Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 43
  • *Total: 43
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 240

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 659418 times)

crazycatlady

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
    • Juniper Cottage - living simply
Re: How did you prepare today?
« Reply #3270 on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:49 am »

Just had to let you know that our apple cider experiment didn't work out.  think hubby left it sit for too long in the heat after bottling.  However, we now have 25l of very nice smooth apple cider vinegar, made organically.  so I figure that has to be good for something.

Thought about using it on the animals and then I see that they have finished a double blind test showing that apple cider vinegar drunk diluted before a meal prevents blood sugar spiking and over a period of 8+ weeks, lowers cholesterol by 10%.  I have also found out that you can make herbal tincture from vinegar rather than from alcohol so that has to be something to look into.

Never say die - I will get this right - it just takes some experimentation considering we are working without any recipes but mate down the road makes a great persimmon vinegar every year.

And in the test, they had a group drinking malt vinegar and it had NO effects whatsoever.  So it is something in the apples themselves which becomes beneficial.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3271 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:54 am »

People up the road mowed their spare acre & I picked up one meter high ute load of wet grass. It is still on the back of ute as I am very wary of getting bogged or just losing traction around my banana stands & not being able to get back up the hill. There is another one or two loads of grass still to collect but gotta unload the first & do not feel like dropping in on the concrete driveway & having to double handle it.

grenadier

« Reply #3272 on: March 08, 2018, 09:16:58 am »

That's a good handy resource GG.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3273 on: March 08, 2018, 12:18:42 pm »

This makes it 10 ute loads so far this year. I used to have to rake the acre to get it but the last three times the mowing contractor has pushed the clipping up into big piles with his mower for me.

Council has a contractor mow a acre block that is part of the old stock route - long paddock at the bottom of my street. I used to rake & collect that too but not really needed it since I got that 25 cubic meters of sawdust from the sawmill for $25 loading fee.

grenadier

« Reply #3274 on: March 08, 2018, 02:41:00 pm »

What are your lotto numbers ---seems like you have everything else nailed down.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3275 on: March 08, 2018, 03:35:40 pm »

If I won Lotto I wouldn't be scavenging grass clippings to mulch my fruit trees. LOL
I'd buy mulch in & hire a gardener to do all my work. I've just come in from spreading mulch & pulling weeds from around trees & almost got bogged as it is not a 4x4.
I'd buy cans of longlife food, get a 210 kg bottle of LPG, put irrigation under my trees, get the leak in dam fixed & double the size of my garage to hold more books & pay council rates 10 years in advance. 

grenadier

« Reply #3276 on: March 08, 2018, 03:38:45 pm »

Them council rates are a worry. When all falls to bits they'll still be there with their hands out. And they'd make good moving targets if you could get the bastards to run.

Malewithatail

« Reply #3277 on: March 09, 2018, 10:54:46 am »

Fitted an auto door opener to one of the choock tractors, to open the door when the daylight comes. Making annother one up and will fit it over the weekend. The more automatic things we can set up the more time to prepare and do important things.

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #3278 on: March 09, 2018, 09:03:23 pm »

Fitted an auto door opener to one of the choock tractors, to open the door when the daylight comes. Making annother one up and will fit it over the weekend. The more automatic things we can set up the more time to prepare and do important things.

Are you an electronics geek as well Malewithatail?
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

crazycatlady

« Reply #3279 on: March 10, 2018, 04:56:57 pm »

Yeah looked at those auto door things but I like to check out the area before I let them out in the mornings - in case of python/ goanna habitation with their mouth open, ready for the chookies to come out!  Also encouraged me to get up and get the dogs up nice and early for the chooks

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #3280 on: March 11, 2018, 07:55:36 am »

Back to the shed today ,last week never happened ,today we will get the roof on and flashings done ,finally be finished it and he will have learn,t plenty of new things , yesterday started cutting up palings got about one side done ,57 metres of palings (hardwood) to be used for combustion stove ,cut into 5 pieces about the right size to fit ,damm hot work now just got back and other side done , such a nice day and my tools are over the young blokes place think I,ll take the hog for a spin over there as the mrs is not coming with me today ,ah lovely a nice solo ride and I,m gunna fire up in a moment and let it idle in the driveway for 10 -15 minutes just to wake up the shitheads next door who came home at different times one at about 3am and the other at around 5 am because their mums away this weekend ha ha ha time to get up, nothing like a thumping alarm clock

