Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Another new build
by Paddler
[November 17, 2018, 07:15:08 pm]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by Paddler
[November 17, 2018, 07:08:50 pm]
Re: Climate change
by Arkane
[November 15, 2018, 10:21:18 pm]
by odzy
[November 15, 2018, 07:53:53 am]
by grenadier
[November 14, 2018, 09:20:05 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2030
  • *Latest: Nugget

• *Total Posts: 50332
  • *Total Topics: 4459
  • *Online Today: 118
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 75
  • *Total: 75
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239

Author Topic: How did you prepare today?  (Read 647728 times)

doomsdayprepper4570

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
  • Keep ur powder dry and knives sharp
« Reply #3555 on: November 05, 2018, 11:55:29 am »

Put a slow mist of water over them gren if you can mate! If ya have a hose.
I planted some corn in with ours, but probably not tall enough yet to provide any real shelter.
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

grenadier

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3556 on: November 05, 2018, 01:57:27 pm »

Concerned they might get sunburnt. Give em a wee drink at sundown. I only planted Mountain corn and Sunflowers with them yesterday. Thanks for your concern, Doomie.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3557 on: November 06, 2018, 04:43:25 pm »

Went to the local permaculture meeting last night. I had not been for about 3 years. There were over 20 there. No luck with woofers but I got stuck into chipping weeds this morning after watering from 7 to 9am, 170 trees got a good soaking, & really made an impression weeding. Will do more this arvo after it cools down a bit. Just have to be consistent & I'll stay on top of it. Does not pay to let the weeds get a start or it is a lot harder. Stitch in time & all that.

Was given 12 pawpaw seedlings at the meeting. :) Lots of other freebies there, veggie seedlings- amaranth - pumpkin - rosella - passionfruit etc, but that means more work. Veggie seeds are 50 cents a packet.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3558 on: November 08, 2018, 07:27:27 am »

One year of weed = seven years of seed!
Loose ends make my arse itch and I have just clipped my finger nails. So the itch flows to my trigger finger.

Prepper03

« Reply #3559 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »

Looking at starting our bug out bags, found what looks to be some nice waterproof packs, not too big = not too heavy to lug for days on end

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Download

« Reply #3560 on: November 11, 2018, 02:05:59 pm »

Looking at starting our bug out bags, found what looks to be some nice waterproof packs, not too big = not too heavy to lug for days on end

I'd be a bit dubious about those. At such a low price the quality would very likely be disappointing. I'm all for saving cash where I can and I'm generally in opposition of the popular idea that you're better off buying the best of the best. I have a few chinese cheapies that have done the job even just as a stop-gap for saving the money to buy something better.
Something like those would probably be ok for a pre-teen's BoB because you wouldn't expect to load them up with anywhere near the weight you'd put on an adult. But as an adult's pack I'd be worried that the weight of the contents would swiftly show faults and weaknesses in the pack.
I'm cool with saving money where I can. I just think I'd be more inclined to save money for the short term by using a second hand pack that's much better quality but comes for the same price... Or even given away for free, if you're in a 'buy nothing' group on Facebook or something ;) An added bonus is that second hand often looks a bit used and faded. FANTASTIC for the grey man aspect.

Gympiegoat

« Reply #3561 on: November 11, 2018, 03:01:11 pm »

I bought another 3 soursop seedlings & 3 pecan nut seedlings, 30cm @ $2 each. Not sure how long before I plant them out. They are in small pots so can not leave them too long.

Prepper03

« Reply #3562 on: November 11, 2018, 03:24:59 pm »

Yeah I was worried about the quality as well, you are right, I was basing my searches more on cost than quality. And I guess when you put it like that, there's no substitute for survival

I'm miles away from seeds and planting, but reading through everyone's posts to get an idea of what's to come

Download

« Reply #3563 on: November 11, 2018, 04:00:48 pm »

Oh believe me, it was a struggle to get to that point myself. When I first started looking at putting a kit together, I just wanted it all now now now. There was this weird sense of urgency to get something together that made me feel 'safe'.
Well since then I've replaced everything at least once with something better. There's still some chinese kit that I bought for a few dollars on ebay (fire starters etc) because they work well and have been pretty darn reliable.

But I had to splash out and buy a few things at a bit of a higher premium. Knives, my pack, first aid kit and a few other things that I consider to be absolutely essential to have upgraded first, so I spent a few hundred over a few months and got those first. I made good use of Afterpay/ZipPay etc. to do it mind you ;) haha.
We're miles of planting etc. too, but being in here and seeing what other people are procuring and sewing themselves is definitely helpful.

Prepper03

« Reply #3564 on: November 11, 2018, 04:29:22 pm »

That's exactly how I feel, now that I'm committed and I'm comfortable with the decision, everything is now now now!  Some days I have to stop planning altogether, get way too excited and caught up in the moment, everything needs to be bigger and better and I end up back at square 1

You have helped lock in my decision, quality gear equals survival so I'm saving my $ and getting all quality right from the start.  I'm yet to use those new pay systems but I like the idea of it. Just in a rush for the bug out bags, I've no confidence in the human race and at least the bags will buy us a few days

This is my latest find, I'm thinking one person carries shelter, one carries supplies

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 04:36:04 pm by Prepper03 »

Download

« Reply #3565 on: November 11, 2018, 05:28:15 pm »

That's exactly how I feel, now that I'm committed and I'm comfortable with the decision, everything is now now now!  Some days I have to stop planning altogether, get way too excited and caught up in the moment, everything needs to be bigger and better and I end up back at square 1

You have helped lock in my decision, quality gear equals survival so I'm saving my $ and getting all quality right from the start.  I'm yet to use those new pay systems but I like the idea of it. Just in a rush for the bug out bags, I've no confidence in the human race and at least the bags will buy us a few days

This is my latest find, I'm thinking one person carries shelter, one carries supplies

I'll start a new thread on this, don't want to derail the 'How did you prepare today" theme. But there's definitely pros and cons to carrying shelters like this.

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3566 on: November 11, 2018, 08:25:05 pm »

Getting ready to release 12 more half grown turkeys to the freerange lifestyle.
Give em one more week on reliable rations.
Starting to get berries from our blueberry plants.
Sold a few more Jack Russell pups for the wife.
In need of some more rain and the grass is starting to hay off in patches.
Pumpkins and corn are racing ahead and peanuts are up as well. We have bagged about 80 kgs of young grapes.
Got a plum tree full of fruit and covered. Just have to do the blood plums now.
Ok crop of mangoes and a few avocados on. Star apples are in full swing and popular with friends.
Fair crop of mac nuts as well. Wife's got some kang kong growing now (water loving asian green)

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #3567 on: November 11, 2018, 09:14:54 pm »

Very important to invest in a good comfortable bag when it comes to the BOB.  If you have to walk for miles in the heat you need a good integrated harness and heavy-duty canvas materials.

Here is one of ours: 

doomsdayprepper4570

« Reply #3568 on: November 12, 2018, 07:24:23 am »

Nice one Oz! :)

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #3569 on: November 12, 2018, 03:56:43 pm »

We have a couple these ,are a great backpack in different sizes ,also the day pack comes off for short jaunts , may be dear but ours have lasted years with no problems even zips still good , Berghaus brand
The brave may not live long, but , the cautious do not live at all , ride on
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239

Top Posters This Week