Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: How did you prepare today?
by Gympiegoat
[Today at 03:13:18 pm]
by odzy
[Today at 02:29:56 pm]
by Gympiegoat
[Today at 11:11:23 am]
Re: Financial armageddon
by grenadier
[August 16, 2018, 04:04:46 pm]
Re: Swap and Go lpg
by odzy
[August 16, 2018, 05:32:06 am]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1980
  • *Latest: Wanderer

• *Total Posts: 49801
  • *Total Topics: 4427
  • *Online Today: 77
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 58
  • *Total: 58
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Aloe Vera as a food plant  (Read 676 times)

sea-dove

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Aloe Vera as a food plant
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:26:57 am »

Ive been collecting info on using Aloe Vera as a food thing so thought what Ive found may be interesting to people... I'll summarise and put in a few links

-  Aloe Vera contains something called aloin which is toxic.  This is in the yellow juice, hence why preparation to remove the aloin via draining and soaking should be done before using. This toxic juice layer is just below the outer skin of the aloe vera plant’s leaves in the yellow juice of the plant

- This yellow juice may also irritate skin if you have an allergy to latex.

- Incorrectly prepared aloe vera may cause miscarriages and can be esp toxic to children so this plant is recommended not to be taken by children or pregnant women.  It may  cause cramping if you are menstruating.

- Aloe Vera aloin may be used as a laxative but be aware 
"Use of the aloin as a laxative may result in severe cramping and purging of the intestines. Misuse of aloin may lead to excessive electrolyte loss and has subsequently been banned by the Food and Drug Administration for use in over-the-counter laxative medications as of 2002."

- Keep aloe vera plants away from pets as the aloin is  toxic to them too

- Using aloe vera safetly on the skin
"When applying aloe vera gel to the skin, don't cut off the tip of a leaf and squeeze out the gel. This practice releases the toxic aloin along with the gel, resulting in irritation. Instead of squeezing, cut the aloe leaf at the base of the plant, slip on a pair of plastic, non-latex gloves and fillet the aloe vera leaf with a sharp knife. Once the aloe vera leaf is opened into two halves, scrape the top layer of clear gel from the leaf using a butter knife. Leave behind the lower layer of gel, closest to the skin.  Store the gel in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and toss out the rind."

- If you have a heart problem and use any kind of digitalis medication consult your Naturopathic or Medical doctor before using any Aloe product internally as the interaction may cause irregular heartbeat.

- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  How to best prepare and filet aloe vera (for cooking)

Some aloe vera food recipes
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Aloe Vera dessert (this sounds yummy and has interesting combo of ingredients).

Poached Aloe Vera (traditional way to have it on yogurt for a breakfast dish) 

INGREDIENTS
1 cup   Sugar
2 tablespoons   Lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
2 large   Aloe leaves (about 1 pound)

*Because the aloe is very slippery it is hard to peel, but it's important that you get all the fiberous green peel off the aloe as it is tough and bitter. Chop the aloe into small cubes and add to a small saucepan along with the sugar and lime juice.
*Cook the aloe over medium low heat until the liquid is no longer slimy and the cubes have the texture of resilient grapes. Allow to cool and serve over plain yogurt.

Aloe Vera Roti  (Indian Flat bread - ingredients -wheat flour, aloe vera and a little bit of water)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

"Mango Gelatin with Lime-Poached Aloe Vera

Serves 6
You can’t use fresh mango with a gelatin dessert (enzyme that usually interferes with the gelatin setting), but heating mango nectar instead neutralizes that enzyme and makes this dessert work (so don’t skip that step!). For a less sweet version, don’t use the poaching liquid to top the dessert, just use the aloe pieces.

1 large aloe leaf (12-14 ounces)
¼ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 packages unflavored gelatin powder
2 cups mango nectar
½ cup whole milk Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom

1. Follow the 'How To Peel Aloe Vera Leaves' instructions above. Rinse the aloe flesh to remove as much of the excess goo as possible. Drain.   
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar, lime juice, and 2 Tablespoons water until sugar dissolves. Add ½ cup of the chopped aloe and bring to a simmer. Cook until the aloe is firm, 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool, and refrigerate the aloe in the poaching liquid until ready to use.
3. In a medium bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over 1 cup cold water and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the mango nectar to a boil.  Pour the hot nectar into the gelatin mixture, and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved, 5 minutes. Pour into six 4 oz ramekins and refrigerate until set, 1-2 hours.
4. To serve, stir together the yogurt, vanilla, and cardamom. Spread 2 Tablespoons of the yogurt mixture over each ramekin and top with a tablespoon of the aloe and poaching liquid.  "

off the topic a little but I found the following today
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Magic Rooting Hormone (using Aloe Vera gel for rooting other plants)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:29:45 am by sea-dove »

Mia

Re: Aloe Vera as a food plant
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 09:48:35 am »

Thanks for the info, printing it off to put in my file... I've just been breaking leaves off and rubbing straight onto bites etc... ooops

rikrikrik

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:58:06 am »

its nice to see that you told people about some of the risks, i have used it in vegan cooking before, but anything tastes good with sugar, problem is where do you get sugar

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 11:32:03 am »

Plant some sugar cane!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »

Learn how to find and rob bee hives.

Mia

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:53:08 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Plant some sugar cane!

Asked a mate if he could give me cuttings from his farm, turns out it's illegal to grow for mere mortals! Just like the big bananas...

Top Posters This Week