Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Pedro
[Today at 12:24:37 pm]
Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by pinhead
[Today at 10:57:39 am]
Re: Taking my BOB for a shakedown cruise
by Arkane
[December 16, 2018, 12:58:15 pm]
Easy food hack PSHTF
by Hoopy
[December 15, 2018, 09:44:51 pm]
Re: Hi from Brisbane
by Hoopy
[December 14, 2018, 07:03:23 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50485
  • *Total Topics: 4474
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 26
  • *Total: 26
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Media article on Prepping and Preppers  (Read 2340 times)

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Media article on Prepping and Preppers
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:45:53 am »

Something that may be of interest

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Red

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
Re: Media article on Prepping and Preppers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 10:12:29 am »

Can I just point out that I'm definitely not the Red referred to in that terrible article  :-\

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:51:59 pm »

What a shitty article    :-[

Hoopy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:52:22 pm »

"Shity Article" gives it more justice than it deserves odzy LOL. He's done a written version of "Doomsday Preppers" and a shoddy one at that ... yep ya can tell he's an academic.I'd gather the years of study/research has accumulated many rejections from prepper sites while asking for knowledge donors.

Red has a $100 knife lashed to a two bit stick and the man from Vic don't look like he could bug out too far at all and showing his face...OMG.

Milspec

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:06:02 am »

I did some research on Mr Henry. He released a thesis on prepper/survivalist radicalisation in 2016 Link here -> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've scanned through but not yet read the entire 246 page thesis which is based on studying 12 years of forum posts by 125 Australian preppers. Disappointingly but unsurprisingly it paints preppers in a poor light with conclusions such as this ...

"Advancement through the various stages of the Australian survivalist development path is driven by individuals engaging in activities that gradually narrow their outlook, social associations and available future behaviour options, which inevitably steer them in the direction of new stages of progression that are increasingly uncompromising and ultimately militant."

The paper cites increasing disenchantment with government and society amongst preppers - I think that is a far more universal perspective in the general Australian community and certainly not restricted solely to the prepper community. None the less, by becoming a prepper and increasing your self-reliance and disaster preparedness the thesis author paints you as being on the path to radicalisation and becoming a security risk for Australia - hardly a good image to be tarred with. :(
... --- ...

SHTF CS KTX 27.275 & 477.075 CTCS 27

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:40:43 am »

I think it was poorly researched and in the end his thesis was twisted to suit only him. 
Reading crap like this is the main reason individuals classify us as a danger to society...  clearly not worth the trouble as a prepper to go and give interviews to anyone asking because in the end they paint us as nasty/freaky people anyway  :(

Hoopy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 02:03:14 am »

In the long run it doesn't really matter what nobs like him write , while he's wondering why there aren't cans or fresh food for the offering/purchase in stupidmarkets when TSHTF...We'll be picking and preserving for NEXT years consumption or the year after that depending on how we prepped on the fact that we can actually grow food...No radicalization there 'eh.

Quote..." which inevitably steer them in the direction of new stages of progression that are increasingly uncompromising and ultimately militant."

Well he got the "Stages of progression " right..."Progressing" being the kicker...Yep , uncompromising...when ya on a good thing stick to it and do it in a military (Not militant) fashion.It reads like a clowns clusterfark of word manipulation which by the way is no surprise to me.

I so totally think Milspec's "Pick" of paragraphs was impeccable...need one really read more of this buffoon's work though? Only if one needs to know the in-depth psych of the person you are driving pass that seems to be holding out his/her arms begging for help while you escape the tyranny of the Quote..." available future behaviour options"...You had your choice to "Optimize" sucker.

Hydrated lime some water and...some times of the year chickens don't want to lay eggs LOL.

Milspec

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:43 am »

In the long run it doesn't really matter what nobs like him write

I disagree (to an extent) because academic papers such as his will be used by issue motivated individuals/groups to shape opinion and policy which ultimately may influence your freedoms. IMHO as a prepper I think it makes sense for more people to be a bit more prepared and self sustainable when faced with a widespread crisis but when preppers are cast in such light as 'on the path to being militant radicals' people will shy away from getting involved (potentially at their own peril of course).

