Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 49150
  • *Total Topics: 4390
  • *Online Today: 68
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 48
  • *Total: 48
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 224

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 554388 times)

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: How did you prepare today?
« Reply #3075 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:19 am »

An old Nuffield Universal 3.
Will start again but wont run. Adjusting throttle makes no difference. Linkage is fine. The bowl on the fuel filter is stuck on but fuel no sign of water. maybe the air filter could be choked?
Have to go back down there (70  klicks) tomorrow and wave spaniards at it.

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3076 on: January 16, 2018, 08:37:05 am »

If it is petrol then you only have compression, fuel and spark to consider.
Sounds like a fuel problem.
Cooler day yesterday. Continued with watering orchard to keep young avocado trees growing.
Picked 2 of our watermelons as they tassles had dried off, and they sound good to the knuckle tap.
Bloody moths and caterpillars continue to attack cucumbers. Every morning same thing, turn over leaves and squash the turds! Mangoes are just about buggered now and have a heap frozen for ron.
Dehydrating bananas and one dragon fruit for the hell of it.
Hoping for another cooler day outside.
Though we have been making 70kws a day gridtie feedin so I am expecting a tidy cheque after the meter reading! :)
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

sea-dove

« Reply #3077 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49:45 pm »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bloody moths and caterpillars continue to attack cucumbers. Every morning same thing, turn over leaves and squash the turds!

you know what you need... more birds  :P

***so far so good, only thing to be attacked this week by caterpillar was the kale and that one caterpillar is a ghostie now***

Im off to the store soon to get some more climbing stuff for the plants.  Trying to vertical garden as much as I can in the small space.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:58:14 pm by sea-dove »

grenadier

« Reply #3078 on: January 16, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

The tractorsaurus runs on diesel. Been a good old girl.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3079 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:44 pm »

Had the same problem with my cucumbers :(  Got a worm infestation and lost 70% of our crop or about 200kgish

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3080 on: January 16, 2018, 01:35:04 pm »

The tractorsaurus runs on diesel. Been a good old girl.
Did you check the diesel, what about the pump, pressure???

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3081 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »

I ordered today another 2000 Toilet Paper Tablets

For those of you who don't know what it is here is a video  ;)

Got them today  :)  Not bad at all, got here in 7 days ;)

grenadier

« Reply #3082 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:07 pm »

Not yet Odzy. Tomorrow, if I can get down there again without something stuffing plands up around here.

sea-dove

« Reply #3083 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:51 pm »

Im having issues with my New Zealand zams.. does anyone got any idea what is probably wrong.

One suddenly died (and now im wondering if the other is headed the same way as it wasnt looking as good this morn).   I dug the suddenly died one the other day up as I thought if it isnt going to grow I may as well eat the yam but when I dug it up I was shocked to find thou it had got 10cms of very busy growth above ground before it suddenly died, the yam had no undergrowth at all (other then the original yam I'd planted)... it had no roots coming from the yam at all.  I would of thought it would of had some roots or underground growth.

I thought maybe it killed it due to over watering it but the yam from underground looked healthy and in the same state underground as when it had been planted months earlier. It didnt have any rot at all on it.

Nothing had started to eat the underground yam..just nothing else down there. Why would it have no shoots or nothing underground coming off of yam?  I dont know how to fix this issue as i cant work out what Ive done wrong. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:25:03 pm by sea-dove »

Treya

« Reply #3084 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:03 pm »

Right now Im only managing to dry 50-60 apricots every 2-3 days when fairly warm and Im now having fruit go rotten on me faster then I can do anything with so I want to be able to speed up this process.   (even with all the apricots I put out to dry today, Ive got 8-10kg of apricots still in the fridge and more on the tree still).
What about pureeing some fresh apricots and putting in ziplock bags and lay in freezer to freeze in flat blocks and that way you can make more jam, fruit leather, smoothies, etc. later on after the tree finishes fruiting and you have finished drying what you can in the dehydrator. The separate bags means you can also take smaller quantities out to use rather than whole large containers.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3085 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:41 am »

Is that the small ball shaped yam Seadove?
If so they off and carry on all the time.
I do not dig them up unless we wanna eat some.
This year they are growing under passionfruit vine part shade and seem to be doing well even in summertime.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

sea-dove

« Reply #3086 on: January 17, 2018, 09:06:21 am »

