Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 45053
  • *Total Topics: 4217
  • *Online Today: 78
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 51
  • *Total: 52

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Cars would not work?  (Read 6505 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
Re: Cars would not work?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 07:51:28 am »

Get or have a well grounded metal shed with roller doors.
A spare computer unit for your favourite ride.
In paddlers case just store a few more 1000 liter fuel tanks to feed his HQ and chev!
Most of our vehicles are analog and stored in metal sheds, so I am not that concerned about them not functioning.
My two bobs worth!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

hailesellasie

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 02:22:26 pm »

If I were the madman, I'd cause an EMP when I could create the largest mayhem/disruption, peak hour traffic. Obviously with time zones, some places will be still asleep and roads more or less clear. The idea of having a spare comp for your car is not a bad one at all...just have to check the cost. In any case, bug in or out..yeah that is the question..

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2017, 05:27:04 pm »

I have a question for you lads...
What makes you think that having a second ECU aka (computer) actually works???
I can guarantee you that all modern cars with ECU's are vin locked and installing a new ECU would require a manufacturers main frame computer at the dealer to be able to program that ECU to the immobiliser, key/s, etc.  Just because you buy one doesn't mean that it will work as soon as you plug it in  ;)

hailesellasie

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2017, 05:51:49 pm »

Good point there indeed...OK so out goes the engine, in goes a Cummins 4BT with an auto transmission. Will have to re-wire the whole car! But at least no more electronics...Bugga!!! :o :o :o :o

OzHippy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2017, 09:53:58 pm »

If your electronics are not switched on during the EMP blast - there is a good chance of it not being affected.  One can also EMP proof certain key components of the vehicle, or for example moving the electronic controller inside the cab of the vehicle.
Most cars now have timing chips in the engine not sure if they will be effected.  In most cases one can just disconnect the battery and reconnect which will rest the electronics and off you go.
We live in interesting times!!

BleedingGumsCityFool

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 11:03:01 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have a question for you lads...
What makes you think that having a second ECU aka (computer) actually works???
I can guarantee you that all modern cars with ECU's are vin locked and installing a new ECU would require a manufacturers main frame computer at the dealer to be able to program that ECU to the immobiliser, key/s, etc.  Just because you buy one doesn't mean that it will work as soon as you plug it in  ;)

Yeah we're screwed.

In the case of the Ford AU Falcon you need both a BEM and an ECU/PCM. These two modules must be paired with each other with a special super expensive scan tool.

So instead of needing a super expensive scan tool simply buy the BEM along with the ECU/PCM when you go and get a spare ECU from the wreckers and also get the keys and the locking mechanism from the steering wheel aswell.

That way you won't have to reprogram any new keys into the BEM and you won't have to pair the BEM with the PCM/ECU.

So to repair a nuked car you will need:
A new ECU/PCM.
A new BCM.
A new steering wheel locking chamber/whole assembly.
A new set of keys that have been previously paired with the new replacement ECU/PCM and BCM.
A full set of both assorted small/miniature blade fuses and large assorted regular fuses.
A full set of sensors and ignition modules for your car.
Possibly a new distributor. (I'm including this one because of the hall-effect sensor.

If you are really going to be troubleshooting a farked post-EMP vehicle then a code reader is a MUST. So make sure you have one in your EMP-proof ammo can along with all of the sensors and electronics needed for your car.

I would also recommend keeping this ammo can in behind your drivers seat along with the tools required to change the modules out. Just incase you are away from home when an EMP event occurs.

And don't forget the Ignition Modules.

Thankfully though in the case of the Ford Falcon EA to AU range you can put on a new intake manifold with a 2 or 4 barrel carburettor and use a new distributor from an XF on your more modern engine. Then use a low pressure fuel pump instead of a high pressure one. So your modern car with no rust is now EMP proof.

But it does require an engineers certificate and extensive modifications.

If your electronics are not switched on during the EMP blast - there is a good chance of it not being affected.  One can also EMP proof certain key components of the vehicle, or for example moving the electronic controller inside the cab of the vehicle.
Most cars now have timing chips in the engine not sure if they will be effected.  In most cases one can just disconnect the battery and reconnect which will rest the electronics and off you go.

Yes there is a good chance that if you have a battery disconnect switch on your negative terminal of your battery that you will be protected somewhat by any sudden surge. Protection like this is done regularly whenever welding occurs on a car's frame or exhaust system. And whenever some dumbarse doesn't disconnect the battery before welding the ECU is the one that gets killed by the Welders extremely high electrical currents.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:33:59 am by BleedingGumsCityFool »
I provide a technical examination and cynical evaluation of the equipment and practices of prepping.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 06:16:10 am »

Faaaark me. Easier to just get an older diesel vehicle I would think. :)
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2017, 11:23:16 am »

None of that shit in my old rodeo diesel!
Just a shutoff valve/solenoid for the diesel!
50 cent fuse would be the only problem. :)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2017, 07:08:11 pm »

Lanz Bulldog tractor is looking good  ;)

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2017, 07:24:09 pm »

Now that is getting a bit long in the tooth!
Uncle had one when I was a kid and it was bloody old then.
Single cylinder and shotgun cartridge to start the pilot motor. :o ;D ;D

Scout

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:35 pm »

l was thinking of the blow lamp & bump start style - Not much good for a quick get away though.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 07:20:27 pm »

First wife was bump start till I figured cold water worked better.
She will be late for her own funeral that one!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Top Posters This Week