Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Aussie Flu
by grenadier
[Today at 04:39:31 pm]
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 04:25:29 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by grenadier
[Today at 12:52:19 pm]
by grenadier
[Today at 12:41:56 pm]
by Arkane
[Today at 11:29:41 am]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 47655
  • *Total Topics: 4320
  • *Online Today: 67
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 2
  • *Guests: 41
  • *Total: 43

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Prepper website  (Read 808 times)

Treya

Prepper website
« on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:28 pm »

Just wanted to share a website that I have spent a few days going through. It's not the easiest to navigate as you have to open some pages to get to others rather that having them all listed but there's some good info in there like storing preps in a small house. Different types of small kits that can be put together for other people including emergency workers. Cheap farraday cages. Local emergency training (US based).

This lady preps specifically for helping out her community which some people may not agree with but there is still good information to be found. You can take away ideas if you are prepping for a large family, neighbours/friends  or local community. She can also be seen on youtube with some walk-throughs of her house showing her storage from a local news channel and her segment on doomsday preppers.

The page has not been updated in some time but still relevant.

Looking through this site got me researching my local area emergency response as well and my work as well as looking around in my small house and seeing much more potential for storage for items like blankets, water, food and maybe making some smaller kits for giving away in local (short term) emergencies. Even having a family member or friend suddenly needing to stay a few nights and needing some of the basics...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (local news segment - "Calamity Janet" shows us the life of a prepper)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Doomsday Preppers - Close the Door, Load the Shotgun | S01E09)

Interested to hear what (if anything) you take away from it.

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Prepper website
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:25 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (local news segment - "Calamity Janet" shows us the life of a prepper)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Doomsday Preppers - Close the Door, Load the Shotgun | S01E09)

That lady, I believe she's really screwed things up for herself  by going on local TV and telling them she's preparing for everyone.  That's as bad as going onto facebook and announcing there you are going to have a free party with free food and drink and anyone who shows up is invited... we've all heard stories of what happens when people do that.  She has preps for only 1000 and far far more now would show up.  She may as well just forget her house and what she has stored there.

Not only that, dont you think that in a SHTF the authorities would turn decide to take charge (take over!) her stocks with knowing she has food there for 1000, she's instantly got their attention the moment she goes and takes the emergency services the 50 walkie talkies.  The food then would all be be quickly taken out of her hands and not hers any longer.  Could end up being moved and locked in some warehouse and not even used for where needed the most.

That guy and his wife, his protection/reinforced room, I saw a massive issue with that as that room is as death trap for him and his wife as the door opens outwards.   Sure he can go and lock himself in the room to escape maruaders but he is taking a huge risk that they would just bar him into there once he's gone  in the reinforced room to keep him out there way while they stay and eat everything else in that house. How in the heck is he then going to ever get out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 09:06:32 am by sea-dove »

Treya

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:45 pm »

That lady, I believe she's really screwed things up for herself  by going on local TV and telling them she's preparing for everyone.  That's as bad as going onto facebook and announcing there you are going to have a free party with free food and drink and anyone who shows up is invited... we've all heard stories of what happens when people do that.  She has preps for only 1000 and far far more now would show up.  She may as well just forget her house and what she has stored there.

Not only that, dont you think that in a SHTF the authorities would turn decide to take charge (take over!) her stocks with knowing she has food there for 1000, she's instantly got their attention the moment she goes and takes the emergency services the 50 walkie talkies.  The food then would all be be quickly taken out of her hands and not hers any longer.  Could end up being moved and locked in some warehouse and not even used for where needed the most.

That guy and his wife, his protection/reinforced room, I saw a massive issue with that as that room is as death trap for him and his wife as the door opens outwards.   Sure he can go and lock himself in the room to escape maruaders but he is taking a huge risk that they would just bar him into there once he's gone  in the reinforced room to keep him out there way while they stay and eat everything else in that house. How in the heck is he then going to ever get out.

I don't necessarily agree with her decision to go public (nor the other segments in that DP episode) and I expected most people would take issue with that, I was highlighting the storage ideas and so forth for those of us that live in smaller houses and finding storage room is a concern.

grenadier

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:56:13 pm »

I like the way you think, Treya

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:50:01 pm »

Problem with that is, she put all her eggs in one basket.
If the mob starts to riot and start torching houses and your house is on fire what do you think happens to all your stash :(

Big big nono... 