The part I do agree with you is that in the long run aka if TSHTF then your efforts at prepping will be what makes a difference to your situation and academic papers will be just that ... academic.

As I sit here and type this I can see my BOB and medical kit across the room and I know that my prep efforts (acquisitions, research and up-skilling) have provided some peace of mind that I can manage in a confronting situation rather than facing it with bewilderment and panic.
... --- ...

Download

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 01:05:49 pm »

I find it difficult to be concerned by this kind of puff-piece. No one I know sees me as a prepper because I don't self-identify as one. I don't need people knowing exactly who to look for when SHTF and they aren't prepared. I don't HIDE it from people, but I don't offer the info either.
I think it's easy to be offended or concerned when people put us in a bad light. It's a natural response. But ultimately it can also be used as an advantage.

Does it hurt to have people assume that as a prepper, you're not a soft target? Probably not. Does it hurt to have random strangers think you're a bit unhinged? Dunno, but as I'll never meet them it doesn't really rate at all on my give-a-shit-o-meter ;D .
Anyone that actually knows me knows I'm just a pragmatist. And possibly weirdly organised when I whip out a sewing kit in front of them because they've popped a button.

And my final jab... "A thesis submitted in fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY". Soft sciences. I mean... I guess I'll sleep comfortably at night knowing that I can feed, shelter, and protect my family in an emergency. He can, I don't know, try to start a fire with his thesis? Or something? *chuckle*.

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 09:00:22 pm »

If I may clarify please …..

I posted the link, not to suggest this dudes methods/ideas et al, were worthy of consideration. Clearly they are not.

I have seen a few mainstream media articles like these and this one I linked to a post to show others what appears in the MSM at times. If there are more articles like these, and for sure there will be, I'll again post a link to them.

By the way, when/if TSHTF and it all goes to hell in a handbasket, the last thing I will be relying on is a Cold Steel Recon tied to a stick with some paracord.

And Ozprepper "Red" - I have read quite a few of your posts here and FWIW no one with the brains they were born with would mistake "you" for "him".

graynomad

• Global Mod & VIP Forum Supporter
    • Rob's website
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 06:48:51 am »

The article is BS, typical crap of this genre, I wonder how accurate that stick/knife is at 500 yards. And if I see one more "prepper" wearing a f*cking gas mask I'll scream :)
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.

odzy

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 08:51:37 am »

That gas mask is ancient and the filter he uses is laughable in a real CBRN situation  ::)

Heisenberg

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 09:40:45 pm »

I just posted most of the following over at the AusPrep Forum.

Link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I did not write the recent news.com.au article, titled 'Aussie Preppers Show Us Their Kits'. I was contacted months ago by the author of that article [her name is clearly identified on the article page] and asked to answer some questions in relation to my PhD thesis findings. I had no control over the format of the article at all and I do not endorse this kind of reporting on the Australian Survivalist Sub-Culture. In fact, in my thesis [p. 41], I make it a point to identify that every media article ever written about Australian Survivalists comes across as a stand-alone entertainment piece, appearing to be focused only on maintaining marketable Survivalist stereotypes. The only difference between this latest article and all the other sensationalised ‘reporting’ in the past is that this one has someone with a PhD [that has actually bothered to take a rational look at some of the Sub-Culture’s members] saying that Australian Survivalists are people legitimately reacting to, and preparing for, valid human-made or naturally occurring potential threats.

