Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Climate change
by Arkane
[November 15, 2018, 10:21:18 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by odzy
[November 15, 2018, 07:53:53 am]
by grenadier
[November 14, 2018, 09:20:05 pm]
by Gympiegoat
[November 14, 2018, 07:10:19 pm]
Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
by Paddler
[November 14, 2018, 06:27:35 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2030
  • *Latest: Nugget

• *Total Posts: 50328
  • *Total Topics: 4457
  • *Online Today: 110
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 67
  • *Total: 68

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: What are you comfortable 'cheaping out' on?  (Read 509 times)

Download

What are you comfortable 'cheaping out' on?
« on: September 01, 2018, 02:04:01 pm »

I was doing a bit of shopping today and I got to thinking. What's your "I don't mind spending less on this" items? The reason I asked is that I was looking for ferro rods. Found some at Kathmandu for $39.95(!!!!). Went to BCF for another item and picked up a rod and scraper set for $15. Exactly the same set up, just minus the markup.
I was looking on the Bay of E and found what looked to be another almost identical set for $3 with free shipping.

I always shop around and will sometimes convenience by (like my BCF purchase, I was already there, it was there, too lazy to wait for shipping etc. etc.) but there's some items that you just wouldn't skimp out on. Are ferro rods from China going to be as good? Very probably, in fact I'd hazard the guess that they're from the same factory as the one I got from BCF.
So are there other items like that which you know from experience it's fine to grab a cheapie online from OS rather than buying it from a brick and mortar place?

Obviously for higher cost items the quality of the product is far more likely to make the extra expenditure worthwhile but when you're buying something that is going to do the same job like foil emergency blankets etc. clearly there's no need to spend top dollar every time.

So experienced long-tooth type folk, for the freshies amoungst us (ok me, for me haha) what's your "Don't burn your dollars buying this cause you can get it cheap!" list.

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: What are you comfortable 'cheaping out' on?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:17:38 pm »

Hi Download. If you are in no panic to possess and do not need instant gratification you  can always buy better by shopping around, www shopping, op shopping, bargaining, haggling, permanent loan or blatant thievery. Do your homework and click on the button. Sit back, boil the billy and count the dollars you saved so you can spend them on other good must have shit. That's what I do anyway.

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:08:04 pm »

They say "buy once cry once"...  Most cases I think getting good quality is worth it, but there is always a sweet spot where the quality is good enough.

As to ferro rods the ones from china are softer but make much more sparks and are easier to use.  The Swedish ones are harder might last longer but more difficult to use.  To me a ferro rod is only for backup fire staring in emergency, so the Chinese ones I think are more useful.   
I use You Tube a lot for equipment reviews. 
We live in interesting times!!

Red

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:57:54 pm »

Cheap fencing is my pet hate. Nothing worse than spending money, time and effort putting a fence in and then having to redo or fix parts of it only months afterwards.
Cheap products that then don't require a great deal of extra money, time and effort are not so bad as they only cost you once to buy the item and then once to replace them.

Top Posters This Week