel and power rationing followed by food rationing followed by martial law. In Australia we will probably see industrial action as things start to hit home. Add an occasional natural disaster to put even more strain and things get grim. Prepping is a great way to buffer your lifestyle when it begins.

grumble

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »

the build up will be a slow dragged out decline with a rapid and sudden collapse over a couple of days at the end

The global economy can collapse at any time it just needs the right event to trigger it and there are no shortages of them floating around Syria and Iran are just 2 of them

Note

when I mean rapid I mean as n you wake one morning and by the time you go to bed its all over for the global economy
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:12:37 pm by grumble »
Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.”

“Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me. ”

Keith

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:56:43 am »

Have you noticed the increase in drunken violence? There is no fixing this now, this behavour is now too ingrained in our society.
Have you noticed the effects of global warming/climate change? We have, & it is going to get worse & speed up. More rain & snow overseas in the North, but here in Australia less rain & more heat!!! This is a survival situation happening right now.
Our fruit trees have stopped fruiting because of the warmer winters. An increase in weeds & bugs. The cane toad's territory is spreading. The only fruit we have this season is rhubarb, & it's leaved are drying out to a crisp brown & disintegrating. The same with our silverbeet which has been our mainstay through winter. Many other plants are also affected. We are going to have to change our methods of food production from now on.
Big changes are being made to social services, less money & help for lower income people, & more money going to the wealthy. My wife is about to lose her job due to these changes, & she is management! They are integrating services, but with less staff & less money.
Women suffering domestic violence will get less support, so there will be more deaths & likely more violence. This government is literally driving us towards a survival situation. We could be looking at more protests & protests turning into riots. That is how I see it at this present time.
Keith.

Jay

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 11:54:04 am »

Me, I'm no financial expert, but someone who reads a lot of differing views.

I think that we are in for a rough ride - Holden, Ford and now Toyota are all shutting shop - the ripple on effect is that here in SA at least 10-16 thousand jobs will go. With a 1 billion dollar blow out in this financial year already, the experts are all warning that Sth Aust may go into a recession like period.

The US keeps raising it's debt limit, using this money just to pay interest on it's loans - it can't go on doing this forever. Something has to give. The EU is a mess, countries are either falling over the abyss (Greece, Cyprus ), or teetering on the edge (Italy, Spain ). I think if a few more go, then the ripples will be bigger and felt worldwide.

Yes our economy is linked to China more so, but their economy is a bubble about to burst.
Our lower dollar is helping, and taking the strain off many sectors, but, with more job losses (Alco shutting down in Vic and NSW), who is next?? SPC??? Well, they got a $25 million bail out from the Vic govt, but they have said that they will not guarantee they will stay open!!

Time to get on the rollercoaster and go for a bumpy ride me thinks - so, off to the shops to buy another weeks worth of goodies.

Stay safe all and prep well.

ThatFamilyGuy

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »

Jay I hear you man, there's a very real chance I'm relocating to the far north coast NSW, and while industries there don't seem to be as great and/or as centralised as here in Vic, there's not how many jobs going out the window. All our Government will do is throw insults back and forth at its opposition and receive it, somewhat rightly so.

In any case once the Chinese economy or US economy bursts, we will feel it. We're too heavily vested in both sides not to feel it. Europe, while I know we'll feel the ripples, I don't imagine it'd be as bad as the neighbouring economies.

With this government also favouring austerity before major spending to combat a possible recession, I just wonder how much the welfare sector will lose to accommodate the destined intake.

GisbornePrepper

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

After prepping for almost 2 years I've stopped worrying about what might happen and when, and I've just focused on being as self sufficient as possible.

I've also lost the term "prepper" and started to consider myself "self sufficient", by changing my mindset and thinking of this as a lifestyle it has taken away a lot of the stress and has enabled me to stay focused.
Skill set:
- Agriculture
- Food preservation
- Hydroponics
- Alcohol manufacturing and distillation
- Level 2 first aid
- Cooking with food storage
- Riflemanship
- Ammunition reloading

Keith

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After prepping for almost 2 years I've stopped worrying about what might happen and when, and I've just focused on being as self sufficient as possible.

I've also lost the term "prepper" and started to consider myself "self sufficient", by changing my mindset and thinking of this as a lifestyle it has taken away a lot of the stress and has enabled me to stay focused.

Good post Gisborne.
Keith.

Speewah

• likes to see preppers old & new treated with respect & courtesy
  • Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:32 am »

Good post Gisborne.
Keith.

????
I've been at this since the 1970's.  I'm still learning.  I used to call myself a 'survivalist' until that term came to be associated with sociopath rednecks.

Keith

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:56 am »

I don't think it really matters what you call it, or what tag you put on yourself. As you say Hamilton, it is indeed a lifestyle. You do the best you can with what you have & hope you have it all covered no matter what happens in the future. And yes you are right, there is always more to learn.
Take care.
Keith.

Surviveordie

• Full Member - Trade Approved
    • ozprep.com
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 06:09:47 pm »

Google simon michaux and you will see a couple of his lectures about this, he just did one last night at UQ. He would be the most known professor openly talking about this in Australia.

I have been working with him regarding the stats about the financial of the country and looking at the impact different downfalls will have on the economy. Without putting an opinion in here I will only say that the figures show there is a problem and that people that are looking into prepping are on the right path.

There is a lot of concern around the mining industry and they are funding universities to research the industry and what could/will happen, to give you an indication on how bad it looks, Simon is one of the professors that have been asked to research the industry and look at the possible outcomes, and he would have to be the most advanced prepper I know. So the fact that a well known professor that is very respected in the mining industry living and working on improving a self-sufficient farm should tell you there is something going on.

The how to site for preppers

Vanish without a trace

Keith

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 06:37:35 pm »

Very interesting Surviveordie, thank you for sharing.
Regards, Keith.

Kenna

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 09:54:29 pm »

Thank you Surviveordie

Old Codger

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 05:02:57 am »

I expect that I will prove to be one of the most pessimistic members here.

I believe that a financial SHTF Day will dawn, very possibly this year.  When it does, in my view in the Bond markets, it will ripple around the world in hours.  It will take the share markets with it in the avalanche and the rest will follow.

it will be FAR worse than anything we have seen before and again, FAR worse (and longer) than 1929.

The GFC of 2008, an UNpayable debt problem,  has been 'solved' by adding ever more debt!

JMO

OC

lew

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:28 am »

Hey Old Codger, you are right about it falling apart within hours, I had a normal day working in the bank back in 1987, the first I knew of any issues was listening to the radio driving home, it got worse by the minute, business was closed, nothing could be done in Australia, by the time I got home the market had really plummeted, I spent the night watching it unfold. Luckily I have sold my shares 4 days earlier and a company I was running had done the same 3 weeks prior. It will happen again, I don't have investments anymore, I survived the 87 crash, and the GFC both times I had a recently established BOL on acreage but lost everything twice due to the female equivalents of financial crashes. 2 homes in 12 years, not a bad record.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Top Posters This Week