Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Climate change
by Arkane
[November 15, 2018, 10:21:18 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by odzy
[November 15, 2018, 07:53:53 am]
by grenadier
[November 14, 2018, 09:20:05 pm]
by Gympiegoat
[November 14, 2018, 07:10:19 pm]
Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
by Paddler
[November 14, 2018, 06:27:35 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2030
  • *Latest: Nugget

• *Total Posts: 50328
  • *Total Topics: 4457
  • *Online Today: 110
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 68
  • *Total: 69

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: CROSSBOWS - worth it or not??  (Read 600 times)

the collector

CROSSBOWS - worth it or not??
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:41:02 pm »

Hey guys, just throwing the question out there about crossbows, Are they worth having?
I had a compound bow years ago and quickly got tired of buying arrows and repairing them,then I got my firearms licence and never went back.
A mate has a good one that he hasent used for years and is looking to move it on,im tempted but need to be convinced a bit.I have all the basic calibres and havent needed a silent missle weapon yet.
Do they need any maintanence?
Are they accurate and range?
Im waiting for the brand and model number now.
Any input from experience would be wild
cheers
Ray

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Re: CROSSBOWS - worth it or not??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:19:10 pm »

Not sure what states will allow you to have one - cant in mine.

They have advantages and disadvantages like everything I suppose. My main gripe with any bow is the high attrition rate of arrows. Always getting bent or broken. I know lots of guys will tell you to make your own from what you can find in the bush but I've never seen anything I could make a decent arrow from.

If I could have a crossbow I'd have one but would reserve it for bowfishing. Main advantage is once it is cocked you aren't straining muscles to hold it at full draw which with a recurve or compound (bit easier with a compound) gets really hard really quick. I have a compound - PSE Vision - set up and set aside for bowfishing if TSHTF. Fishing arrows are solid fibreglass and are therefore heavy. It would be easy to cut some down to crossbow length and the outfit would probably work very well. There are plenty of videos on youtube on bowfishing.

As for hunting - I did a fair bit with a crossbow back when you could buy one over the counter in NSW. Don't think I ever got anything except rabbits, got lots of rabbits.

If you get a bow you'll need LOTS of spares - strings, knocks, fletching, shafts and points - especially shafts and points. Shafts break/bend/shatter (wood/alloy/carbon respectively) and they MUST be straight or you wont hit a bucket at 10 yards. Points or broadheads don't like hitting anything hard like bone, rocks, even dirt.

Also, it takes a LOT of practice to become even halfway efficient and you must maintain that training. You can toss a rifle away for a few months and still use it OK, stop practicing with your bow and you are back to square 1.

Not trying to put you off Collector, go for it if you are so inclined.

Colonial Boy

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 04:51:22 pm »

has anyone tried a slurbow?

Should cut down on the maintenance and no arrow losses.

rwa

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 06:04:05 pm »

Hey CB

Never heard of a slurbow and actually thought you were talking about a slingbow - which I like the idea pf and intend to make one, strictly for bowfishing.

I googled "slurbow" and for all intents it is just a variation of the crossbow on which it was based. Couldnt have been all that successful as only a couple of examples still exist and from the 1500's at that.

Cant see how a slurbow would have less maintenance and I expect arrow attrition would be no different to any other bow. Classification would no doubt be as a crossbow and I still dont know what states allow them, illegal in mine. Probably some snowflakes watched a fantasyland movie where some dude was taken out silently by one so obviously those evil, silent "assassination" weapons must be banned - and some other brainless moron listened.

Colonial Boy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:33 pm »

rwa,

I was thinking of the bullet firing slurbows, here's an example with a magazine; with a rifled barrel they are said to be quite accurate and quiet.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this link works, there are many references to 'bullet firing slur bows' on Google, including at least one pistol.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:15:59 pm by Colonial Boy »

rwa

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:27:55 am »

Interesting concept CB.

Would be classed as a firearm in any state in Aus though I'm sure. Couldn't see Constable Plod not being sheet scared of such an evil looking weapon. There is a "weapon" floating around at the moment called an Airbow- sort of a cross between a speargun and a PCP air rifle - launches arrows with compressed air. A fairly recent innovation (as in a year or so here but may have been around longer) that is a Category A firearm and must be registered.

This is what they look like...……..

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have spearguns, both pneumatic and rubber powered and apart from a restriction on length (500mm minimum compressed air tube) they are unregulated - anyone can buy them. Same with compound bows and recurves - get one while you can!

Top Posters This Week