Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Economic Reset Imminent
by Peter
[Today at 10:58:02 am]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 08:51:38 am]
by Arkane
[Today at 05:31:51 am]
by shinkaro
[October 18, 2018, 10:37:45 pm]
by graynomad
[October 18, 2018, 10:23:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2010
  • *Latest: seckioz

• *Total Posts: 50178
  • *Total Topics: 4448
  • *Online Today: 98
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 46
  • *Total: 47

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Post-SHTF cooperation avoids murder  (Read 4149 times)

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Post-SHTF cooperation avoids murder
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:06 am »

Red, extension lead from fixed solar farm to electric tractor. And would a van der Graff generator be of any use?

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2018, 09:25:00 am »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The biggest problem would almost be having enough surface area on the tractor to bolt panels to! Lol it'd wind up looking like a mobile solar farm :o

Yep but the better it is done the better shade available!
Could easily go 4m wide and 8m long so about 5kw possible, probably 100mm "C" sections, two length ways and 6-7 50mm cross ways and lots a tiedown points for those nasty days :)

Most of my tractoring was done at idle or fast idle and only occasionally did I need to crank it up so 4=10kw of motor would be plenty, would need batteries if I wanted to exceed solar panel output.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2018, 09:26:34 am »

Red, extension lead from fixed solar farm to electric tractor. And would a van der Graff generator be of any use?

Range would be very limited.

grenadier

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2018, 09:42:26 am »

Maybe enough for a home vegetable garden.

Red

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2018, 12:34:10 am »

The biggest problem would almost be having enough surface area on the tractor to bolt panels to! Lol it'd wind up looking like a mobile solar farm :o

Could easily go 4m wide and 8m long so about 5kw possible, probably 100mm "C" sections, two length ways and 6-7 50mm cross ways and lots a tiedown points for those nasty days :)

Most of my tractoring was done at idle or fast idle and only occasionally did I need to crank it up so 4=10kw of motor would be plenty, would need batteries if I wanted to exceed solar panel output.

4x8m worth of frames and panels would weigh a fair amount, and even the biggest tractor cabs are only about 2x1.5m....you'd have a helluva time fitting that on top of the cab! Unless it was set up to go on top of a seeder bar, or whatever else you were pulling, with leads running to the motor....

Some implements require a certain amount of revs to run properly (1800-2000rpm) so idling may not be an option. Especially if they're PTO driven.

Arkane

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2018, 09:58:44 am »

4x8m worth of frames and panels would weigh a fair amount, and even the biggest tractor cabs are only about 2x1.5m....you'd have a helluva time fitting that on top of the cab! Unless it was set up to go on top of a seeder bar, or whatever else you were pulling, with leads running to the motor....

Some implements require a certain amount of revs to run properly (1800-2000rpm) so idling may not be an option. Especially if they're PTO driven.

A positive attitude helps. Choose the implements carefully
Yes it would be a rather large roof but even a small tractor is 1.5m wide and 3m long and the extra weight should not be a problem though high winds might be.
Roof overhang will be large but you aint gunna be out in traffic! just be careful.

sea-dove

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

Farmers are used to having to MacGyver shit out of other things in order to make them work, it goes with the territory.

I do agree with that Red, they are far more handy with things then most.  Still if someone sends them 100s of workers to work on a farm like the originally poster prosed .. it would be very hand to make instruments for all these to work on a farm within any decent time frame (and till they have tools there may not be much they can do and they would just be eating all the food there in the meantime).

Training them is not a 3 week process, it is years of handling (much better started as a calf than trying to control an adult animal), teaching them the commands, teaching them to respond to them, teaching them to work in unison with at least one other animal etc etc.

why thou do you think one needs "bullocks", any cow even female cows could help pull something. Sure bullocks may be better but if you look at countries overseas they work both male and female cows.

You can put a yoke and lines on an adult cow and then teach it and I'll watch  ;)

We had a cow out on the farm where I grew up and I actually used to love training animals, I even messed about with that cow. It was used to being lead and hitched up on the side of the road, I think I may of even got up on its back and rode it at one point. One of my hobbies used to training animals to do strange things.. I trained my pony to do circus tricks.. it could count and rear up and walk on its hind legs at my command and other stuff (someone offered me big dollars for that animal due to its tricks).  Many cows which are not meat animals are used to being handled already too.

(my current cat Ive tried to use my toilet to pee as I hate wet litter boxes, so it shares the toilet with me . When I fostered cats for a rescue.. I asked for the most difficult animals to retrain.. so got the cats the other fosters failed with. Animal training is one of my skills and many consider that Im gifted in that area)

as far as horses go most horses bred in Australia are done so for the racing industries and are totally unsuitable physically and temperamentally to be pulling any form of equipment  (other than a lightweight spider in the case of standardbreds).

That is true with those ones but there are horses out on average farms which have more suitable temperment to do things with.  Most of the farms I know do not have race horses on them.

Our draft breeds that had the strength and temperament for working are almost gone.

yeap, I dont know any clydesdales on the farms..  Lol

They also have to be physically and mentally mature enough in order to be broken in,  especially for hard work. Breaking in a draft breed at 18mo, like they do with thoroughbred racehorses, would simply result in that animal breaking down physically within a few years

probably sooner, the animal would probably be injured. Those heavier horses do mature later.

(Photo is of Heffy, my toilet trained cat)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:26:32 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »

the only reason why i did not train my last horse myself was I was pregnant at the time and the horse was completely wild (2 years old and NEVER been handled or even seen people before I got it) so I didnt want to take the risk.  The thought of training a cow a pull a plow, does not bother me a bit.

this is another cat I trained to use my toilet.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:37:00 pm by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »

"blacksmithing expertise"

if one is lucky one may know someone who can do that.

I had a big hook thing (I think it was the end of some kind of plow that someone had put onto a broom stick as I cant find another to buy anywhere).  I used this for years as its good for my disability as I can use it while sitting on the ground and to dig into the dirt a bit away from me without crawling.  It has broken though now and 2 different people have tried to fix it without luck as it fell back apart as soon as I went to use it.. the third attempt at getting it fixed resulted in the person welding it on backwards so now I cant even dig in the ground with hook due to its now at completely wrong angle LOL.  People really often lack skills to fix things or make things.

I could almost certainly fix that SD, with modern tools I admit, but I am also close to getting serious about working on my blacksmithing skills.

But I'm up in central QLD :)

Id take you up on that offer and pay you well for it if you lived close by!!  It is at times when things like that break that I wish I was still living in country town where most are far more handy at fixing things then here in the city

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2018, 09:34:06 pm »

I would have to fill the rear tyres on the tractor with lead pellets to remain earth attached :)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Top Posters This Week