Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50478
  • *Total Topics: 4472
  • *Online Today: 88
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 62
  • *Total: 62
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a bunker from sleepers  (Read 1094 times)

Samantha

Re: Building a bunker from sleepers
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 05:39:51 pm »

If wanting to use containers on sloping ground dig a trench at least twice the width of your container with sloping sides and use a crib retaining wall to support the walls/sides of the trench. The trench can be deep enough to cover the container and area with a roof for rainwater collection. There is information on the net about the crib walling.

Prepper03

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 07:15:20 pm »

Cheers Samantha, I'll look it up now

Hoopy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:58 pm »

I'm not too sure but why are you using cement mortar between wooden slabs...I would imagine the two mediums would not bind/stick or adhere to each other and in any case I think the weight of the sleeper would deform the mortar as it's being laid up.

There is a bloke on King Is in the Bass straight that build a good sized cabin from real railway sleepers...if you are getting them from stunnings I'd be a bit sus on the chemicals used to treat them leaching or off gassing inside the bunker aside from the overall strength/quality.

Prepper03

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:51:44 pm »

Ooh ok, food for thought and a little disappointing, thought I was on a winner.

I knocked up a greenhouse frame and had a little hanging room on the inside due to the width of the timber I used (90mm). Was working inside it one day and just thought why not replace the shadecloth with timbers, make a solid wall. Then I thought why not bury it. And so on it went, and here I am  ;D

Hoopy

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 01:43:08 am »

Prepper03 you wrote..."This is by no means a luxury setup, I'm picturing a nice little "log" cabin underground for a safe place to bunk and feed. Few bunks screwed to the walls, small pellet stove and a buried tank for waste"

I'm just concerned about the choice of wood you are choosing and the method to construct it and I'm not saying it can't be done.Giving suggestions on a topic like this is hard if one doesn't know the true circumstance's like soil density/type slope or even accessibility to the site bugger it might even be a suburban house block for all we know. Anywhere it is it will require a lot of digging and maybe more design protocols if it was to be radiation safe and to get real answers to questions one needs to be in the light on all this and not in the dark...just saying.

Prepper03

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 04:41:00 pm »

Yep completely understood mate, at this point im just trying to put thoughts to paper, and getting opinions along the way is a huge help!

Difficult I know without providing specifics, but i don't have that information either. And if I don't know the specifics myself, it's hard to ask for specific advice.  Really just wanted to know, generally speaking, if i was on the right track. using this as a research medium as well as trusty ol' Google

Hoopy

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 09:02:19 pm »

You might try googling up "The $50 Underground House"...I found it years ago but back then he put all the info on the net but he ended up writing a book so not sure if it's still there and It wasn't nuke-proof but it sure was camouflaged.

Personally I don't think I'd enjoy living in one for real but sadly money is the difference between a good bunker and a death trap.

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 11:43:29 am »

I have a .pdf put out by the USA Dept of defence in 1962 titled "Familyshelterdesigns".

They were intended as nuclear fallout shelters,
so you get a bonus of blast and radiation protection ratings - if you are expecting that sort of SHTF.

It contains eight designs  but some are integrated into or against the family house so probably not of interest.

Five others that might be of interest are;
Outside semi-mounded plywood box
Below ground corrugated steel culvert (was a commercially available device back then)
Outside semi-mounded steel igloo (again was a commercially available kit)
Aboveground earth covered lumber A frame
Below ground new construction clay masonry.

Don't suppose the pdf can be put on the forum, but maybe can Email ?

Paddler

• VIP Forum Supporter
  • 1CDO
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »

Here,s the link

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The brave may not live long, but , the cautious do not live at all , ride on
Pages: 1 [2]

Top Posters This Week