Can,t use power tools till 10 am but bikes you can start anytime

Cheers paddler  ;D ;D ;D 8)
The brave may not live long, but , the cautious do not live at all , ride on

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3281 on: March 11, 2018, 10:18:06 am »

Decided I need to get know my surrounds much better.
E.g. Cache locations, best routes, stream locations etc.

Lots of maps on paper and on the net but I want something that will help me now and
hopefully after SHTF.

Currently experimenting with an Ipad  and a Garmin GPS.
Ipad is Wi-Fi only version - don't want mobile networks following me and
they will be one of the first high tech systems to go when SHTF.

As maps will need to be available when mobile coverage and Wi-Fi cease, they need to be downloaded
into the Ipad now.

The best app I have found so far (and there are dozens on offer) is Avenza Maps.
It doesn't do much other than show your GPS position on a map but does give easy access
to 1:25000 topographic maps of Tasmania.
These have lots of detail, watercourse names, vegetation, some forest tracks etc.
Some Avenza maps are free but  these Tasmanian ones cost $1.49 and cover a good size area.
I have only bought one as I don't think I will be venturing outside it's boundaries when the time comes.

Have found the 'Theodolite' app to be an amazing tool for measuring, range finding, route mapping etc.
although their offline outdoor maps are expensive and are poor on detail - at least for my area.
So I will probably use the two apps after SHTF.

Yes, I know, the Ipad and the GPS satellites are not going to last forever but they are useful now as preps
and will be nice if they keep going for a while later.

Both Ipad and GPS unit are easy to recharge from a small solar setup that I already have.

An extra benefit is that there are many other apps that can use these devices now for
current BAU activities.
E.g. Sygic offers a road navigation app with offline maps and directions being stored in the Ipad,
Only need Wi-Fi/mobile coverage if you want traffic reports etc. (we don't have traffic where I am - well there was one car yesterday!).
Only costs money if you want the fancy extras like having a voice to tell when to turn - handy  and maybe more
accurate than your current human commander?

Star Walk 2 offers augmented reality to show stars via the Ipad camera in conjunction with the GPS.
Might be good if you are into navigation by the stars ( I have trouble finding the Southern Cross).

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #3282 on: March 11, 2018, 07:13:24 pm »

Gee great mapping info Pedro , I have a lot of 1,25000 topo maps for a lot of areas around Tas from when we had the prospecting bug , also have an old Garmin gps 40 , no base maps just make your own using waypoints then at least we always made it back to camp after wandering around the bush for hours , I like the avenza maps after looking at them will have to get some for our area , my iPad does have mobile data but you can turn that off easy enough , or for security take the SIM card out , no tracking then ,thanks again

Cheers Paddler 8)
The brave may not live long, but , the cautious do not live at all , ride on

crazycatlady

« Reply #3283 on: March 17, 2018, 06:00:07 pm »

Hello all, weekend checkin from me.  Hope you're all good.  This week, I very much enjoyed my roses which I got from BigW last spring.  They were the high point of my week as I drove in and out the driveway.  Has anyone noticed mining ramping up again?

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIPĀ Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3284 on: March 18, 2018, 07:36:23 am »

Finally emptied the last of the 6 tonne of corn from the truck. Ran out of 200 liter screw top drums for the pelleted feed. Four new pigs have settled in and are already looking rather tasty :)
Did one of the paddocks of cattle for ticks and buffalo flys and we cut and branded the last of the calves in their as well. Just the home block to do now and they will all be tidied up for winter.
Days are getting shorter and the nights a little cooler.
We have harvested the peanuts and I have been making feed pellets out of the tops of them as well
and mixing the chop stalk and leaf with a little corn at the same time. Smells fantastic.
GG a pelleter would convert a lot of your excess grass for saleable feed if you have somewhere to store it.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 240

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1
MariaRoark1 1