Right now Im only managing to dry 50-60 apricots every 2-3 days when fairly warm and Im now having fruit go rotten on me faster then I can do anything with so I want to be able to speed up this process.   (even with all the apricots I put out to dry today, Ive got 8-10kg of apricots still in the fridge and more on the tree still).
What about pureeing some fresh apricots and putting in ziplock bags and lay in freezer to freeze in flat blocks and that way you can make more jam, fruit leather, smoothies, etc. later on after the tree finishes fruiting and you have finished drying what you can in the dehydrator. The separate bags means you can also take smaller quantities out to use rather than whole large containers.

thanks Treya but no room thou left in the freezer cause Ive been stewing them in the crock pot so i think the only option I have at this point is getting as many dry as possible.  I could be doing a years supply of fruit for myself during this month if I could keep up with this.

Jam isnt much good for me as I dont eat bread or jam due to my carb issues  (and besides I dont have a usable stove so it would mean if I did make jam and gave it away, I'd be trying doing it on a bbq outside but my bbq area isnt fenced off from my wallabies yet so I'd be worried about them burning themselves on the bbq and Id be likely to collapse while trying to stand there stirring it.

(I cant stand for long as BP etc flips out.. severe dysautonomia, I have support workers just to do my dishes as I would end up hospital just from standing at sink to do those. I need to do most things sitting with my legs raised up due to my blood volume issues so drying fruit, I can do that but anything standing for a few minutes at some kind of cooker standing, is out for me  **sighs** picking the apricots has been very difficult for me and I have more probably starting to rot on the tree as i can only pick tiny amounts at a time. Its bugging me that Im watching food go to waste.

To help my problem with standing,  Im trying to grow a lot bush and underground food plants which I can sit to harvest  (its amazing how much stuff which can be done sitting on the ground with a trowel). Thou Im also needing to do a lot of vertical gardening **urgh bad for standing issues** due to small space.

Anyway, I need to find a way to be able to dry fruit faster. Next apricot harvest time I'll try to make sure I have the glass I could do with for this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:40:30 am by sea-dove »

sea-dove

« Reply #3087 on: January 17, 2018, 10:17:52 am »

Is that the small ball shaped yam Seadove?
If so they off and carry on all the time.
I do not dig them up unless we wanna eat some.
This year they are growing under passionfruit vine part shade and seem to be doing well even in summertime.

yes its that small funny shaped ballish one.  I havent eaten it yet.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3088 on: January 17, 2018, 11:15:57 am »

Leave them in the ground or dig them out and plant them in cooler months.
They can be stored in brown paper bags in the vege crisper for a few months.

sea-dove

« Reply #3089 on: January 18, 2018, 01:24:08 am »

Leave them in the ground or dig them out and plant them in cooler months.
They can be stored in brown paper bags in the vege crisper for a few months.

:( I think my support worker threw out the NZ yam I dug out other day due to not knowing what it was while I was in bed sick, I only today noticed it was gone. I had it sitting in my kitchen window ceil while I was thinking about what to do with it but moved it from there and put it into a container on my  kitchen top as I thought it was at risk of her cleaning in the window.. and now it seems to have disappeared.  Its frustrating when you have people in your home ditching things not knowing they are throwing out things you want.

2-3 weeks ago they lost seeds from the only plant I had left which I managed to successfully grow from my 17-19+ year old Japanese turnip seeds  (as it was on the cupboard she actually washed the container they were in, not seeing the seeds in it as she didnt have her glasses on).  I was not happy.  Im really hoping I'll be able to get more seeds from that last plant.

They NZ yams did spend about 4months in the fridge in dry sand (they came with storage instructions) before they were planted out at when I was told to plant them out.. and then spent several months or so in the ground.  I think I'd started to plant them out mid spring hence why I was surpised to find they grew nothing underground... they'd been in for a while.

thanks I'll leave the other one in the ground if it appears to have died and see if it regrows.  I feel disappointed i missed out on tasting the other I'd brought in.

I wasnt able to get outside and do anything today as it was just too hot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:40:43 am by sea-dove »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 224

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
doomsdayprepper4570 5