Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Media article on Prepping and Preppers
by Milspec
[Today at 07:50:43 am]
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:03:14 am]
by odzy
[September 25, 2018, 10:40:43 am]
by Milspec
[September 25, 2018, 10:06:02 am]
by Hoopy
[September 24, 2018, 06:52:22 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2002
  • *Latest: itfarmer

• *Total Posts: 50034
  • *Total Topics: 4444
  • *Online Today: 74
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 62
  • *Total: 63

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Growing canabis as trading commodity  (Read 3194 times)

Red

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
Re: Growing canabis as trading commodity
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 09:07:32 am »

Hemp is cannabis plants with such a low level of THC that you need to smoke a shit-tonne of it to get high....if it will happen at all. So it probably doesn't have the same medical benefits as normal weed either.

Download

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 12:00:49 pm »

^This.

However hemp hearts ARE pretty amazing stuff. I actually make a pretty good hemp porridge (sounds weird, but it's great) as a nutrition-packed brekky every now and then.

I've never really looked into it but I reckon if you could manage to work out how to grow it and you were in the right growing environment bang for your buck it'd be a pretty damn good addition to a home pantry garden. That being said I've absolutely NO idea what it takes to grow and process it for eating so *shrug* could be more work than it's worth.
If I could grow cannabis I'd think I'd be able to grow hemp... And 100% I wouldn't waste the space on cannabis in that case beyond a small amount strictly for medicinal purposes. I'd much rather use the space to grow it's much more beneficial cousin. After all I'd have to guess that I'd be more likely to come across someone that's starving and needs to trade for food than the occasional pothead who's so flush with supplies that they'd rather trade their food for weed.

Red

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

Weed is pretty easy to grow so I'd assume hemp is too. So long as it's got water, fertiliser and sunlight it should grow!

Hoopy

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2018, 04:47:56 pm »

LOL Download..." than the occasional pothead who's so flush with supplies that they'd rather trade their food for weed."I guess one would have to define "What type of Pothead" would be in that position as those with enough food would also have enough pot on hand as well I'd wager from personal experience.

Hemp can be cultivated into cannabis...I've read several extracts from some of the old Slavers of the deep south as to how the slaves recognised the hemp plants(Used for making rope) being similar to  their native countries cannabis and squirreled away seeds then planted & cultivated them within the next seasons crop  as not to be noticed.Many slavers let them do this upon finding they were happier and more productive while smoking it in preference to the tobacco crops.

A lot of places around Nepal actually use it as animal fodder pigs love the stuff and as a side note humans are the only species that have the correct receptors to experience the THC high that it's known for...after TSHTF it would be an easy grow for supplement feeding to grazing animals.

Download

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 06:41:14 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A lot of places around Nepal actually use it as animal fodder pigs love the stuff and as a side note humans are the only species that have the correct receptors to experience the THC high that it's known for...after TSHTF it would be an easy grow for supplement feeding to grazing animals.

Now that I DIDN'T know. So I guess then the question becomes, what's easier to cultivate, and what's the preference at the end of your harvest? Are you planting it to have something that's both usable to your animals and tradeworthy to potheads? Or are you better off growing hemp, and using it as a nutritional boost yourself as well as using the fibers for a multitude of other uses? On that note, can cannabis leaves be used in the same cloth making manner? I'd assume so. That leads me to think as a time saving measure it'd be worth just growing the cannabis and being done with it.

Personally I would be more concerned with providing myself and my family with a hardy, reliable food source and then once that was established I'd look at other commodities for barter. Maybe then pot would go into the garden list for medicine and trading. That being said, I've no knowledge at all on growing either one. I always kind of assumed they were fairly thirsty plants but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

I have no particular prejudice against cannabis or pot smokers in general. I just have no attraction to it myself and as a result I tend to feel that hemp would be more valuable in the long term as a food source. Mind you I say that now with no real need for it's medicinal benefits which I will happily concede appear to be numerous.

Hoopy

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 11:37:35 pm »

The fibre is in the stem /stalks the leaves would best be suited to being made into a calmative tea and better than chamomile by far.I'd be interested in what you classify as "Hemp Hearts" and how you acquire them as a food source.

Download

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 02:40:59 pm »

Hemp hearts are simply hemp seeds, processed to remove the outer (basically inedible) shells. You can buy them from just about any healthfood store and apparently even supermarkets carry them in health food aisles now.
They're not cheap. Their status as a 'superfood' and the fact that it's only just been legislated that they're able to be sold as a food product means that the industry has basically been able to set the price at whatever they like. After all, up until a few months ago you were only able to buy it as a health supplement for body scrubs etc. Those in the know would buy it for food anyway but it did mean that it sat more in the luxury range than a standard food product for a very long time. Prices have come down very slightly since, but only by a fairly negligible amount.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »

Nana's Pantry in bundaberg sells crushed hemp seeds for cooking with.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Top Posters This Week