Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Swap and Go lpg
by odzy
[Today at 05:32:06 am]
Re: Financial armageddon
by Hoopy
[Today at 12:32:16 am]
Re: Final exit .
by Hoopy
[August 15, 2018, 11:49:17 pm]
by rwa
[August 15, 2018, 10:26:23 pm]
by Hoopy
[August 15, 2018, 09:49:50 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 1980
  • *Latest: Wanderer

• *Total Posts: 49797
  • *Total Topics: 4427
  • *Online Today: 79
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 68
  • *Total: 69

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Handheld GPS navigation  (Read 562 times)

Zombie

Handheld GPS navigation
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »

Hi people.

Its time I downsize from a 12" tablet to a handheld GPS device.
I figure something so much smaller that does the same thing is an investment itself. The screen size is a compromise, but not too bad I will hope.
I use this for logging routes to take, interesting finds and a bread crumb in case I get lost, since I am geographically challenged.

I have spent some time today having a gander at online reviews and recommendations. However I would like to hear what you use/own/want.

I am currently leaning towards a Garmin GPSMAP64ST.

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Handheld GPS navigation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »

I have a garmin nuova or some such silly bugger name. Only used it to get through friggin Melbourne and onto the Princess. It was shit hot. Apart from that I follow my nose or a map. I believe you can get piddly little phones with map app thingawhirlygigs that have headphones and talk to you as you go.

OzHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »

Just about all mobile phones have a GPS receiver, and there are many apps available.  They work offline.
We live in interesting times!!

Zombie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 06:24:26 am »

Yes, but they chew through the battery quick, larger and the signal drops alot when im out and about. This is why ive been using my windows tablet with external GPS antenna.

hailesellasie

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 05:47:30 pm »

Got a Garmin Etrex about 5yrs ago..it's nothing special, mono-color screen, but it works very well., 2xAA batteries..Doesn't have maps, but it can take you home/retrace your path back to base or any waypoint.
We also use Alpine Quest which can be used offline and you can download maps and navigate with it offline. However, I have it on a tablet and its a bit cumbersome...

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »

I guess I'm old school when it comes to nav, at least in the bush, and am happy with a topo map. Different story on the road although even then I think I should go back to having a few maps in the car.
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

Zombie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 10:19:59 am »

I did consider keeping maps, however i plan to use this where ever I go.
I have used Alpine quest before, still have it on my phone. I Am also using Memory maps on the tablet too.
The key feature I need is breadcrumb trails and be able to export those trails out. I do alot of old track finding in the 4x4. Its pretty handy to find locations people have forgotten about and prime locations to set up a camp ground, etc.

Just wanting to see what other people used as being the tight arse I am, $500odd is abit step for me at present.

OzHippy

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 01:00:44 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did consider keeping maps, however i plan to use this where ever I go.
I have used Alpine quest before, still have it on my phone. I Am also using Memory maps on the tablet too.
The key feature I need is breadcrumb trails and be able to export those trails out. I do alot of old track finding in the 4x4. Its pretty handy to find locations people have forgotten about and prime locations to set up a camp ground, etc.

Just wanting to see what other people used as being the tight arse I am, $500odd is abit step for me at present.
I have done a lot of work with remote infield GPS data collection mostly using handheld GPS or very expensive custom tablets with fancy software on them.   
An easy solution would be to get a GPS data logger and put QGIS on your tablet. 

GPS data loggers are basically designed to be setup in the office then placed in a vehilce and downloaded at the end of the trip to record where the vehicle has been.  They can be used to do live recording and waypoints with description can be added. 

QIS is a free fully functional GIS packages that allows one to edit layers add layers like farm boundaries etc...etc..  A bit of a learning curve to use a GIS system but functionality is incredible.     There is a lot of gov. data (maps, roads, rivers, dams, property boundaries, boreholes etc..) in .shp (shape files) than can be opened in QGIS

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:12:51 pm by OzHippy »
We live in interesting times!!

Top Posters This Week