My thesis, titled Charting The Path Of Radicalisation In The Australian Survivalist Sub-Culture, explored Survivalist ‘radicalisation’ as a behavioural and ideological development process - not a definite movement towards violence [that’s the incorrectly used media ‘version’ of the term]. My dissertation also includes other terms that could be misconstrued by those not willing to read the full explanations / discussion within the work. The label ‘Militant Survivalist’ is a term in the literal sense that identifies Survivalists that openly ‘advocate’ [promote / support / are open to] the use of violence against perceived threats, but it does not necessarily mean someone that has or will engage in acts of real physical violence in our current social circumstances. Contrary to what has been presented in the media in the past, my thesis supports one great, overarching research finding: the Australian Survivalist behavioural and ideological experience does not include a development stage that involves the perpetration of violent [extremist] acts. That is, while Australian Survivalists are found to be engaging in the activities and thought processes of their current Survivalist life-style [reflected in the identified development pathway, pp 128-140], it is unlikely that they will become a violent extremist risk. In the end, the research supports that Australian Survivalists do not desire to actively contribute to the destruction of the social systems in which we live, but more so to live beyond such catastrophic events should they occur.

Having said that though, any half-decent Security Studies researcher would be stupid not to consider the possibility of some Australian Survivalists [at some point in the future] succumbing to influences that may see them become isolated from the development path of the Sub-Culture and potentially result in them engaging in violent acts. A point that could be better argued against if it wasn’t for the incident involving Nick Newman in January this year. Unfortunately, when you are part of a sub-culture, you live and die by the actions of all its members, not just your own. 

Anyway, I won’t keep going on. My PhD was written to contribute to an academic debate only [that’s the sole purpose of them] but as a by-product it can also be used to support / validate the Australian Prepper / Survivalist life-style choice. I know that is probably of no value to you as Prepper / Survivalist individuals but it may be of benefit to you as a Prepper / Survivalist collective, if and when it comes time to defend your life-style choice.

If you wish to contact me about any of this please PM me.

SH.

PS. This bit is for 'Download' - PhD means Doctor of Philosophy [essentially, once you break the title down into its original Latin, it is a translation for 'Teacher of Higher Knowledge']. PhD does not mean Doctor 'in' Philosophy. All PhDs are a Doctor of Philosophy, with a higher research undertaking in a particular field of study; in my case the 'soft science' of Security Studies and Criminology. ;-)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:42:34 pm by Heisenberg »

Hoopy

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:48:24 pm »

Quote..."My thesis, titled Charting The Path Of Radicalisation In The Australian Survivalist Sub-Culture, explored Survivalist ‘radicalisation’ as a behavioural and ideological development process."

The Uncertainty Principle - Werner Heisenberg(Physicist) 1927.

Maybe you should seek a redaction of the article considering she miss quoted you.

Milspec

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 09:55:03 am »

Anyway, I won’t keep going on. My PhD was written to contribute to an academic debate only [that’s the sole purpose of them] but as a by-product it can also be used to support / validate the Australian Prepper / Survivalist life-style choice. I know that is probably of no value to you as Prepper / Survivalist individuals but it may be of benefit to you as a Prepper / Survivalist collective, if and when it comes time to defend your life-style choice.

Hello, thank you for responding. I don't plan to engage in an extended public debate but I will add my 2c worth.

As the media article demonstrates it is more likely that people will use the paper to cast preppers in a poor light rather than validate their actions.

I did note that your paper stated something along the lines of 'the Aussie prepper scene largely lacks motive/intent to reach an end state of taking hostile action'  - This is clearly a critical observation which distinguishes Aussie preppers from 'militant radicals' - However it's an observation which is less likely to be noted in media articles because it identifies that Aussie preppers are moderates rather than radicals and as such it diminishes the sensationalist edge that the media likes to report.

People inevitably pick and choose their quotes (as I did) to make a point in support of their case.

I'm not in denial about the fact that a prepper could become someone who turns into a proactive militant radical but some analysis on that risk and likelihood compared to other groups in society would have been a worthy inclusion to maintain perspective.

One point that came to mind when I read your thesis - in your paper you spoke of 4 barriers to the militant endstate (I think it was 4). You didn't list plain moral values as a barrier, in my opinion that was a significant oversight. Not everyone is primarily constrained in their actions by fear of reprisals.

... --- ...

Pages: [1] 2

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Arkane 1
pinhead 1
Pedro 1