Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Economic Reset Imminent
by Peter
[Today at 10:58:02 am]
Re: How did you prepare today?
by doomsdayprepper4570
[Today at 08:51:38 am]
by Arkane
[Today at 05:31:51 am]
by shinkaro
[October 18, 2018, 10:37:45 pm]
by graynomad
[October 18, 2018, 10:23:17 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com
  • *Total Members: 2010
  • *Latest: seckioz

• *Total Posts: 50178
  • *Total Topics: 4448
  • *Online Today: 98
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 41
  • *Total: 41
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Hand Operated Water Pumps  (Read 264 times)

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
Hand Operated Water Pumps
« on: October 04, 2018, 10:48:47 am »

Hi Guys and Gals

Couple of years ago I bought a 600 acre bush block next to my "old" place. Have hunted and fished on this block for about 30 years. Anyway, in a patch of scrub near and old eucalyptus still I found a rusted away sheet of iron that had about 10-11 Ajax hand pumps, all identical. Four or five are complete and there are enough bits to put together about 5 more. They all look in surprisingly good nick and look like they would clean up OK. A few are operational and a few are seized as ants have called them home. Would need washers and gaskets.

Anyone know anything about them? Where I can get parts if still available?

They look like they would shift a fair bit of water as they have 2 plugs on each side (2 inlet, 2 outlet?) that are about 2 inch.

Be great to move water uphill to a veggy garden in a SHTF scenario maybe? Better than carrying it in buckets!

Hoopy

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
Re: Hand Operated Water Pumps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:36:08 am »

Michael Baker...0488917285...Wondunna QLD.

Leigh Baker...0428038754...Orange NSW.

Glen Carolan...0419636768...Dubbo NSW.

rwa

• Full Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:40:18 am »

Thanks Hoopy, tried them. Couldn't assist.

I did manage to locate a bloke in Queensland though who "plays" around with old piston pumps from days gone by (in some cases a LOT of days!) and I spent about an hour on the phone to him and learned a lot. Seems most are engine driven whereas mine is manual - initially steam, then petrol/diesel/kero and now electric - piston pumps that are the best part of 100 years old are still in everyday use. They are simple, and being cast iron are virtually bullet proof. Parts are easily made and there are only a couple of bits that will wear. This guy has only ever seen one Ajax L3 and was staggered that I had a treasure trove of about 10 or so.

I'm on a mission to sort one of these old jiggers out. I'll be up at the retreat tomorrow and I'll bring one back and dismantle it to get an understanding of how they work - which, according to my new bestie in Qld is dead simple. Another gem of knowledge this bloke imparted to me was to soak in molasses for a week anything that was corroded/rusted.

Incidentally while fiddling around with Mr Google yesterday trying to find bits I found an exact same model as my Ajax L3 that was operational that sold on Gumtree less than a month ago for $500!

Hoopy

• Sr. Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:34:28 pm »

It's all good rwa...I just googled Ajax pumps so it's not like I knew anything much about 'em.I did get the impression the L3's were rare as rocking horse poo though.When I looked at your pic's I gathered they would have had a brass gland around the piston shaft (Easily milled) and a dry stuffing box...like ya said not much to go wrong with 'em. Molasses is also used to de-rust old camp ovens as well.

Top Posters This Week