Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: The Bunker
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 12:08:06 pm]
by grenadier
[Today at 08:37:29 am]
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 08:06:04 am]
by grenadier
[October 20, 2018, 11:40:30 pm]
by doomsdayprepper4570
[October 20, 2018, 02:19:28 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50190
  • *Total Topics: 4448
  • *Online Today: 94
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 44
  • *Total: 44
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 236

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 636317 times)

crazycatlady

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
    • Juniper Cottage - living simply
Re: How did you prepare today?
« Reply #3090 on: January 18, 2018, 07:08:50 am »

Finally got my act together to send my sewing machines/ overlocker for servicing.  Pretty horrible - hasn't been used for years and the dust is thick on them. 

But interestingly, I had a lot of trouble finding a service man.  Used to be one on every block back in the day.  Could be a good opportunity there for anyone who likes inside work with no heavy lifting.  I talked to one lady yesterday who drove for over two hours one way to drop machines off for servicing and then had to go back and pick them up.  I'm lucky - only one hour for me YAY!

Surprised to find that while some craft work is very popular, sewing is totally out, due to the fact that clothes are so cheap now - why would you bother?  Some exclusive church groups still promote sewing of clothes.  They will become Australia's amish.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3091 on: January 18, 2018, 07:46:52 am »

There was a bloke in bundaberg doing sewing machine services. Name eludes me atm, but I am sure they have a retail shop in bourbong street.
Quiet day watering orchard, made a few drums of stock pellets and other chores.
Should be on the roof cleaning solar arrays, but the glare is crazy atm. A job for late arvo.
Picked up sons second bank of new trojan L16H A/C batteries for his house yesterday.
Quick way to drop nearly $6 K! Got leads ends cut and soaking in cleaner in prep for lead building.
Just have to get more heavy fine cable same size as I used when the other bank was put
together.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

graynomad

• Rob's website
« Reply #3092 on: January 18, 2018, 08:56:17 am »

Surprised to find that while some craft work is very popular, sewing is totally out, due to the fact that clothes are so cheap now - why would you bother? 

The same would apply to items such as fire pokers I think, and yet it seems that blacksmithing is having a resurgence. Maybe sewing isn't "retro" enough :)
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

sea-dove

« Reply #3093 on: January 18, 2018, 09:40:02 am »

urgh service people.  The garden guy did not show up AGAIN the other day. When you do find them half the time they are unreliable. Im having trouble finding a good gardener, you'd think when they get paid $55-$60 per hour they'd bother to show up or even phone when they've decided they've got too busy with other things again.  Now Ive got him booked in for Monday.

Ive run out of most size pots now so urgently need him to do the leveling for me and weeding under the black plastic Ive had down for many months trying to kill the couch grass under it, so I can start getting some of the plants in pots actually in the ground so I can resuse the pots.

Its too hot for me to go outside and do anything already this morn, it was 33.3C before 9am so another day of apricots left to rot on the tree.  Its going to get to 40C today. 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:46:04 am by sea-dove »

grenadier

« Reply #3094 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:19 pm »

Got the old tractor running again. Seems there is a built in failsafe that kills engine when oil level drops too low. Picked a bucketful of organic vine ripened tomatoes, lots more coming on. They wake up your mouth with strong flavour, not like those bland tasteless shop bought ones.
Checked water melons, growing nicely hidden in the grass and weeds. Hubbard squash the size of footballs and no sign of leaves wilting yet. Grow --- you good things.

sea-dove

« Reply #3095 on: January 23, 2018, 10:22:58 am »

urgh lost my post, Ill try again.

Not much has been happening here due to the heat but we are having a break from it now.

My apricots which I thought I was over having ones suitable for drying, I found out I still some suitable for drying in the fridge, so that is happening now (and I still got some more to dry another day).   Only 2 slightly still green ones left on the tree now other then what is in fridge.

