Oz Prepper Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Donate
Happy Camper
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Have you missed your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length.

Select language:
* Recent Posts
Re: Places in Australia with the most Bush Tucker?
by Hoopy
[Today at 02:10:22 am]
AA Battery Power test
by Prepernator
[December 18, 2018, 06:22:00 pm]
by OzHippy
[December 17, 2018, 10:19:29 pm]
by Hoopy
[December 17, 2018, 09:57:42 pm]
by Arkane
[December 17, 2018, 05:30:19 pm]
Traffic
SurvivalBlog.com

• *Total Posts: 50492
  • *Total Topics: 4476
  • *Online Today: 75
  • *Most Online: 573
(July 28, 2017, 02:10:33 am)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 40
  • *Total: 40
Big River
OzPrepper Minecraft Server      OzPrepper on YouTube     

Author Topic: Off Grid Heating  (Read 233 times)

Prepper03

Off Grid Heating
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:22:52 pm »

Not sure if there's a thread somewhere already for this, but this is what you want ladies and gentlemen. No power required, no mechanics, and economical!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hoopy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
Re: Off Grid Heating
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:58:35 am »

Yeah well pellet stoves aren't common in Australia and if they were it wouldn't be as economical than cutting/splitting ya own,the only cheaper way I've seen is a rocket mass heater ya can run off sticks and twigs for free.

Pedro

• VIP Forum Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:27:52 am »

No power required, no mechanics, and economical. Hmmm all good - but post SHTF - No pellets!

A neighbour of mine runs a pellet making plant and swears that this is the heating for the 21st century.
He could be right, if BAU continues, but I'm afraid that he and his pellet maker and his supply of raw materials
are not going to be around when BAU stops.

The whole business of heating needs a lot more thought than just what would work right now.

Most are aware of rocket stoves and similar devices, but have you tried them?
I have made a couple of rocket stoves and another device (forget its name. It's a tin can which draws
air down through the fuel).
They both work after a fashion but require continuous attention to keep them going (due to the small amount
of fuel burning at any one time).
Not too bad to boil a billy but to cook a decent meal you will spend more time trying to keep the fire going right
than tending the cooking process. (All right, maybe I'm not as skilled as I need to be).

Then there is the problem of fuel.
It's going to be vegetable matter of some sort , most likely wood (unless you are a short term prepper , if so, gas will be fine).

I live on the edge of forest where there is a virtually inexhaustible supply of logs, branches, twigs etc.
But it doesn't deliver itself in usable sizes to your fireside.

So, the obvious (short term) answer is a chain saw and a means of transporting material back home.
Or if you plan on rocket stove cooking, you can hand gather twigs, locally at first, then further and further away.

Either way, there is a considerable calorie consumption in getting your fuel (especially when your chainsaw/vehicle fuel runs out and
you go to plan B - bush saw, axe and wheelbarrow).

You probably are not  getting hearty meals all that regularly.
So your calorie consumption in getting fuel, hunting and growing
better be less than your calories obtained from wichetty grubs and dandelions (or whatever you will typically dine on),
or you will deteriorate physically (and probably mentally) and be less able to carry out all those activities.

My approach is to have all the obvious options available but expecting to scale down to the simpler methods
as other fuels run out, but skipping the calorie intensive methods.
E.g. Can't use the chainsaw anymore? No more big logs, hand collect smaller branches only, minimal use of axe and saw.

Eventually, revert to a life style still used in places like rural India or how life was in rural areas in the middle ages.
Just enough fuel gathered to cook a meal a day and same fire heats your (small) habitation.
Hopefully by that stage, your hunting, growing and stick gathering techniques have improved to balance your calorie I/O.

Hoopy

• Hero Member - Trade Approved
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »

Yep that cross over from BAU to SHTF is gonna catch a few people out...we have heating/cooking and hot water supply already in place to hit the ground running all operated by wood.Off grid heating is a cinch...now off grid refrigeration demands more thought and would have a higher priority rating in my books.

Prepper03

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »

Yeah ive been looking into pellet makers too, make my own at home from everyday paper/wood waste, then stockpiling for such an occasion.

Small amount of habitat heat and boiling the Billy is my main concern atm, food stocks shouldn't require too much cooking, more heating.

Not concerned with refrigeration, although if required I plan to have solar powered generator for the absolute basics. Caveman style is what I'm thinking, back to absolute basics, before we forgot how to live without machines

Top Posters This Week
Member Posts
Hoopy 3
Arkane 2
pinhead 1
Pedro 1
OzHippy 1
Prepernator 1
MariaRoark1 1