Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 1
  • *Guests: 40
  • *Total: 41

Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 240

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 659445 times)

aus.templar

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
How did you prepare today?
« on: August 25, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »

Hey guys,
I'm making this thread because there a few similar ones on another forum I frequent and I find it good for giving me ideas, motivation and a bit of healthy competition.

Prepping is an incremental thing, you can't go out and spend $20k on a 'survival kit' and with no other preparation expect to be the last one standing after the Rage virus gets out...

So to share the little, or big, steps you've taken today to give others ideas, get us into the habit of prepping little bits regularly and lets face it.. show off occasionally.

How did you prepare today? If it was yesterday, or over the previous weekend... we're not going to know, or care.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:33:09 pm by aus.templar »

aus.templar

Re: How did you prepare today?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 12:16:50 pm »

I'll start us off by going first.

-Shopped around for a mountain bike, looking at what features I want and can fit into my budget.
-Bought a tent from Kathmandu You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I know orange is super-tactical. But if I'm camping and something goes wrong it's easy to find.. and if I've bugged out, I can just cam it up if need be.

Jay

• VIP Forum┬áSupporter
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:52:30 pm »

Had an old machette in the shed, all rusty etc - so, got all the rust off (wire bit on a drill), then polished it, and sharpened it - looks just like a bought one.
Todays' goal is to do same with my 3 long handle axes.

TRG_OzzyMarksman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:34:13 pm »

Tested out my New diff locks and wheel setup on a hill that I have Never been able to get up before and low and behold ended up bringing home a lovely young Fallow. Got her with a Sako TRG 42 at 735m with a 9% decline, using a 300 grain VLD brass projectile with 105 grains of AR2225. She dropped the moment of impact and did not move again at all. It was a perfect kill and what I always aim for. Deer are a pest species but I love them and respect them greatly so always do my utmost for an instant death.
She's hanging up in the cool room now resting for a week, then ready to butcher and Deep freeze. Usually get enough meat of one this size for about 5 to 6 weeks.

So the difflocks are absolutely Brilliant and made the Cruiser in to an unstoppable machine! This hill that has caused me so much drama in the past and nearly had me rolling off the side of the embankment numerous times was so easy for it this time I'm actually pissed that I didn't invest in locks well before two weeks ago! for those that have an offroad truck, I highly recommend Eaton diff lockers and Cooper 35 inch ST-T's! the Cruiser just walked up this rocky slippery mountain track with absolute ease.

So my Prepps were, stocking the freezer with meat and road testing my bush rig to make sure it was worth the 5 grand it cost in Locks. Also done 20 loads of VLD rounds for ultra long distance shots.

remnantprep

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:48:03 am »

Relocated food storage, has taken me two days so far!
Stocktaked as I  moved it.
Looked up price for long term food storage.

The steps I Have taken for prepping.

1) Got together a box with basic foods, rice, beans etc enough for couple of weeks. This was my first prep.
2) Started Bug Out Bags.
3) Set budget for Food storage has taken a year to build up about 3 months worth of food (prob need to go faster on this)
4) Updated BOBs.
5) Bought Shelf Reliance food storage can rotation rack.
6) Made two boxes to keep in car enough for four for 3 days. So if we do bug out in vehicle with our BOBs and stuff in car there is enough for 6 days for four of us.
7) Am now working on longer term food storage and finding a suitable cook stove. Have got dutch oven and fire pit but want something easier to use.
Proverbs 21:20

In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has.

aus.templar

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:01 pm »

Couldn't find this thread, it's been moved into "quality board" oo00o0o0oo haha.

Last week I put a deposit on a ruger mk3
Yesterday I bought two of the same model of bicycle. I assembled one and I'm keeping the other a spare or for parts. I bought the usual accessories, a couple of pumps, inner tubes, flashing lights for riding at night, and a helmet. Gonna find a milk crate I can zip tie to the front of it.. old school style.

GisbornePrepper

• Jr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:26 pm »

Planted a new season crop of corn. Heirloom seeds of course so I can save the seeds for next season.

Stored 10Kg of long grain rice in Mylar bags.

Skill set:
- Agriculture
- Food preservation
- Hydroponics
- Alcohol manufacturing and distillation
- Level 2 first aid
- Cooking with food storage
- Riflemanship
- Ammunition reloading

TacticalMonkey

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »

Making bulk jerky and sealing in Mylar bags.
Sussing out free live stock on gumtree.
Reccied fish fingerlings in the area
Relocating aqua culture tanks to cooler shed in modifying set up.

Drooling over TRG's .338
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys!

Overlord

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »

Just been stocking up on foodstuffs, batteries, aluminum foil and charging batteries (18650 and CR123A).

had the car checked and will begin the restoration in October
"Who Says Preppers Are Crazy? They Are Right! We Are Crazy! Crazy About Life, Family, God, and Country!

TRG_OzzyMarksman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »

Hey Monkey how do you do your Jerky mate???? ;)

aus.templar

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 04:51:55 pm »

Went for my first bike ride in over a decade, you don't forget how to ride but it sure is harder than I remember it. It's a different sort of fitness to running endurance, so I'm going to have to go for regular bike rides if I want to be able to rely on the bike for fuel-free transport.

And not directly prepping, but worked 3 back to back shifts at different jobs. Preps ain't free and just living is expensive

gaz54au

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

Great thread!!!
Today I bought another 20kg potatoes and 10kg beef to can!
Jinny has just planted tomatoes and other veggies in the hot house!
We also relocated our prep to a cooler room for now! (Can't wait till we get our own block and my cellar..lol)

TacticalMonkey

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 07:27:50 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey Monkey how do you do your Jerky mate???? ;)

I mix it up. The last batch was a really lean top side with no fat.
5-7 cm long and 3-5mm thick.
Teriyaki satchel, chopped chilli finely, crushed garlic, a smokey buffalo sauce and a touch of brown vinegar.
Marinade for 4 hours and then dehydrate usually for 10-12 hours on medium setting.

Let it cool and Mylar bag it.

Mr Pete

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 07:49:47 pm »

House hunting!

Hopefully Mrs Pete, the kids and I will be able to move house in the next couple of months. We're pretty much stuck to the metro area (Perth), so we're looking to stay away from military bases, industrial areas and commercial centres. A heck of a lot to consider, though. We may have found something out of the way enough, but with defensive potential if TSHTF.

I'm hoping to take the family to a museum tomorrow; hopefully we'll pick up some old-school ideas for everyday tasks if the grid goes down. I truly do enjoy museums for that type of thing.

TacticalMonkey

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »

Levelled a large pad out with the dozer for the chook shed, water tank and goat stable.

Played hide and go seek with the mutts (bull Arabs) in the ghillies. Got way to hot with the heat after about 15 minute so cut that away.

Cleaned the rifles and put a new damp rid in the safe.

Discussed an approval from the minister for war and finance about a couple containers for storage and upgrade to an dedicated armoury for all the gats and gear so it stops taking so much room. Got approved but have to wait until after Christmas.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 240

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
MariaRoark1 1
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1