Today I realised Ive been missing one of my native bush food berries(Billardiera cymosa - sweet apple berries) riping (I thought the birds had been picking the berries before ripening but I realise now I probably was expecting the berries to go to a different colour then they go to so they were probably riping all along and falling off the tree into the mulch and I wasnt noticing it,

As soon as I noticed the berries are falling off the vine (a sign they should be ripe).. I tried one (they look like grubs) and found they have an interesting taste, nothing really to compare it to other then it being slightly methyl in flavour with their own distinct fruity taste (no bitterness nor peppery taste).  They are fairly seedy but being a soft berry very easy to squish the berry in ones mouth and spit out the little seeds if one doesnt want to eat them.  I spat the seeds out as Im not sure till I do more research if the seeds are toxic or not, these berries are toxic till ripe so I just ate one for now in case Im making a mistake but it was fruity and sweet.

Some more of the bird scaring stuff I brought came in the mail yesterday.

The blackberries I was trying to grow from seed still didnt come up (not sure how long they can take to germinate so maybe Im just being impatient) so Ive asked someone to try to get me a roadside cutting.

The gardener spent 2 hrs tidying up my garden yesterday but unfortunately time ran out before he could do the levelling im after someone to do before I can do more planting out (Its a 40-50 cm wide  by 6-8m long area but that 50cm width is on quite a slope so water just runs off the area).  He told me wasnt free again till a months time **sighs**  Im having seedlings in pots die while Im waiting to get the help I need to get where I want to put them sorted.

Gardener had insisted he do my front lawn and the whipper snipping first. I think they tend to avoid the harder jobs and hate doing any digging thou that lawn wasnt going to seed as someone had gone out there and broke all the seed heads off for me while I was waiting for the gardener and that would of waited.  Im feeling frustrated, I just want to pay and get someone to do the job, I should of insisted more he did the digging stuff first.  Trying to use some emotional blackmail on him now to get him to come back sooner then one months time (by that time the lawn will need doing again and I'll go throu this same shit with him telling me he only has time for that), by telling him I have already lost a few plants which need to go into that spot while waiting (which is true).

and resorting to pleading now on a couple of websites for someone in Adelaide to come and help me and I"ll give them good money. FFS no one seems to want $50 an hour if it involves having to use their muscles and use a shovel.  This is ridiculous  (I'm often paying the gardener more then this when I can get him to come). What's up with the male city folk? Its like they cant handle some hard work, this kind of thing is nothing to the country folk. I'd be trying to do this myself in little bits at a time if I didn't have a frozen shoulder still with tore tendons.

I wish I was still living in the country as seriously it shouldn't be this hard to get help.  "I don't want to weed, I only do poisoning" (as three different gardeners told me)..   and now I cant get one to do digging. WTF gardeners who cant be bothered using a shovel!! (these don't just advertise that they only do lawn mowing either and do advertise they do all general garden stuff, pruning and that but obviously they don't like doing anything which will take them a bit of effort.

The gardener yesterday when he FINALLY showed up after letting me down two weeks straight and not showing up when arranged, he didn't didn't bring a shovel with him thou I'd told him I wanted a part of the garden leveled out (that should of been my warning that the guy was in avoidance mode, he probably was hoping I wouldn't have a shovel).

One gardener I had.. he rocked up drunk with a mate,  both with beer bottles in hand and got very loud. He was aggressive due to drunkenness and bailed me up against my house  and I ended up clobbering him (I slapped his face to get him to back up and away from me) cause I felt threatened in this situation and got scared (his aggressioness freaked me out and I went into fight or flight mode and I couldn't really take flight), to which he then ended up saying he was going to the police to have me charged with assault. His also drunk friend, ended up having to tell him he had being ridiculous and best not doing that and dragged him off.   ***sighs, needless to say I never phoned him again**

(Ive been in an abusive relationship in the past and if I believe someone is about to hit me, I'll hit them first to try to protect myself)

Its crazy the amount of issues Ive had with gardeners
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:13:23 am by sea-dove »

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3096 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:47 pm »

Sounds to me like you wanna get the work done on the cheap...  well like the old say "you get what you pay for" in the end.
Next time get a reputable gardener who for the right $$ will show up on time, do the job properly, and would not come drunk or abuse you lol
Looking for someone on the cheap and you will mostly get this type of idiots showing up. 

sea-dove

« Reply #3097 on: January 23, 2018, 06:30:16 pm »

Sounds to me like you wanna get the work done on the cheap...  well like the old say "you get what you pay for" in the end.
Next time get a reputable gardener who for the right $$ will show up on time, do the job properly, and would not come drunk or abuse you lol
Looking for someone on the cheap and you will mostly get this type of idiots showing up.