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:46:47 am »

So much food and most will likely go stale.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Treya

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »

So much food and most will likely go stale.
I was curious how she stored her pasta and rice long term ie just in the storebought packet? I have found that rice and pasta (among other things) can get weavils quite easily, I suspect some are already infested to some degree so I would hesitate to store large quantities straight from the store. Rice usually goes straight in the freezer for me as well as flour, oats and some other items that are used less often to keep fresh longer and kill (or neutralize) any critters already in the packet. Not ideal for space with other items typically kept in the freezer but I haven't had a pantry moth problem since so less wastage. Have watched a few vids on various storage methods such as ye olde bucket with lid, mylar bags +/- the bucket, jars, etc. Hard to make a decision for long term storage and make sure it stays viable long term apart from freeze dried and yet to find a Australian supplier along the lines of Thrive or similar. I can dehydrate sure but I think would rather freeze dried for some items.

While I have recently learned that tinned foods are edible longer than "used by" dates I am a bit of a squib and would rather rotate items than pull out a 10-15 year old can of beans unless I was starving then I would probably channel my inner goat.

Problem with that is, she put all her eggs in one basket.
If the mob starts to riot and start torching houses and your house is on fire what do you think happens to all your stash :(

Big big nono...
Yeah that would suck

I like the way you think, Treya
Thanks, I think... ;D

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »

She would have to vacuum pack all rice and pasta and store it in a freezer to get the best life out of
it. I have eaten old rank government rice in the phillipines and it is shit! Keep you alive, but is life that
precious to eat crap. Yes I know the answer. But if you can prevent it then plz do so.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:07 pm »

Dedicate a whole solar chest freezer to vacuum sealed rice, pasta, and other grains.  Flour is best kept as a grain then freshly milled with a manual machine as needed ;)

Treya

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 09:57:11 pm »

Dedicate a whole solar chest freezer to vacuum sealed rice, pasta, and other grains.  Flour is best kept as a grain then freshly milled with a manual machine as needed ;)
I had to google solar chest freezer to see if they are real

sea-dove

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:59:57 am »

While I have recently learned that tinned foods are edible longer than "used by" dates I am a bit of a squib and would rather rotate items than pull out a 10-15 year old can of beans unless I was starving then I would probably channel my inner goat.

take care.  You shouldnt use things if they say "use by" after that date.   If they say "best before" you can use many years after the date.

Ive eaten baked beans, peas, spaghetti in cans etc which were  very very old eg 20-25 years.. when I cleaned out my grandmothers cupboards she never used  (she wasnt a prepper but she sure was well stocked).  Cans she had since I was child.  Well known brands which I couldnt even recognise the labels as they have changed, they were that old.  The interesting thing was that the baked beans and spaghetti back then, tasted far better then they do now days.  They were so yummy that old food

A few of the cans were no longer good but one could see the discolouration from can and could see they were no good esp when one opened them (didnt smell but one can clearly see what not to eat).  One thing I did see which surprised me was that old cans even if kept in a dry cupboard inside, away from rooms which have water in them (away from bathroom, kitchen, laundry), some of the cans still do start to still rust after time so you probably should check all  your cans every couple of years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:05:55 am by sea-dove »

crazycatlady

• Juniper Cottage - living simply
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 07:14:07 am »

solar freezer?  I know such things exist in the size of an esky and are bought from camping shops but can you tell me any more about such a thing?  Are there real and handy ones out there I could just pop on my verandah and fold out a panel?

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:01:13 pm »

crazycatlady

• Juniper Cottage - living simply
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 05:17:03 pm »

Thanks very much for that.  Now for someone who thinks that safety matches are a bit technical, is my vision of popping some panels in the paddock and running a lead to the new freezer just dreaming?

Also, can anyone in the SEQLD recommend a solar person who is not just trying to flog the highest profit items at me and would take the time to consider my specific needs/ wishes?

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 07:34:01 am »

I can help CCL.
What is it you want to achieve!
Pages: [1] 2 3

Top Posters This Week