Im paying the going rate for a gardener (at the normal pension rate prices they charge which is just $5 cheaper then they charge non pensioners) so that isnt cheap here at all actually. The only one which I did try to get on the cheap was that one who showed up drunk so since that incident I only get proper registered ones.  All the others are so called qualified gardeners with proper registered businesses to which Im paying the normal pricing too.  This is why Im so peaved about this whole thing.

They just have so much work they can do that they actually really pick and choose their jobs.   I had a really good one when I moved here but he got snapped up by a big company to do their gardens so he stopped doing home gardens for people as he then didnt get time for us too.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:33:58 pm by sea-dove »

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3098 on: January 23, 2018, 06:33:26 pm »

Was the weather maybe to hot or something, doesn't make sense that they don't want the job :(

sea-dove

« Reply #3099 on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:29 pm »

Was the weather maybe to hot or something, doesn't make sense that they don't want the job :(

they just have so much work odzy that they are just taking the easy jobs.

the month before xmas I phoned quite a few trying to just get my lawn done but everyone was already booked out. The one I have now wasn't even going to take on me at all as when I phoned he said he wasn't taking on new clients as he was so busy, I had to literally try to convince him to.   They are all like this, just lots of work out there so they can be fussy and they are changing high rates for gardening in this area.. all of them but Ive been willing to pay that.  (they charge $15-20 per hour more here then where I previously lived just due to this area).

He's got lucky so far with me heatwise as every time Ive been booked in with this one its been under 30C.

After I had such trouble with the proper registered gardeners here not showing up in the past etc etc.  I did actually try to get a couple of school kids and a couple of college students to work here and did offer them not as much money as what the registered gardeners charge who have all their equipment too and pay taxes etc.  I offered schoolie kids $25-35 per hour cash in hand (I kept offering more and gave up when they still wouldn't do it at $35 per hour) which would of been great money for them but I couldn't even get those too as they said "gardening is too hard" "I hate gardening".

They rather get paid half that at their night pizza delivery jobs or their jobs at McDonalds or choose not to work at all and just scab money off of their parents ie my neice who lived 10mins away who wouldnt even take the job and wasnt working or going to school at all.  Completely relying on her parents uptil she was 19 years old (At 20 she still only takes Mc Donalds jobs or easy jobs at camps. She's gone to America right to now for a summer camp for 3mths... oh it must be a winter camp or I have country wrong. But they have long school holiday camps whatever country she's gone to now. Her life is like a holiday).

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:02:23 pm by sea-dove »

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3100 on: January 23, 2018, 07:28:16 pm »

Made the cables up for sons 2nd battery bank and wired it all together yesterday.
Went back this morning and wired the new bank into system and checked it was charging on the second array. All good now. 1740 amps at 24 volts not to shabby. Checked cattle over back country and a few more newborn calves on the ground now. Everything is rolling fat and will sell some more at next months sale. Got some mangoes in the dehydrator tonite and smells good, lol. Made up a few more drums of corn pellets this arvo and got smoker ready for tonites pork chops and that smells real good atm!  ;D
Just having a quiet bundy rum on the rocks as I am trying to cut out all un-necessary sweet drinks.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

grenadier

« Reply #3101 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:40 am »

Slashing. More slashing. Checking my tadpoles.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3102 on: January 24, 2018, 07:37:38 am »

Ha ha, you need a couple of four legged slashers mate!
So dry here atm I use sprinklers most days. Was hoping for some rain from the monsoonal trough.

grenadier

« Reply #3103 on: January 24, 2018, 07:41:58 am »

I'm slashing tea tree, the useless type. Even the goats won't eat it.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3104 on: January 24, 2018, 02:48:16 pm »

Velpar mate!
One squirt per brush and they are toast.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 236

Top Posters This Week